Schoenberg Problem

Started by mahler10th, March 11, 2009, 04:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on November 19, 2012, 05:47:59 AM
I have not mentioned this in some time, but there is a supremely stupid book by a certain E. Michael Jones called Dionysos Rising: The Birth of Cultural Revolution Out of the Spirit of Music , where the adultery of Schoenberg's wife is blamed on...the rise of chromatic harmony and its descendant, "atonalism" !

And a reader at Amazon reviews the book thus (review in its entirety):

QuoteJones traces the work and lives of Wagner, Nietzche, Schonberg, and rockers such as Jagger to demonstrate the fall of culture and the rise of rock 'n roll. From the barricades in Dresden in 1849 to Woodstock and the death at Altamont in 1969, Jones shows that classical music and culture did not die a natural death: the demise was plotted by sexual revolutionaries as a direct attack on Christian morality. The Stones said it all: Sympathy for the Devil.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2012, 08:05:51 AM
And a reader at Amazon reviews the book thus (review in its entirety):

Just as I thought: klemzer is the culprit, that dirty jazz...

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on November 19, 2012, 07:46:44 AM
I'm sorry, but that sounds just about right. Sheesh,... why WOULDN'T she? I can't imagine 'sexy Ahnold' being anything but a human pill in a marriage. Good for her!! ::) I would love to know the marriage-lives-of-the-serialist-composers. Are you saying Boulez is gay? :o

;D

No, I am not saying that, but following the theory of Mr. Jones, one might say that since Tchaikovsky was homosexual, one is in danger of becoming a homosexual by listening to Tchaikovsky's music.

In the end, this is the old ancient Greek theory (mainly from Plato) that the power of music (and Art in general) is not to be trusted, and that a certain amount of censorship is needed to protect the future citizens of the Republic.  Certain modes must be proscribed, especially for younger people, since they lead to debauchery, drunkenness, etc.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

I always love reading through this thread because it makes me realize how much easier it is to come back to Schoenberg after a long hiatus. The expressiveness of his music is in a completely different realm altogether. Going from Elgar to Schoenberg may, by some standards, seem like quite the jump, but, for me, it really isn't and the reason why I would say comes from the fact that both Elgar and Schoenberg have dramatic shifts of mood in their music. Now granted, it's obvious that both composers are working in two completely sound-worlds, but the expression of their music is similar.

I really hope that people can start opening up to Schoenberg's music and actually listen with their ears instead of what their mind continues to tell them, which, in most cases, is this music continues to sound unresolved and seems aimless, but there is rhyme and reason to Arnie's music and, while he might not be 'Mr. Popular' with concert audiences, his music begins to make more and more sense with each passing year. Just my two cents.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2014, 03:23:38 PM

I really hope that people can start opening up to Schoenberg's music and actually listen with their ears instead of what their mind continues to tell them, which, in most cases, is this music continues to sound unresolved and seems aimless, but there is rhyme and reason to Arnie's music and, while he might not be 'Mr. Popular' with concert audiences, his music begins to make more and more sense with each passing year. Just my two cents.

If asked to describe why I have problems with Schoenberg's music, I'd describe it in exactly the reverse of how you phrase it.  My mind (sort of) understands what he's doing,  but my ears keep telling me there is no rhyme or reason.  That's why, with the newly found exception of his string quartets,  I vastly prefer early Schoenberg (Verklarte Nacht, GurreLieder) to middle or later Schoenberg.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 07, 2014, 04:00:36 PM
If asked to describe why I have problems with Schoenberg's music, I'd describe it in exactly the reverse of how you phrase it.  My mind (sort of) understands what he's doing,  but my ears keep telling me there is no rhyme or reason.  That's why, with the newly found exception of his string quartets,  I vastly prefer early Schoenberg (Verklarte Nacht, GurreLieder) to middle or later Schoenberg.

Schoenberg's music exists in another realm for me. It's like visiting the Twilight Zone or something and you know what? I occasionally love finding myself there. 8) I appreciate the textures and overall otherworldliness of Schoenberg and not many other composers can put me into that kind of frame of mind other than good ol' Arnie. :)