New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv, Pat B, Que and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

What future releases tickle your fancy?

I'll start.  :)

Some releases coming out in April and May, plus one due out this month:

Stephen Hough plays the Mendelssohn "Serious Variations", Beethoven's op. 111, and a selection of waltzes: Weber's "Invitation to the Dance," two Chopin waltzes, Liszt's Mephisto No 1, and the "Waltzing Matilda."

Steven Osborne tackles the complete preludes.

Naxos inaugurates a series of Bax music for piano and orchestra with the Symphonic Variations, featuring pianist Ashley Wass, conductor James Judd, and the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra.

Also possibly anticipating the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra / Gustavo Dudamel recording of Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony and the Francesca da Rimini.

The new erato

A few things still marked as preorder only at mdt which will be ordered on release:

And of course some EMI Icon boxes available March 23rd, prime of which is the Hans Hotter set.

George

Great idea for a thread, Brian!

SVIATOSLAV RICHTER (1915-1997) - Early Recordings Vol. 1 - 1948-1956 Recordings

Predicted release date: March 30, 2009

Franz SCHUBERT (1797-1828);
Moments musicaux, Op. 94, D. 780 No. 1 in C major Recorded in Moscow, 1952
Impromptu, Op. 90, D. 899: No. 2 in E flat major Recorded in Moscow, 1950
Impromptu, Op. 142, D. 935: No. 2 in A flat major Recorded in Moscow in 1952

Fryderyk CHOPIN (1810-1849):

12 Etudes, Op. 25: No. 5 in E minor Recorded in Moscow in 1952

Robert SCHUMANN (1810-1856):
Fantasiestücke, Op. 12 (excerpts): No. 1. Des Abends
No. 2. Aufschwung; No. 3.Warum?
No. 5. In der Nacht; No. 8. Ende vom Lied Recorded in Moscow in 1948
Humoreske in B flat major, Op. 20 Recorded in Moscow in 1956

Producer and Audio Restoration Engineer: Ward Marston

In these recordings, the earliest of which were made after he had won joint first prize at the All- Union Piano Competition in Moscow, Richter's dazzling technique, fluency of execution and seamless legato are already to the fore. His 1948 recording of the Fantasiestücke, Op. 12, is here reissued for the first time since the original 78rpm issue.

Naxos Historical 8111352

Bulldog

I've had the Dodgson vol. 2 on my "buy" list for a few months now.  Think I'll finally get to it; vol. 1 is getting lonely.

ChamberNut

Taneyev

Volume II of Carpe Dieme Quartet's recording of the string quartets on Naxos.

I'm emailing them today!  :)

Lethevich

An exciting release, however I am put off immediately buying it by Edward's warning that the 9th (at the time, this was several years ago) was not worth listening to due to it being in a very poor performing edition (and the work being essentially unfinished anyway). I wonder whether this recording uses updated material?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bunny

Here are some recently released recordings that I'm looking forward to:

I have all of the previous Café Zimmermann recordings of Bach, so this one gets ordered by reflex.  I know it won't disappoint.  I saw the recent concert in NY of di Donato and Les Talens Lyriques performing the recording, and it was sensational.  That one is already in the mail; the samples of Villazon and the Gabrieli Consort are so good that I know that one will also soon be on my shelf.  Fischer's Mahler never disappoints, and the critics are all applauding this Jurowski/Russian Nat'l Orch. recording of Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet which comes on the heels of their great Manfred recording so I've got my shopping done for a while. :D

Here is one that I'd love to know more about:

DFO

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 13, 2009, 04:10:32 AM
Taneyev

Try to get the original Melodiya set by the old 70s.Taneyev quartet.
It's extraordinary. I know has been published on CD. I've it all of them copied from vinyls.

George

Quote from: Bunny on March 29, 2009, 08:06:16 AM

Me too!

Question No. 1 - When did Wanderer record these works?  ;D

nut-job

You can listen to excerpts on the Linn web site.  I was unimpressed by Pizarro, who strikes me as mannered.  I have to many find recordings of this piece already to be concerned with this one.

