The Formula One Thread

Started by mahler10th, March 10, 2009, 06:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Hamilton is completely mad. Of course the idiot and arrogant c**T thinks he is always right and the world is against him. If he kills someone as he will if he keeps this up, he will still blame others and think it is racism against him.

I am glad Botton won and more glad that Hamilton got himself out!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

mahler10th

Towards the end of the race, Schumi got himself into second.  At that point I almost prayed he would win - I would like nothing better than to see him win again, in an underpowered car (just like he had when he knocked Damon Hill out the way in 1994 to win the Championship).  However, my admiration for the man has only glowed since he returned to formula one.
Meanwhile, Hamilton has the same driven fury in the cockpit at legendary levels, and this has led him to make mistakes and take liberties.  Nothing wrong with that.  Senna, Schumaker, Prost, Villneuve (Gilles), and other greats share the same drive passion, so Hamilton is in good company.  It would be nice to see him and Kobayashi in an equal car duel... ;D
Button?  Lucky!   :o

Opus106

Quote from: John of Glasgow on June 13, 2011, 06:42:41 AM
Button?  Lucky!   :o

Well, on the last lap, almost certainly -- I'd have loved to see him use the DRS on the final straight, but he fought a hard battle to bring himself into a position where he could overtake Vettel. It was, I think, Whitmarsh who said over the radio that he (Button) had been in almost every position possible during the race. He wins the race after 6 pit stops and a drive-through and you call that lucky?!
Regards,
Navneeth

mahler10th

QuoteOPUS 106:  Whitmarsh...said over the radio that he (Button) had been in almost every position possible during the race. He wins the race after 6 pit stops and a drive-through and you call that lucky?!

No.  Er...perhaps pure brilliance?   :-[

Opus106

Quote from: John of Glasgow on June 13, 2011, 07:58:42 AM
No.  Er...perhaps pure brilliance?   :-[

No, just damn good racing. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

mahler10th

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 08:02:15 AM

I stand WELL corrected Navneeth, thanks!   :)  And sorry Jenson, I just thought....I mean....it was...I think you...ach....sorry Jenson!   :'(

Marc

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 08:02:15 AM

Indeed. And because of him pushing and going so fast, Vettel lost his nerves.

BTW: the Le Mans 24 Hours was something special this year, too, in different ways.

At the finish, after 24 hours of racing there were only about 15 secs between the winner and the runner-up .... and there were 2 horrendous crashes (Alan McNish and Michael Rockenfeller). No one got killed, which was an absolute miracle.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JW3NDGk6YQE

http://www.youtube.com/v/YAu3pMgmvpU

Lethevich

I had to watch highlights of it because I had a higher priority live event to watch while the race was going - it looked very fun. I liked the stat that Button won after having pitted for tyres five times and a drive-through penalty once. I don't know where that pace came from.

As a follower, I am becoming slightly bored by Hamilton making so many mistakes (he looked to have gotten past that) but I don't see how he can be criticised so harshly. Most racing drivers come across as egotistical in their assurance that they are always right, though some hide it better than others. I wish Button would stop with the mediocre performances, though. Sometimes he is on, sometimes he is off, and the latter has been so common that I am worried he is going the way of Kovalainen.

I was very concerned by the end that it might be another case of Vettel being caught but being too good at defending to be overtaken, so it was nice to see a different result for once.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 13, 2011, 10:02:34 AM
I don't know where that pace came from.

I think it was also important yesterday that he didn't take excursions off the racing line.

QuoteI wish Button would stop with the mediocre performances, though. Sometimes he is on, sometimes he is off, and the latter has been so common that I am worried he is going the way of Kovalainen.

That's unlikely when he has a championship under his belt. Even if McLaren were to drop him, I'm sure he'll go to a top team. I suppose Ferrari won't mind his replacing Massa.  0:)

I was very concerned by the end that it might be another case of Vettel being caught but being too good at defending to be overtaken, so it was nice to see a different result for once.

