Eugene Goosens

Started by schweitzeralan, March 02, 2009, 02:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

I've heard parts of the Oboe Concerto, and it seems like a strong work. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

vandermolen

Yes, the Oboe Concerto is really good. I hope that Chandos will release the very fine Symphony 2 maybe conducted by Andrew Davis.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I've just been listening to Goossen's Second Symphony via a cd-r made from audacity,via Youtube. This strikes me as a bit of a find,too (there have been a few,recently!) Exciting orchestration,big climaxes,colourful orchestration. It reminds me of those (somewhat annoying) Gramophone," if you like that you might like this' lists. Bax springs instantly to mind. It has that epic quality about it.I'm going to listen to No 1 again,now. I can see these going on my cd want list! I've previously been put off his music by poor quality downloads.

Christo

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 20, 2017, 09:56:52 AMI've just been listening to Goossen's Second Symphony via a cd-r made from audacity,via Youtube. This strikes me as a bit of a find,too (there have been a few,recently!) Exciting orchestration,big climaxes,colourful orchestration. It reminds me of those (somewhat annoying) Gramophone," if you like that you might like this' lists. Bax springs instantly to mind. It has that epic quality about it.I'm going to listen to No 1 again,now. I can see these going on my cd want list! I've previously been put off his music by poor quality downloads.
I love both symphonies - and both show these epic qualities very much. The performance of the Fist that I prefer - I know three and think there ar no more -  is David Measham's.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 20, 2017, 11:37:21 AM
I love both symphonies - and both show these epic qualities very much. The performance of the Fist that I prefer - I know three and think there ar no more -  is David Measham's.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I'm playing Goossens epic  First Symphony. I had his Second on a little earlier which sounds even more epic,to my ears,than his First,if that's even possible?!! :o ;D Some of this music sounds like the first two by Bax,but without the nature stuff and more of the turbulent,angry noisy,exciting stuff. The soundworld of the Second is more heated than the earlier symphony,with some quite amazing sounds coming from the orchestra...Korngold,and even Schrecker,getting the odd look in! (Did this chap ever compose any movie scores?)  If I'd had these symphonies as a youngster these are the kind of noisy blockbusters I'd have had blasting out of the speakers,with the bass turned up,driving my poor parents mad!! Exciting stuff! I'm going to have to play that Second again?!!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 19, 2017, 09:23:20 AM
I'm playing Goossens epic  First Symphony. I had his Second on a little earlier which sounds even more epic,to my ears,than his First,if that's even possible?!! :o ;D Some of this music sounds like the first two by Bax,but without the nature stuff and more of the turbulent,angry noisy,exciting stuff. The soundworld of the Second is more heated than the earlier symphony,with some quite amazing sounds coming from the orchestra...Korngold,and even Schrecker,getting the odd look in! (Did this chap ever compose any movie scores?)  If I'd had these symphonies as a youngster these are the kind of noisy blockbusters I'd have had blasting out of the speakers,with the bass turned up,driving my poor parents mad!! Exciting stuff! I'm going to have to play that Second again?!!

Perhaps my favourite composer whose best known as a conductor.

pjme

Thanks to the comments in this topic, I started searching for Goossens music ( I only have the second symphony on CD + some Everest recordings) .

On YT I discovered "The eternal rythm" - a huge wallop of youthfull orchestral extravaganza. Think of Strauss, Respighi, Scriabin ( Dukas/ La Péri, Bax?). Love it.

P.

https://www.youtube.com/v/djZQsdCqj5U

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: pjme on July 24, 2017, 05:56:32 AM
Thanks to the comments in this topic, I started searching for Goossens music ( I only have the second symphony on CD + some Everest recordings) .

On YT I discovered "The eternal rythm" - a huge wallop of youthfull orchestral extravaganza. Think of Strauss, Respighi ( Dukas/ La Péri, Bax?). Love it.

P.

https://www.youtube.com/v/djZQsdCqj5U

That sounds interesting to probe!!!

I played the symphonies, unfortunately they didn't hook me. It happened the same with some symphonies by Bax, I found them too diffuse, anyway, I'll look for other compositions.

Christo

Am playing the new CHANDOS release of Goossens' Sympony No. 2 from 1945, only the second recording available IIRC (I know at least four of Symphony No. 1).

AFAIC, Andrew Davis is very much the right conductor for this music: his Vaughan Williams is often underwhelmed (Nos. 3, 4, 5, 8 ), overstated (No. 6) and just fine in case of his favourite (No. 9, three recordings, all fine). But Goossens is a composer to his heart: this recordings leaves nothing to be desired IMHO. Strongly recommended, also because of the two companying pieces, especially the Phantasy Concerto Op. 63 (from 1946-8, directly following the symphony).

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948