Bulldog

Quote from: DFO on March 29, 2009, 08:21:43 AM
Try to get the original Melodiya set by the old 70s.Taneyev quartet.
It's extraordinary. I know has been published on CD. I've it all of them copied from vinyls.

I agree and got my recordings from Northern Flowers.

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 13, 2009, 04:10:32 AM
Taneyev

Hear any word?

Here are a couple new Naxos albums I'm really looking forward to:

Also coming out: a live recording of the world premiere performance of Martinu's Three Fragments from the Opera Juliette, a premiere entrusted - lucky for us! - to Sir Charles Mackerras and the Czech Philharmonic:

And although the performance and sound on BBC Legends is often spotty, I am intrigued by the repertoire on this new album:

Reznicek's Donna Diana overture, Tchaikovsky's Third Symphony, and Elgar's Enigma Variations, recorded in 1962 and 1967

And for Andreas Staier fans:

I also see that the 11-CD Rubinstein Chopin box which has long been on Amazon for $20-$30 is being reissued, at full price, with one of the original CDs gone!

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on April 28, 2009, 11:42:15 AM
I also see that the 11-CD Rubinstein Chopin box which has long been on Amazon for $20-$30 is being reissued, at full price, with one of the original CDs gone!

Must be the last one which contains mono recordings from '46. The preludes, sonata no. 2, and some other stuff. In fact, I was just listening to that particular CD this afternoon and realised after a minute into it that I need a good, "modern" (even 60's would be fine) recording with the preludes. I just can't take the crackles and pops.

Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on April 28, 2009, 11:55:15 AMI was just listening to that particular CD this afternoon and realised after a minute into it that I need a good, "modern" (even 60's would be fine) recording with the preludes. I just can't take the crackles and pops.

Plenty of great choices available: Argerich (for white hot intensity), Pogorelich (for a more poetic, more individual), Moravec (for a poetic, more middle of the road approach.)

Opus106

Quote from: George on April 28, 2009, 12:01:18 PM
Plenty of great choices available: Argerich (for white hot intensity), Pogorelich (for a more poetic, more individual), Moravec (for a poetic, more middle of the road approach.)

Thanks, George. I'll have them in mind when I go shopping. :)

Update: It's the concerto disc that has been culled.
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Hear any word?

RE:  Taneyev Quartets (Volume II) on Naxos (Carpe Diem Quartet)

Yes Brian, I did get a response from Korine Fujiwara, the violist of Carpe Diem, although it was pretty vague as to the release of Volume II.  Here is re:

Volume two is in the Naxos pipeline shortly, it will include String Quartets #2 and 4.  I think you will also like these pieces.  We certainly enjoyed learning, performing, and recording them--they are just beautiful works.

The new erato

Quote from: erato on March 12, 2009, 01:49:44 PM
A few things still marked as preorder only at mdt which will be ordered on release:

Done. Fine disc.

Listening to it now!

On its way in the mail from mdt.

Still on the backburner.

And of course some EMI Icon boxes available March 23rd, prime of which is the Hans Hotter set.

On its way in the mail from Crotchet.

Overall some mighty fine work by me!

not edward

Quote from: Lethe on March 25, 2009, 07:48:11 PM

An exciting release, however I am put off immediately buying it by Edward's warning that the 9th (at the time, this was several years ago) was not worth listening to due to it being in a very poor performing edition (and the work being essentially unfinished anyway). I wonder whether this recording uses updated material?
A very belated response here: this is not the Rozhdestvensky version that caused the family to ban further performances of the work, but a new performing edition with the entire score having been deciphered and re-edited by the composer Alexander Raskatov. I will probably buy it when I see it, though I know critical opinion has not been particularly favourable.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Que

Indeed this:

Here are some recently released recordings that I'm looking forward to:

And this:

And for Andreas Staier fans:

Also this, which I even preordered.
It will finally complete the whole Haydn SQ cycle! :)
(ARCANA stopped activity before it could be issued before, due to the decease of its owner, Michel Bernstein.)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 28, 2009, 02:48:25 PM

It will finally complete the whole Haydn SQ cycle! :)
(ARCANA stopped activity before it could be issued before, due to the decease of its owner, Michel Bernstein.)

It looks like someone has decided to take over the label.  New website: www.arcana.eu
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!