Second time, actually. First was China and Hamilton. :) Although not quite as dramatically in the final lap, Vettel was overtaken very late in that race too. And yes, it is nice to discover one or two chinks in his armour.
Regards,
Navneeth

Marc

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 13, 2011, 10:02:34 AM
I don't know where that pace came from.

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 10:22:19 AM
I think it was also important yesterday that he didn't take excursions off the racing line.

Yes. Apart from the all the overtaking of couse. ;)

At a certain point in the race, things couldn't get worse for him (and the team). So he had nothing to lose. After that, it was just a matter of taking some risks with overtaking and gaining confidence. Which he did.

mahler10th

Last week in Valencia, things went back in time.  It was a procession again, hardly anything excting went on at all.  Round and round they went until someone won.  No prizes for guessing it was the 'new schumaker'.  Until this race, the season was fabulously exciting.  Well, next weekend we're off to Silverstone, where recent developments to the final third and even more recent developments to the control buildings should ensure something at least a wee bit better.  Those wings will be flapping open like hell on that last charge to the final corner.  Meanwhile, Hamilton still races like crazy, and Australian rookie Daniel Ricciardo (who I have high hopes for) takes a racing seat with Hispania, though it looks like he's there just for more driving experience, can't possibly expect him to win!  Also, Di Resta is doing a fine job with Force India, what a good choice of driver, a level headed young Italian named Scotsman whose professionalism is second to none.
So, ok, it took a dip last week, one shit race in a long season is forgivable!

Lethevich

I must admit, I'm not watching ase closely as I did in the past two years - things are getting boring again :(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

sospiro

Valencia is a great place but a truly awful circuit. I went the first year they had it there & it was even boring being there. My little hero (Massa) won & I was still bored.

The organisation was dreadful. Tickets were chipped & you registered in and out of your grandstand to stop you going into any other. Trouble was only those people with tickets for grandstands opposite the pits could get to the merchandise. They'd sorted it by Saturday but the stall holders were furious, having lost a huge chunk of sales by then (many are British).

They c***ed up the seat numbering. After numbering the seats, someone realised there should be more gangways & removed a section of seating but didn't re-number the remaining seats. By then the tickets were sold so lots of people in our grandstand had tickets for seats which didn't exist.

I get angry when I think of the circuits we've lost like Portugal & Imola. Even Magny-Cours was better than Valencia.

Looking forward to Silverstone & an outside chance of a Ferrari win.
Annie

springrite

Vettel and Red Bull will lose sponsorship next season if this keeps up because they almost never get on camera during the race. Sponsors for teams fighting for 8th to 12th are sure getting their money's worth!

I miss crashes. Hamilton should do something brainless every weeks in order to keep things interesting. It takes teammates crashing into each other to keep viewers glued to the TV set.

mahler10th

I watched qually for the British GP earlier.  Two noteworthy stories:
Paul Di Resta in at sixth on the grid in the Force India.  He is a new Jim Clark in the making.
Kobayashi.  In the top ten again.  He hasn't been out of it.  Proving to be the best Japanes F1 driver EVER.
Race is tomorrow.
Lets hope the diffuser arguments spill out over the track!

sospiro

Forza Ferrari !!!!!

Congrats Fernando!!!!!
Annie

mahler10th

Quote from: sospiro on July 10, 2011, 05:41:41 AM

Forza Ferrari !!!!!
Congrats Fernando!!!!!

It was a good race all round.  Wierd weather, racing 'incidents' and some great overtaking.  I know the old circuit inside out through playing F1 fames (!), but the new changes have completly revolutionised the circuit, and half the time I didn't know if we were at Stowe or Maggots...   Great stuff, well done Alonso, about time you were up there again.

sospiro

Hungarian Grand Prix:

Congratulations to Jense! Mixed conditions always help but his driving was superb. 

Annie

sospiro

Congratulations to Sebastian Vettel & youngest ever back-to-back WDC. Doesn't look much older now than he did on here.

Annie

springrite

In case anyone missed it, Kimi is coming back next season!

Wait till I explain to my Kimi why I named her after a male race-car driver...