Author Topic: What does you collection look like and how do you organize it?  (Read 93820 times)

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
Re: What does you collection look like and how do you organize it?
« Reply #620 on: August 21, 2019, 06:45:16 AM »
Haha, I'm literally the opposite (up to a point obviously... I wouldn't want a 1920 wax cylinder as my first choice for a piece)

The quality of the interpretation is what I'm after

And of course, that's fine.  I presume you have formal music training and/or long experience with performance of the major composers and conductors.  I don't really have either, what I have is a playback system adequate to hear fined differences in sound quality.

Offline ChopinBroccoli

« Reply #621 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
And of course, that's fine.  I presume you have formal music training and/or long experience with performance of the major composers and conductors.  I don't really have either, what I have is a playback system adequate to hear fined differences in sound quality.

I'm a lifelong musician (though hardly at all in the "classical" vein) but I don't think it's necessary to be one to prefer one performance to another... Almost every professional recording of the piano version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" is vastly superior to the live recording of Sviatoslav Richter playing it in Bulgaria in 1958 in front of an audience that sounds like it is made up of Tuberculosis sufferers, but none of them can hold a candle to the performance itself which is a thing of utter and complete magic
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #622 on: August 21, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
... Almost every professional recording of the piano version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" is vastly superior to the live recording of Sviatoslav Richter playing it in Bulgaria in 1958 in front of an audience that sounds like it is made up of Tuberculosis sufferers, but none of them can hold a candle to the performance itself which is a thing of utter and complete magic

In my experience this is very true indeed.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Traverso

« Reply #623 on: August 22, 2019, 08:34:44 AM »
In my experience this is very true indeed.

Yes indeed,the sound of those tuberculosis sufferers is really awful. ;)

Offline ChopinBroccoli

« Reply #624 on: August 22, 2019, 09:05:28 AM »
Yes indeed,the sound of those tuberculosis sufferers is really awful. ;)

All of them were cured by Richter's playing... true story!
- Handel

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
« Reply #625 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »
I'm a lifelong musician (though hardly at all in the "classical" vein) but I don't think it's necessary to be one to prefer one performance to another... Almost every professional recording of the piano version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" is vastly superior to the live recording of Sviatoslav Richter playing it in Bulgaria in 1958 in front of an audience that sounds like it is made up of Tuberculosis sufferers, but none of them can hold a candle to the performance itself which is a thing of utter and complete magic

But you make my point in that you are familiar with many versions of Mussorgsky's work.  Unfortunately I'm not, (I say ashamedly).  I've never heard it in live performance.  I have only the piano version by Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence, and the Ravel-orchestrated version by Antal Dorati on the same CD -- the sound is pretty good by the way.

Offline ChopinBroccoli

« Reply #626 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
But you make my point in that you are familiar with many versions of Mussorgsky's work.  Unfortunately I'm not, (I say ashamedly).  I've never heard it in live performance.  I have only the piano version by Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence, and the Ravel-orchestrated version by Antal Dorati on the same CD -- the sound is pretty good by the way.

You have nothing to be ashamed of... nobody has heard everything

For me, the first order of business is if I like a piece of music (regardless of the performer) enough to want to hear it played by numerous people... from there, you can get into which are the best ones

But nobody knows everything about anything... I happen to really like "Pictures", for example so I've gotten very immersed in it and familiar but on the other hand, I couldn't tell you a solitary thing about Mussorgsky's Boris Gudonov (because I don't care for Opera)
- Handel

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #627 on: August 23, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
I almost stopped getting more recordings of music I already have many recordings of. I got into that as probably many others with getting interested in a spectrum of interpretations and also in certain artists. Sure, there is some music where some interpretations differ wildly. But often the differences seem either slight or hardly matter to me. 

A few weeks ago I listened to a handful of recordings of Bach's ouverture suites. The one that obviously stuck out was Malloch's with one instrument per part and some very fast tempi. But between Musica antiqua and academy für alte musik the differences were very slight, I could hardly form a clear preference. And even the again clearly different (because modern instruments and larger orchestra) Leppard was quite enjoyable and good enough that I would not be terribly upset if I could only keep that one (although especially in the b minor I clearly prefer opp and historical instruments).

Now I have been listening to about 7 or 8 recordings of Bach's English suites. Again, the only one I have culled was mostly for reasons of sound (too loud and agressive harpsichord). I hear differences, but have a hard time to form clear preferences. 3 recordings would be probably enough, or say 2 each piano and harpsichord. And because one usually gets no money for CDs if one tries to sell, I might as well keep most of what I have. But I need VERY good reasons nowadays to get the 5th (much less the 10th) recording of some music.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #628 on: September 01, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
Now I have been listening to about 7 or 8 recordings of Bach's English suites. Again, the only one I have culled was mostly for reasons of sound (too loud and agressive harpsichord).

Rousset? Rannou?
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #629 on: September 01, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »
No, Elina Mustonen. (I had put it in my "sell/trade" box already several years ago but was not able to get rid of it so I tried again to no avail. It was impossible with headphones and still ugly over the speakers.

It might be also a problem of level and equipment (but then I am listening to the other discs on the same setups). I am still on the brink wrt Rousset. And I was actually considering getting Rannou despite my
remarks above (no additional recordings) because it is available for 10 EUR and people claimed it was by far and way the best ever! I made a break with the English suites (listened to the partitas on piano and CPE symphonies instead).

The harpsichord "candidates" were Jaccottet, Mustonen, Rousset, Egarr. I also have Walcha and Curtis but they are in boxes and obviously not up for culling. Walcha is too unique anyway and Curtis is very good, I probably would not need any other.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)