New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 11, 2020, 01:40:37 AM

On the basis of track 1 . . . . fabulous!

You know I'm a fan, so onto the list it goes...  :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 11, 2020, 03:41:00 AM
You know I'm a fan, so onto the list it goes...  :)

Q

Yes I know, I thought you'd react like that. The booklet is really interesting on Le Jeune's clacissism - in fact listening to it I have become clear why I'm not really a fan myself - the music, the strophic music, is too orderly to get my imagination going. I feel on rails, on a predictable journey.

This link should get you to the booklet.

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/84/000133548.pdf
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Quote from: pjme on May 10, 2020, 11:12:25 PM
Somewhat obscure???? I don't think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%C5%A1a_Ve%C4%8Dtomov

OK, fine, I take it back. I made the all-too-common cognitive error that if I haven't ever heard of him, he must not be all that important. :D

Mandryka

If anyone finds a lossless transfer, physical or music files, please let me know.

(Bit of a challenging piece of music, this.)

Mandryka

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8773966--sweelinck-couperin-bach-works-for-harpsichord

Rather nice, and it makes me keen to hear her French suites, does anyone have it?  Without wishing to lapse into sexism, there is something very feminine about what she does. Sorry, can't explain it. Tender, sensual, melancholy, spiritual. This could work very well in the French suites.

The recording has a sixth partita. Really imaginative programme, to put that Bach piece with Sweelinck's Pavan Lachrimae and Louis Couperin -- but yes, she makes it work as a concept for me.

JBS

Alpha's website says they are shipping only to Europe and the Mediterranean, so this is not available in the US. 
But the web site doesn't completely load for me, so I have to depend on Arkivmusic's blurb, which isn't precise about the actual works performed.  This is a 3 CD set, officially released last Friday.

QuoteA leading authority on the fortepiano, Jos Van Immerseel has devised a programme focusing on the music Beethoven composed for a Viennese piano with a range of five octaves. This includes the finest keyboard music from Beethoven's early Viennese period, more specifically works written between 1795 and 1804. For this recording, the Flemish pianist has used the composer's extant autograph manuscripts or the first editions published shortly after composition, as well as the latest critical edition by Jonathan Del Mar (Kassel: Bärenreiter-Verlag, 2017-18). The writings of Carl Czerny, one of Beethoven's most important 'pupils', were also a significant source of information. With his customary attention to the instrumentarium, Jos Van Immerseel has opted for a five-octave Viennese grand fortepiano by Christopher Clarke, a masterly replica, built in 1988, of an instrument by Walter, whom Beethoven himself selected in 1802 from among the sixty or so Viennese piano makers of the time.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on May 12, 2020, 06:21:05 PM
Alpha's website says they are shipping only to Europe and the Mediterranean, so this is not available in the US. 
But the web site doesn't completely load for me, so I have to depend on Arkivmusic's blurb, which isn't precise about the actual works performed.  This is a 3 CD set, officially released last Friday.

They don't make it easy to figure out on their website.  I see a single CD with that image on it, but it's called "Piano Works of the Young Beethoven" and listed as Alpha594.   :(  And it's also listed as coming soon, but also doesn't have a track listing for it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

I decided to do some research on Alpha future releases to see if I could dig anything up. I did dig it up. It looks like covid-19 has severely affected the label's planning because not only are future releases being delayed, but there are also releases which were supposed to be out already that clearly are not.

there's a cool, delayed cello recital with newly signed Alpha artist Truls Mork:

Bridge, Britten, Debussy: Cello Sonatas
+ Janacek Pohadka (Fairy Tale)
with Havard Gimse, piano

This was scheduled for February but as far as I know never actually appeared.

-

Scheduled for March but not apparent:

Haydn: The Creation
Il Giardino Armonico + Bavarian Radio Chorus
Giovanni Antonini

-

I DID find the Immerseel 3CD box. Here are the contents:

Sonatas 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15
Rondos Op 51 (it says Nos. 2 and 3 but there are only two so...?!)
Rondo Op 129 "Rage over a lost penny"

-

Also scheduled for May but probably delayed:

Lully: Armide
Veronique Gens, Reinoud van Mechelen, Tassis Christoyannis, etc.
Le Concert Spirituel
Herve Niquet

-

A double album of clarinet duets, including concertos/suites by Telemann, C. Stamitz, and Felix Mendelssohn.
Michel Portal, Paul Meyer
Wallonian Chamber Orchestra

-

Vienna 1900
chamber album featuring Schoenberg Chamber Symphony No. 1, Zemlinsky Clarinet Trio, etc.
Daishin Kashimoto, violin; Emmanuel Pahud, flute; Paul Meyer, clarinet; Zvi Plesser, cello; Eric Le Sage, piano
scheduled for June

-

Mahler 7
Lille National Orchestra
Alexandre Bloch
scheduled for June

-

the next wave of their line of cheap reissues of back catalogue items was also scheduled to arrive in June. Highlights include Amandine Beyer's Bach sonatas and partitas, Neapolitan sonatas by Alessandro Scarlatti, Vivaldi's Gloria and Magnificat with Le Concert Spirituel (which is only a 4 year old release, the original is still out there!), and Collegium 1704's recording of Zelenka's catchily titled "I penitenti al sepolchro del redentore."

