"Some Have The Impression That Tchaikovsky Composed Only 3 Symphonies..."

Started by Cato, March 03, 2009, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 03, 2009, 05:39:28 PM
Cato - will also be interested in this thread & recommendations!  :D

Really can't recall 'how many' of PT's symphony performances that I've owned over the years, but most recently purchased an absolute bargain set w/ Rostropovich - 5-CD box for just over $20 on Amazon - stimulated for this purchase by a great Fanfare Review HERE:)

I have that box too - it is excellent. I really like 'Winter Daydreams' and have recently discovered symphonies 2 and 3.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Petrenko's No. 1 is the best in many years.

[asin]B01EB2Z5N4[/asin]

Cato

On another website, a reviewer claimed that the Third Symphony is the least popular of the six, but that the Leonard Bernstein recording makes the best case for this "problematic" work.

Available only used...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000027O0/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1496457139&sr=1-1
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kishnevi

I will nominate a dark horse
[asin]B00005QKFQ[/asin]
I don't remember anything wrong with Markevitch, Karajan*, or Abbado, who hasn't been mentioned
[asin]B004H6P2ME[/asin]

*If you go for Herbie, this seems to be the only set which does not split the Fifth between two CDs.
[asin]B00004SA8B[/asin]
ETA I just remembered that the Abravanel set splits the First across two CDs.

Crudblud

The second symphony is actually my favourite of Tchaikovsky's. I think I've heard it from Bernstein and Svetlanov, but I should perhaps return to the symphonies and explore soon, I'll try the Rostropovich set posted earlier in this thread.

Autumn Leaves

I particularly like Symphony #3, "Polish" - The Andante Elegiaco movement features one of PIT's best big tunes IMO.

Cato

Quote from: Conor71 on June 02, 2017, 09:45:59 PM
I particularly like Symphony #3, "Polish" - The Andante Elegiaco movement features one of PIT's best big tunes IMO.

True!  The Third Symphony, not unlike the Sibelius Third Symphony, is unjustly ignored.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

flyingdutchman

Drasko

Quote from: Jo498 on June 02, 2017, 10:38:52 AM
Any special recommendations for 1-3 (or one of these 3)?
I have more than enough recordings of 4-6, but only Markevitch for 1-3 (+ a live Silvestri (BBC) 2nd in so-so sound). Which seems unfair... My favorite of these is #1.

Because of the abundance of 4-6 I am considering Dorati (but the sound seems dated and I guess that his approach is fairly similar to the "lean & mean" Markevitch), Karajan or Svetlanov, all of which have two-disc-sets of 1-3.

My favorite 1st is Konstantin Ivanov but don't think it was ever available on CD.
https://www.discogs.com/Tchaikovsky-USSR-State-Symphony-Orchestra-Konstantin-Ivanov-Symphony-No-1-In-G-Minor-Winter-Dreams/release/8056935

For a left-field choice Golovanov is worth hearing, not as first or only choice though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnPnArHO8oc
or

Easier to recommend would be Tilson Thomas with Boston Symphony, a fine pereformance.

As for 1-3 set I'd recommend Svetlanov, I think his rhapsodic romantic approach is good alternative to the more classicist Markevitch that you already have. I tend to prefer Svetlanov's earlier 60s set, but the 90s one is probably objectively better played and recorded. He has also a live 3rd on BBC Legends which is excellent. 

PerfectWagnerite

Two of my preferred Sym 1-3 recordings are Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus and Wit/Polish NRSO. They are both more edgy than your typical German or British orchestra and the sound is a lot leaner.

I was never a fan of Abbado's Tchaikovsky.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 03, 2017, 05:25:40 PM
Two of my preferred Sym 1-3 recordings are Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus and Wit/Polish NRSO. They are both more edgy than your typical German or British orchestra and the sound is a lot leaner.

I was never a fan of Abbado's Tchaikovsky.

Wow.  I would never recommend Masur in the repertoire.  Dull is the only word that comes to mind.  I had it and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: flyingdutchman on June 03, 2017, 05:51:04 PM
Wow.  I would never recommend Masur in the repertoire.  Dull is the only word that comes to mind.  I had it and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
I think it is different than the others and deserve a hearing as i am a big fan of the LGO.

If exciting is what you are after then go with Dorati on Mercury.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 03, 2017, 06:04:36 PM
I think it is different than the others and deserve a hearing as i am a big fan of the LGO.

If exciting is what you are after then go with Dorati on Mercury.

Yes, have that set (and too many others to count).  Love my Tchaikovsky.

arpeggio

Faulty impressions reminded me of an incident with our community band.  We play at the annual 4th of July celebration. Maybe ten, fifteen years ago the 4th of July committee was complaining that the music we were playing was too pop oriented and they wanted more patriotic music like STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER and the 1812 OVERTURE (?) Many of the committee did not know the background of 1812. They had no idea that it was composed by a gay Russian in 1880 to commemorate the Russian defeat of Napoleon when he invaded Russia. According to a friend who attended the meeting, they back down when our director made the point that if we recognized their criteria, we would have to eliminate 1812 from the program.

This incident was a bitter experience with our director.  We used to play the entire 1812.  Since then we have found other patriot type works like Jerry Bilik's American Civil War Fantasy and just the finale of 1812 to proceed the fireworks.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: flyingdutchman on June 04, 2017, 09:53:56 AM
Yes, have that set (and too many others to count).  Love my Tchaikovsky.
What do you think of Marriner?

Brian

Quote from: arpeggio on June 04, 2017, 12:06:34 PM
Faulty impressions reminded me of an incident with our community band.  We play at the annual 4th of July celebration. Maybe ten, fifteen years ago the 4th of July committee was complaining that the music we were playing was too pop oriented and they wanted more patriotic music like STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER and the 1812 OVERTURE (?) Many of the committee did not know the background of 1812. They had no idea that it was composed by a gay Russian in 1880 to commemorate the Russian defeat of Napoleon when he invaded Russia. According to a friend who attended the meeting, they back down when our director made the point that if we recognized their criteria, we would have to eliminate 1812 from the program.

This incident was a bitter experience with our director.  We used to play the entire 1812.  Since then we have found other patriot type works like Jerry Bilik's American Civil War Fantasy and just the finale of 1812 to proceed the fireworks.
I'm afraid I can top this...I once heard the 1812 Overture loudly blasting in the streets of Paris...on Bastille Day...

Uhor

Todd

For those with Amazon Prime, Antoni Wit's complete cycle of symphonies and piano concertos is available for streaming.  I've added it to my queue, but I doubt I can listen to it this year.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Crudblud on June 02, 2017, 09:30:05 PM
The second symphony is actually my favourite of Tchaikovsky's. I think I've heard it from Bernstein and Svetlanov, but I should perhaps return to the symphonies and explore soon, I'll try the Rostropovich set posted earlier in this thread.

The 2nd is wonderful, one of my favourites along with no. 1. Somehow I think that the first three symphonies not having the hype and the overly romanticised programmatic interpretations of something like his 6th symphony make them a more interesting window into his musical creativity, particularly his earlier efforts with re-working sonata form.