What does your collection look like and how do you organize it?

Started by Mark, May 27, 2007, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

Hmmm...I'd never considered filing cd's by label. It looks nice and neat, but don't you then need to look in several places for a title? What about labels where you only have a few titles? Do they get their own designated space too?  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

techniquest

QuoteAmazing, techniquest. I have about 300+ Naxos CDs ... yet not one of the titles you own.
Just snapped up that Sanderling/Sibelius set from an Amazon seller for a little over £10 delivered. Thanks again.

Aha - maybe our musical tastes are just far enough apart that you have none of the discs in that pile  :P Regarding the Sibelius - happy to help. I hope you enjoy it, it is a real bargain (I paid £6.99 a couple of years back in an HMV sale).

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 28, 2007, 02:03:10 PM
Hmmm...I'd never considered filing cd's by label. It looks nice and neat, but don't you then need to look in several places for a title? What about labels where you only have a few titles? Do they get their own designated space too?  :)

Well, I have about ten performances of Saint-Saens' Third Symphony, and 13 versions of Rachmaninov's All-night Vigil. These are 'scattered' about the shelving as they're organised by label. Yet, if I need to hear a particular recording, I somehow seem to have memorised roughly where any given version is on the racks. I have the sort of brain that can do this, apparently (a bit like my ability to hold an entire calendar of things to do in my head - I never need a diary).

Any yes, every label gets its own space, even if only for a single CD. ;D

Mark

Quote from: techniquest on May 28, 2007, 02:07:10 PM
Aha - maybe our musical tastes are just far enough apart that you have none of the discs in that pile  :P Regarding the Sibelius - happy to help. I hope you enjoy it, it is a real bargain (I paid £6.99 a couple of years back in an HMV sale).

There are actually some Naxos discs in your collection that I'm after. I'll probably download them from eMusic.

If that Sanderling set is what I'm hoping it'll be, I'll probably decide not to get Blomstedt's. However much I love each conductor's work, I usually go for Sanderling in the first instance. :)

Mark

Let me know if you ever want rid of those BBC Music Magazine cover discs - I'm back-collecting them. ;)

BachQ

I've won over nine international awards for my creative CD organizational skills .......

Mark

Quote from: D Minor on May 28, 2007, 02:42:35 PM
I've won over nine international awards for my creative CD organizational skills .......

Genius. ;D

JoshLilly

For some reason, I thought my collection of 2000+ CDs would not be considered very large by the standards of some people here, and that it might even be considered small. Now I'm getting the impression that it might be abnormally large.

Last time I did a full count I broke 1000, but I've more than doubled it since then. More than. You can tell by eyeball alone. I wonder what that means........... someone free me from this obsession!!! I need the money!!

Mark

There's a guy on another classical forum who has a ridiculously large collection. Something like 6,000+ CDs and a shedload of LPs, if I recall correctly.

JoshLilly

Solitary Wanderer

I found this on-line. Its BIG but keep that kid away from them! ;)

Solitary Wanderer

Mark

Now I have CD envy and will need to go back into therapy ...

Solitary Wanderer

Solitary Wanderer

Hmmm... I have an urge to straighten and tidy those shelves and file that pile in the right-hand corner  ;)

George

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: George on May 28, 2007, 04:08:46 PM
Admit it, you tidied up a bit.... ;D

Oh, its not my collection George, but I'd love access to it for a couple of months as I'm sure theres some very interesting stuff there :)