JBS

Thank you Brian!
Arkivmusic lists the Immerseel as back order, and Amazon US lists it with no cover image or contents as currently unavailable.

I thought I had noticed that Creation on Arkivmusic, but can"t find it now.

aukhawk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 11, 2020, 01:30:24 AM

On the basis of three one minute samples this sounds worth hearing. Clearly he's a man after my own heart because we agree about Badiarov in the second suite! I remember what a revelation it was for me when I first heard it.

There's a video of Malov playing Suite No.6 here on All of Bach.
Great music, well played. fascinating venue, high production values, worth half an hour of anyone's time.  My only complaint is he's obviously been told not to move around - he looks as though his shoes have been nailed to the floor.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2020, 07:19:57 AMIt looks like covid-19 has severely affected the label's planning because not only are future releases being delayed, but there are also releases which were supposed to be out already that clearly are not.

I suspect new release plans for all labels will be negatively impacted.  I've noticed a decrease in volume of new releases on all sites I visit. 

And now HMV Japan will not ship outside Japan :(.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

prémont

Quote from: aukhawk on May 13, 2020, 09:46:15 AM
There's a video of Malov playing Suite No.6 here on All of Bach.
Great music, well played. fascinating venue, high production values, worth half an hour of anyone's time.  My only complaint is he's obviously been told not to move around - he looks as though his shoes have been nailed to the floor.

There is another (older) video on youtube with Malov playing the 6th suite. Same great playing as on his older recording of the piece, where he does all the repeats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-H6XAIwZKA

It seems as if this is only part of the suite. It was at least complete a year ago.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2020, 07:19:57 AM
I decided to do some research on Alpha future releases to see if I could dig anything up. I did dig it up. It looks like covid-19 has severely affected the label's planning because not only are future releases being delayed, but there are also releases which were supposed to be out already that clearly are not.

there's a cool, delayed cello recital with newly signed Alpha artist Truls Mork:

Bridge, Britten, Debussy: Cello Sonatas
+ Janacek Pohadka (Fairy Tale)
with Havard Gimse, piano
Cool!  May I ask where you managed to find out the info?  And well done you!   :)

The Truls Work one looks tempting to me too.
PD
This was scheduled for February but as far as I know never actually appeared.

-

Scheduled for March but not apparent:

Haydn: The Creation
Il Giardino Armonico + Bavarian Radio Chorus
Giovanni Antonini

-

-

Also scheduled for May but probably delayed:

Lully: Armide
Veronique Gens, Reinoud van Mechelen, Tassis Christoyannis, etc.
Le Concert Spirituel
Herve Niquet

-

A double album of clarinet duets, including concertos/suites by Telemann, C. Stamitz, and Felix Mendelssohn.
Michel Portal, Paul Meyer
Wallonian Chamber Orchestra

-

Vienna 1900
chamber album featuring Schoenberg Chamber Symphony No. 1, Zemlinsky Clarinet Trio, etc.
Daishin Kashimoto, violin; Emmanuel Pahud, flute; Paul Meyer, clarinet; Zvi Plesser, cello; Eric Le Sage, piano
scheduled for June

-

Mahler 7
Lille National Orchestra
Alexandre Bloch
scheduled for June

-

the next wave of their line of cheap reissues of back catalogue items was also scheduled to arrive in June. Highlights include Amandine Beyer's Bach sonatas and partitas, Neapolitan sonatas by Alessandro Scarlatti, Vivaldi's Gloria and Magnificat with Le Concert Spirituel (which is only a 4 year old release, the original is still out there!), and Collegium 1704's recording of Zelenka's catchily titled "I penitenti al sepolchro del redentore."
Hmm...for some reason or another the comments that I had typed didn't show up.  In any event, well done Brian!  I'm curious as to where you found the info (I was googling around too).   :)

And, like others here, I suspect that most record labels have been struggling with delays amidst the Covid-19.   :(

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Found this on my way to check something else.
[asin]B085K5K6BB[/asin]
Amazon gives the scheduled release date as 4 September.

amw

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2020, 07:19:57 AM

It'll be available for streaming on Qobuz sometime next month.

It also includes Sonata 18 and the Andante favori (but only the second of the Rondos Op.51). Timings indicate universally slow tempi but I'll still probably listen to it.

Todd

Ugh.

Amazon Germany is posting future releases again.

FelixSkodi

Brian

"ugh" = not a Stern fan huh?

Todd

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 05, 2020, 11:42:37 AM

The piano used on the Clementi disc was built in Clementi's own studio in approx. 1806. The "Musical Characteristics" are a series of impressions of the styles of other composers, including Haydn and Mozart.

Didn't catch this the first time around.  Nicholas Rimmer is a very fine pianist; if he's good enough for Nils Monkemeyer, he's good enough for me.  I think I shall obtain this recording.