Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: premont on April 07, 2024, 03:46:48 PMFor me the purpose of purchasing CDs is to listen to them. And as I have written before I purchase the CDs when they are available and listen to them when I get the time. This behavior is necessitated by the fact that many CDs only are available for a short time.

Hmm. Well, with some effort, eBay has supplied me things released 30 years ago. Though the supply of discs for more recent releases might actually be smaller, if the number of discs ever manufactured has gone down.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: DavidW on April 07, 2024, 08:19:44 AMI think you need to post this on the cdcdcdcdcd thread.  Certainly buying a 49 cd box set of a conductor you've never heard before counts!  Are you a doomsday prepper getting your bunker ready? :laugh:

He can always resell it on EBay.

I think Celibadache is a conductor whom some people will like and some won't, and it's all very much an individual thing.

His Bruckner is something that needs to be heard. The question is, should it be heard more than once? Some will say yeah, some will say nay.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

prémont

Quote from: Madiel on April 07, 2024, 05:14:57 PMHmm. Well, with some effort, eBay has supplied me things released 30 years ago. Though the supply of discs for more recent releases might actually be smaller, if the number of discs ever manufactured has gone down.
I always think I'm lucky if I can get hold of older CDs in that way. But another consideration is that the second hand price may be much higher than the original price. And it takes lots of time to find out where to get the CDs most cheaply if they are awailable at all.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mookalafalas

Quote from: JBS on April 07, 2024, 05:24:47 PMHe can always resell it on EBay.

;D I've fold about 30 box sets on Ebay over the years, some at very substantial profits. Unfortunately, I can't use Paypal for sales in Japan, which shuts me out of EBay, but I have 16 older box sets listed on a Japanese site called "Mericari."
It's all good...

Madiel

Quote from: premont on April 07, 2024, 11:22:05 PMI always think I'm lucky if I can get hold of older CDs in that way. But another consideration is that the second hand price may be much higher than the original price. And it takes lots of time to find out where to get the CDs most cheaply if they are awailable at all.

As I said, it does take effort. I won't buy something where I consider the price is outrageous, but yes there are times where I've definitely paid more than when something was first released. Not many, but some.

On the other hand, my purchasing rate is very low compared to many people here. I'm prepared to pay for what I truly want.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

atardecer

At the moment I'm interested in the Debussy complete works on Warner and the Mozart complete works on Brilliant Classics. Also a recording of Takemitsu's From Me Flows What You Call Time.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

DavidW

Quote from: JBS on April 07, 2024, 05:24:47 PMHis Bruckner is something that needs to be heard. The question is, should it be heard more than once? Some will say yeah, some will say nay.

I hate to be that guy, but that is the power of streaming.  And you certainly don't need a big box to dip your toes if you are anti-streaming, a single cd would do for a taste!  Not criticism, just an observation.

I really think only Brucknerians need bother with Celibidache's recordings because while interesting and unique... the more casual listener would be better served with a more main stream choice like Karajan or Jochum.

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on April 07, 2024, 03:06:01 PMTo be honest, for some forum members I have suspicions the addiction is to the shopping rather than to the music.

Nah.  Those same posters turn around and talk about what they listen to.  Harry has probably the largest collection of them all AND also posts so frequently on the music thread that I bet he spends several hours a day listening to music.

DavidW

Quote from: atardecer on April 08, 2024, 01:12:12 AMAt the moment I'm interested in the Debussy complete works on Warner and the Mozart complete works on Brilliant Classics. Also a recording of Takemitsu's From Me Flows What You Call Time.

I really like the Mozart Edition on Brilliant.  While you can always find better for any individual recording, I find it to be very consistently good.  I never regret pulling a cd out over streaming the top choice.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 07, 2024, 11:52:52 PM;D I've fold about 30 box sets on Ebay over the years, some at very substantial profits. Unfortunately, I can't use Paypal for sales in Japan, which shuts me out of EBay, but I have 16 older box sets listed on a Japanese site called "Mericari."

Have you tried selling through Discogs? I've made over 200 sales with no problems, received payments through PayPal, and I see there are sellers on there in Japan.

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2024, 06:01:21 AMNah.  Those same posters turn around and talk about what they listen to.  Harry has probably the largest collection of them all AND also posts so frequently on the music thread that I bet he spends several hours a day listening to music.

Well Harry wasn't one of the people I was thinking of. I'm well aware that he listens to his purchases very soon afterwards, and keeps engaging with them.

Atriod

Quote from: Madiel on April 07, 2024, 02:02:53 PMI recently listened to 2 podcast episodes about how addictive behaviours come about. And thought of you all...

I thought of myself too, but for different reasons.

Which podcast and episodes? I read several great studies on internet addiction and decided to limit my time to strictly 30 minutes per day on the weekdays for non work related things. I give myself a few more on the weekends. It's quite remarkable how much of a change that made.

Madiel

Quote from: Atriod on April 08, 2024, 01:59:27 PMWhich podcast and episodes? I read several great studies on internet addiction and decided to limit my time to strictly 30 minutes per day on the weekdays for non work related things. I give myself a few more on the weekends. It's quite remarkable how much of a change that made.

Hidden Brain. The episodes were in July last year and they're called "The Paradox of Pleasure" and "The Path to Enough".

Part of the point of the psychiatrist being interviewed is that the range of "addiction" is much broader than people often think. It includes her own story about becoming obsessed with romance novels.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 08, 2024, 07:39:31 AMHave you tried selling through Discogs? I've made over 200 sales with no problems, received payments through PayPal, and I see there are sellers on there in Japan.

No, I haven't. Thanks for the idea.
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2024, 06:01:21 AMNah.  Those same posters turn around and talk about what they listen to.  Harry has probably the largest collection of them all AND also posts so frequently on the music thread that I bet he spends several hours a day listening to music.

But notice he now mostly streams new issues or older stuff he didn't have in his collection.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Anooj

JPC is currently offering this unusually cheap. Is there anything controversial about this set that might make other recordings of these works significantly more attractive options, or should I plunge for it?

Florestan

Quote from: Anooj on Today at 04:00:40 AM

JPC is currently offering this unusually cheap. Is there anything controversial about this set that might make other recordings of these works significantly more attractive options, or should I plunge for it?

Listened to this very recently and enjoyed it a lot. If you really need all of Haydn's piano concertos other than the famous 4 and 11, and if it's unusually cheap, I'd say go for it. AFAIK there are only 3 other complete sets, of which I heard only one, namely this:

but honestly I don't remember anything about it (which I'm sure will be the case with the Kirschnereit set too in a few weeks time). Haydn's PCs are far from being on the level of Mozart's, anyway, so I doubt that they allow for significantly different approaches that would warrant owning multiple sets.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Jo498

Most people seem to combined 11 with 2 others on a single disc (because many of the other concerti are dubious and/or very early (and thus more suited to harpsichord anyway). I'd expect Kirschnereit to be good as he was quite good in Mozart and Mendelssohn. I am almost tempted by his Hummel/Weber/Mendelssohn concert piece disc but I rarely listen to this repertoire...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on Today at 06:42:35 AMI am almost tempted by his Hummel/Weber/Mendelssohn concert piece disc but I rarely listen to this repertoire...

That's a charming recording, you should give it a try.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno