Saint-Saens Symphonies ans Piano Concertos

Started by JRJoseph, March 26, 2017, 07:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRJoseph

:Many of us write about underrated composers.  I believe Saint-Saens is such a guy.  Everybody knows the Organ symphony No, 3 but he actually wrote five symphonies, two without numbers, the first at age 15.  They are not great but make for pleasant listening.  His piano concerto No. 2 seems to be the favorite (Arthur Rubinstein played it many times) but all of them are quite attractive and quite listenable.  I realize Saint-Saens is only known for Carnival of the Animals and possibly Dance Macabre but I think he deserves better than this.

Scion7

Quote from: JRJoseph on March 26, 2017, 07:00:09 AM
:Many of us write about underrated composers.  I believe Saint-Saens is such a guy. 

Go to the Composer Discussion page, and in the top right corner, do a search on a composer's name, and you "should" get any thread with the name as a topic within the Composer group/forum.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."