The Formula One Thread

Started by John Copeland, March 10, 2009, 06:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

It was pretty good to see most of the top 10 qualifiers were the young guns and possible future champions, but 90 minutes later, there stood three former champions, two back from retirement, on the podium. :-\ An eventful race for a street circuit, but I felt bad especially for Grosjean.
Regards,
Navneeth

springrite

Didn't get to watch it. Just found out about the result upon my return home and I am glad Kimi finished second. Alonso's win is nice, too. I don't feel bad for Hamilton even though he was, well, undone rather harshly. But he does get it upon himself a lot, doesn't he?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on June 24, 2012, 09:16:38 AMI don't feel bad for Hamilton even though he was, well, undone rather harshly. But he does get it upon himself a lot, doesn't he?

It's as if the Universe wants someone to crash into Hamilton, even when he's behaving at his best. It's like Massa spinning on the track when no-one is around. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

springrite

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 09:39:59 AM
It's as if the Universe wants someone to crash into Hamilton, even when he's behaving at his best. It's like Massa spinning on the track when no-one is around. ;D

Yeah, but it was headless for him to try to fend off Maldonado so agressively with his worn out tires. He wasn't going to make it even without the crash. Had he not done so, he's lose the podium but finish in the points, likely 6th or so. But that wouldn't be Hamilton. People love him for that, too. I certainly wouldn't want a boring safe Hamilton!

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on June 24, 2012, 09:48:17 AM
Yeah, but it was headless for him to try to fend off Maldonado so agressively with his worn out tires. He wasn't going to make it even without the crash. Had he not done so, he's lose the podium but finish in the points, likely 6th or so. But that wouldn't be Hamilton. People love him for that, too. I certainly wouldn't want a boring safe Hamilton!

As I see it, it was the doing of both drivers. As you say, he didn't offer enough room. But Maldonado was too impatient; it was obvious he had the speed and the grip. Had he just waited for one more lap, he would have been on the podium.

Addendum: And as I catch up on the post-race news, it appears that Pastor has been penalised, with 20 seconds added to his race time.
Regards,
Navneeth

Papy Oli

Tough one on Grosjean today indeed...he could have crept up nicely up the table had he finished second...still, plenty of promise for the future for him.
Olivier

springrite

The best part of the German Grand Prix is Hamilton going out, DNF. His lack of class knows no bound. As a lapped car, he decided to pass Vettel, who was second, and do so dangerously as well. What a ****ing jerk!

John Copeland

Quote from: springrite on July 22, 2012, 08:14:32 AM
The best part of the German Grand Prix is Hamilton going out, DNF. His lack of class knows no bound. As a lapped car, he decided to pass Vettel, who was second, and do so dangerously as well. What a ****ing jerk!

Seems like his lack of class has roasted the Hungaroring.   >:D

What happened there was pretty intense racing all round.  I am really glad to see the two Lotus cars up there, even though without Colin Chapman, no team can really be the Lotus.

Lisztianwagner

I wonder when Michael Schumacher will finally win a race, since he decided to come back to the F.1 world he hasn't picked up very good results. When he raced for Ferrari he was my hero (I started following F.1 in 1997). He has certainly been one of the best drivers of all time, (if not the very best one) but it's rather sad to see him fighting at most for the 4th/5th position. I think he didn't have to start racing again once he retired.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

John Copeland

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 29, 2012, 02:07:44 PM
I wonder when Michael Schumacher will finally win a race, since he decided to come back to the F.1 world he hasn't picked up very good results. When he raced for Ferrari he was my hero (I started following F.1 in 1997). He has certainly been one of the best drivers of all time, (if not the very best one) but it's rather sad to see him fighting at most for the 4th/5th position. I think he didn't have to start racing again once he retired.....

It may be percieved as him going out with a whimper or putting a cloud over all his past success.  On the contrary,  I think he is doing a dignified thing in his final years of on track action.  Even at 43 years old he is committed to racing, and has helped in the return and rebuilding of the Mercedes works team to where it is today...I too respect Schumacher tremendously, and think Mercedes always have a bright future with his input.  Whilst he may no longer command the track as he once did, he is still regarded as the Daddy by the entire paddock even if no longer the best.  He is showing he didn't get into F1 for the money.  He could have retired a long time back...maybe as soon as he had three World Championships in the 2000 season (at which time he had been in an F1 seat for 8 years).  But no, he's a racer and he keeps on racing...er...except yesterday, in Hungary, where he had to retire the car early...  :-[
He is one of F1's Legends in my top 5.  I would take issue with him being 'the very best one' though.   :-\

Opus106

Poor Massa. After ages he qualifies in the top three and the first thing he is asked in the post-qualifying press conference is "Where is Alonso?".
Regards,
Navneeth

John Copeland

Quote from: Opus106 on September 08, 2012, 01:32:53 PM
Poor Massa. After ages he qualifies in the top three and the first thing he is asked in the post-qualifying press conference is "Where is Alonso?".

Lol.  Massa will probably 'find' Alonso when he gets passed by him on the first lap.

Opus106

Quote from: Scots John on September 08, 2012, 01:56:30 PM
Lol.  Massa will probably 'find' Alonso when he gets passed by him on the first lap.

That's a tough ask from Fernando; I say give it a few more laps. My bet is that Massa will overtake at least Button at the start, to give the Tifosi something to cheer about for 30 seconds, before being bumped down again in the back straight. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

John Copeland

Hamilton (1)
Perez!!   (2) Man of the Race!   :D
Alonso (3)

(Later edited a typo in 'Alonso'.  So fussy....)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Scots John on September 09, 2012, 05:27:17 AM
Hamilton (1)
Perez!!   (2) Man of the Race!   :D
Alonsi (3)

I enjoyed watching the race, excellent third position for Alonso who takes the lead more and more in the drivers championship; congratulations to Hamilton for winning, but especially to Perez for his wonderful race.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

John Copeland

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 09, 2012, 06:00:09 AM
I enjoyed watching the race, excellent third position for Alonso who takes the lead more and more in the drivers championship; congratulation to Hamilton for winning, but especially to Perez for his wonderful race.

Sei parte di Tifosi?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Scots John on September 09, 2012, 09:11:31 AM
Sei parte di Tifosi?

I support Alonso/Ferrari, of course; I'm a great fan of F.1 :)

John Copeland

For the past four years I have thought Alonso to be the best driver in this era of F1 by a million miles...er...or maybe just three car lengths...I taught Italian teens at Summer school once, and we all, me included, decided to ditch the lesson in favour of watching the German GP on TV in the class instead!  I should have been sacked, lol.    It was then I learned about the Tifosi passion!  The Ferraris were 9th and 6th that day, and the kids almost locked me in a cupboard for supporting Coulthard who came second.
Io sono un fan di F1 troppo grande!   :P

Lisztianwagner

Haha, what a nice story! ;D Well, if they like F.1, all Italian people are extreme fans of Ferrari; it's rather hard to find someone who supports McLaren or Red Bull.....

John Copeland

That demon driver Maldonado sneaks into second place on the grid.  Maybe it's because he's so fast that he keeps crashing into everybody.   :P