What does your collection look like and how do you organize it?

Started by Mark, May 27, 2007, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Thought we were probably about due a thread where we can showcase our classical CD collections on this new forum. Here's a snapshot of mine: 800 or so on display, with another 200 or thereabouts in one of those slipcase type affairs. Oh, and I've got about 150 CDs worth of downloads on the PC which I've not yet burned to discs.

So come on, don't be shy. Show us yours. ;)

George

Quote from: Mark on May 27, 2007, 03:08:47 PM
Thought we were probably about due a thread where we can showcase our classical CD collections on this new forum. A snapshot of mine is attached - everything except another 200 or so which are kept in one of those slipcase type affairs. Oh, and I've got about 150 CDs worth of downloads on the PC, too, which I've not got round to burning to disc.

So come on, don't be shy. Show us yours. ;)

I need to take a photo of mine. My girlfriend needs to assist, as I am not very good with those things.

Digital Camaras, I mean.  ;D

greg

nice collection! Mine (kinda) fits on one shelf, though it'd be cool to get a big CD folder, or 3

Mark

Quote from: greg on May 27, 2007, 03:15:05 PM
nice collection!

Thanks.

It's taken 16 years to build, but it's really come on a storm in the last five. :)

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

AnthonyAthletic

Impressive, I do trust the door on your right opens outwards and not inwards  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mark

Chris, oh for an alcove like yours! ;D

Nice collection. That all classical?

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 27, 2007, 03:44:05 PM
Impressive, I do trust the door on your right opens outwards and not inwards  ;D

Heh, actually it opens inwards but I only have to look out for my wife and the cat  :)

Quote from: Mark on May 27, 2007, 03:44:55 PM
Chris, oh for an alcove like yours! ;D

Nice collection. That all classical?

Yes, the alcove is perfect. I used to keep my collection downstairs in the living room but space became an issue. When our daughter left home a few years ago we converted her bedroom into the 'second office', which is directly opposite from my studio, and I put up the shelving and moved my collection upstairs where its much better.

The classical titles only comprise three shelves, but I'm working on it ;)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

aquablob

Quote from: George on May 27, 2007, 03:14:48 PM
I need to take a photo of mine. My girlfriend needs to assist, as I am not very good with those things.

Nice Mitch quote, by the way! If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be ****ed up!

George

Bogey

Quote from: George on May 27, 2007, 03:14:48 PM

Classic!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mark

Nice.

Who's playing on the Sibelius Symphonies I've circled?

Scriptavolant

Two shelves got lost in the first shot (some jazz and/or non-classical)

edited

Scriptavolant

The second one is about my modest naxos collection.

No comparisons with the professionist of collection out there, but I'm still a neophyte.  :)

Mark

Now this thread has got going, maybe it's time to introduce the subject of cataloguing.

You'll see that my collection is organised by label, then by composer (or artist - or just title - if no composer is listed on the CD spine). I've tried other methods, but this one really works for me. Whenever someone says, 'Do you have ... ?', I can immediately lay hands on the requested disc, if I own it. It's sad, but that's how well I know my collection.

I wish Sarge would post his collection here as he did in a similar thread on the old forum. Not only is his collection voluminously impressive, but his cataloguing method is inspired: he's simply attributed a number to every CD he owns in the order that he bought them. What foresight! Wish I'd done that. Then, I could just have everything listed alphabetically on the PC in an Excel spreadsheet, and use that to quickly find what I was looking for. Genius. :)

techniquest

QuoteWho's playing on the Sibelius Symphonies I've circled?

That's the Brilliant Classics set with the Berliner Sinfonie-Orchester under Kurt Sanderling.

Mark

Quote from: techniquest on May 28, 2007, 01:52:41 PM
That's the Brilliant Classics set with the Berliner Sinfonie-Orchester under Kurt Sanderling.

And it's going straight on my Amazon Wish List. Thanks for that. I love Sanderling's work. :)

Solitary Wanderer

Well, I divide up the different genres ie: classical, pre-rock crooners, prog etc...

For classical it A-Z by composer. When theres more than one composer on a disc I file it by the featured artist or the artist I've bought the disc for. Very simple and it works  :)

Mark

Amazing, techniquest. I have about 300+ Naxos CDs ... yet not one of the titles you own. ;D

Just snapped up that Sanderling/Sibelius set from an Amazon seller for a little over £10 delivered. Thanks again. ;)