What does your collection look like and how do you organize it?

Started by Mark, May 27, 2007, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriptavolant

Quote from: D Minor on May 28, 2007, 02:42:35 PM
I've won over nine international awards for my creative CD organizational skills .......

;D

toledobass

Quote from: Mark on May 28, 2007, 02:15:50 PM
There are actually some Naxos discs in your collection that I'm after. I'll probably download them from eMusic.

If that Sanderling set is what I'm hoping it'll be, I'll probably decide not to get Blomstedt's. However much I love each conductor's work, I usually go for Sanderling in the first instance. :)

You should get the Blomstedt too. ;D $:)

Allan

Brian

techniquest, how do you like the Foerster "Easter Eve" CD?  :D

Bogey

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 27, 2007, 03:40:12 PM
Here's mine...running out of room again.

http://www.chrisbligh.co.nz/project.php?display_full_image=1&image_id=0

Is it just me or is Chris a dead ringer for ESPN's Dan Patrick?:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

techniquest

Quotetechniquest, how do you like the Foerster "Easter Eve" CD?

I think it's a fascinating piece (The Easter Eve symphony). I was attracted by the sleeve notes that suggested influences by Mahler and Bruckner. Listening to the music though, there are so many possible influences - parts of the Festive Overture sound like Elgar, but overall the music has an individual style - deeply romantic, tonal, rather grand. The symphonic poem 'Meine Jugend' is a very positive, expressive piece which suggests Foerster had a very good, happy, 'sunshine-breakfast' time as a youngster. But the core is the big symphony with it's brooding dawn-like opening and somewhat questioning, searching main body of the first movement; the appropriate central movements and the big, Mahlerian  finale (though MUCH more positive than most Mahler) complete with organ and jangling triangle!

aquablob

Quote from: Mark on May 28, 2007, 02:11:10 PM
Well, I have about ten performances of Saint-Saens' Third Symphony, and 13 versions of Rachmaninov's All-night Vigil. These are 'scattered' about the shelving as they're organised by label. Yet, if I need to hear a particular recording, I somehow seem to have memorised roughly where any given version is on the racks. I have the sort of brain that can do this, apparently (a bit like my ability to hold an entire calendar of things to do in my head - I never need a diary).

Any yes, every label gets its own space, even if only for a single CD. ;D

This is at least the second time I've seen you mention your passion for Saint-Saens' "Organ" Symphony; I recently took part in two performances of this awesome work (there is a part for piano, four hands -- two of the hands were mine). Excellent music! One of our two performances was in a church with a HUGE organ, and it was one of the coolest musical endeavors I've ever been a part of!

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on May 28, 2007, 11:08:33 PM
This is at least the second time I've seen you mention your passion for Saint-Saens' "Organ" Symphony; I recently took part in two performances of this awesome work (there is a part for piano, four hands -- two of the hands were mine). Excellent music! One of our two performances was in a church with a HUGE organ, and it was one of the coolest musical endeavors I've ever been a part of!

Very cool indeed, congrats!  :)

Hector

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 28, 2007, 03:27:18 PM

This one looks more Rock than Classical but still...

I feel that if I remove just one strategically placed CD the whole lot would collapse like a pack of cards. ;D

Hector

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on May 28, 2007, 01:47:38 PM
I wish Sarge would post his collection here as he did in a similar thread on the old forum. Not only is his collection voluminously impressive, but his cataloguing method is inspired: he's simply attributed a number to every CD he owns in the order that he bought them. What foresight! Wish I'd done that. Then, I could just have everything listed alphabetically on the PC in an Excel spreadsheet, and use that to quickly find what I was looking for. Genius. :)

Yes, my IQ is remarkably high and I've dedicated my massive intellect to the problem of CD storage and cataloging. I'm the Einstein, Newton, Darwin of my field. ;D  Each CD gets a number assigned the day I buy it. The single CDs are stored chronologically:

I have the list on my computer and I print out a copy every six months or so.

I wasn't going to post my collection again, Mark, but since you requested it. The collection is spread out over four rooms but the bulk is contained within a room dedicated to record storage.

The opposite side of the room with the LPs:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mark

Guido

think I will count/order my CDs during the summer and will post online. Almost all cello music, but recently have been branching out more - complete works of Ives, Barber, Finzi (not that many CDs there really) and more of the standard repertoire that I havent yet explored...

265 cello concertos and counting...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on May 29, 2007, 05:27:40 AM
Sarge, thanks. ;)

Any idea on totals? CDs? LPs?

3014 classical CDs (that includes film soundtracks  :D ), 1927 rock/pop/soul/country/blues/jazz etc CDs. Around 5000 LPs.  600 cassettes. I haven't counted my singles: roughly 500, I'd guess.

Sarge

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2007, 05:22:34 AM
Yes, my IQ is remarkably high and I've dedicated my massive intellect to the problem of CD storage and cataloging. I'm the Einstein, Newton, Darwin of my field. ;D  Each CD gets a number assigned the day I buy it. The single CDs are stored chronologically:

I have the list on my computer and I print out a copy every six months or so.

I wasn't going to post my collection again, Mark, but since you requested it. The collection is spread out over four rooms but the bulk is contained within a room dedicated to record storage.

[Snip]

[Snip]

Sarge

Wow!  I thought I was the only person left in the world with Serge Gainsbourg albums. :o

karlhenning

All I can say is, Zowie!

How do you find Henning amid all that, Sarge;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bunny on May 29, 2007, 05:54:48 AM
Wow!  I thought I was the only person left in the world with Serge Gainsbourg albums. :o

Yes, I love his music...part of my youth I just won't let go  :)

Sarge

Mark

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2007, 05:54:00 AM
3014 classical CDs (that includes film soundtracks  :D ), 1927 rock/pop/soul/country/blues/jazz etc CDs. Around 5000 LPs.  600 cassettes. I haven't counted my singles (45s, 33s): roughly 500, I'd guess.

Sarge

Aaah! 3000 classical CDs. In my head, that's my target figure. Dunno why. I tell myself that when I've collected that many, I'll stop.

Then just carry on downloading classical music, instead. ;D

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2007, 05:57:17 AM
Yes, I love his music...part of my youth I just won't let go  :)

Sarge

I guess we are dating ourselves. ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on May 29, 2007, 05:56:34 AM
All I can say is, Zowie!

How do you find Henning amid all that, Sarge;D

Henning's music has its own dedicated area, Karl, right on my computer desk.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on May 29, 2007, 05:58:10 AM
Aaah! 3000 classical CDs. In my head, that's my target figure. Dunno why. I tell myself that when I've collected that many, I'll stop.

That's what I told myself a thousand CDs ago but demon JPC  >:D keeps sending me a glossy magazine every month and I haven't been able to resist temptation.

Sarge