Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 2405168 times)

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #16380 on: November 27, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »
Regarding Nielsen symphonies: Kuchar is surprisingly good. So is Leaper, on Naxos, speaking of budget labels. Kuchar must probably be said to have better sound.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:22:03 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #16381 on: November 27, 2021, 08:23:18 AM »

Thoughts?
Super thrilling interpretations, third tier orchestra. Sometimes I hear the strings struggling with something and wish they'd let him redo it with Chicago or Pittsburgh. But it is definitely worth having if you also have a great cycle with a great orchestra (Gilbert/NY or Oramo/Stockholm) as I like the wilder ride Kuchar provides.

There is a Theodore Kuchar Brilliant box of 14 CDs of his work available for around US $30. I own it because it also comes with lots of Dvorak, complete Smetana orchestral works, and Shostakovich ballet and jazz suites. (I originally bought the release you posted from ImportCDs for $6 but they never mailed it. Jerks.)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #16382 on: November 27, 2021, 08:25:50 AM »
Super thrilling interpretations, third tier orchestra. Sometimes I hear the strings struggling with something and wish they'd let him redo it with Chicago or Pittsburgh. But it is definitely worth having if you also have a great cycle with a great orchestra (Gilbert/NY or Oramo/Stockholm) as I like the wilder ride Kuchar provides.

There is a Theodore Kuchar Brilliant box of 14 CDs of his work available for around US $30. I own it because it also comes with lots of Dvorak, complete Smetana orchestral works, and Shostakovich ballet and jazz suites. (I originally bought the release you posted from ImportCDs for $6 but they never mailed it. Jerks.)

14 CDs for $30 is tempting. Wait, do I like Kuchar enough to justify that? He's a fine conductor but do I need 14 discs? Hmm...

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #16383 on: November 27, 2021, 08:28:15 AM »
14 CDs for $30 is tempting. Wait, do I like Kuchar enough to justify that? He's a fine conductor but do I need 14 discs? Hmm...
It's all good stuff. He doesn't have a tremendous personality or ego, he just plays things as straightforward and exciting as possible. And none of it is "profound" repertoire. Dvorak tone poems, Czech Suite; there's also a disc of Venezuelan music. In general I highly recommend it. I'll put one on at random sometimes when working from home thinking it would be fun to crank up some really loud romantic music  ;D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #16384 on: November 29, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »
there's also a disc of Venezuelan Latin American music.

Fixed that for you. The recording in question:

"Humility is society's greatest misconception."