New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 23, 2020, 06:31:46 AM
AUGUST continues...

YES!!! Finally! This is an instant purchase for me. I hope they get around to recording the 8th as well.

André

I'm interested in this one:

Thanks for the heads up, Brian !

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 16, 2020, 12:46:22 PM

It includes a movement from an unfinished Piano Concerto by Enescu.
I hadn't realized before now that Silvestri was also a composer...neat!

PD

p.s.  A bit of a strange cover photo?
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on June 23, 2020, 06:38:09 AM
Judging from the many Turkish TV series I've been watching courtesy of some Romanian TV channels, "tranquility" is the last thing I associate with Anatolia. All characters set in deep Anatolia are actually violent and unstable: now they shoot each other in a frenzy, then they cry on each other's shoulders and the next thing you see it's pistols at work again.  ;D (I'm exaggerating but not too much.)
Yes exactly! During my week in Istanbul visiting my grandmother in 2011, I watched all the TV with her every evening and witnessed a vengeful ship captain driving his ship into a waterfront house, and a business executive eating poisonous Tic-Tacs in the middle of a meeting and leaping onto the conference table in order to die sprawled across all of the paperwork. And then there was the show about Suleiman...

Que

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 23, 2020, 01:29:58 AM
Has this been mentioned?
[asin]B08673MD42[/asin]

Already out in UK, but not til August in the US.  Frankly, it is very attractive to me, although I need another large conductor's set like I need a hole in the head ::)

Go for it!  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on June 23, 2020, 08:38:34 AM
Yes exactly! During my week in Istanbul visiting my grandmother in 2011, I watched all the TV with her every evening and witnessed a vengeful ship captain driving his ship into a waterfront house,

I remember that series.  :)

QuoteAnd then there was the show about Suleiman...

A blockbuster here in Romania.  :D Tbh, I think it was quite good --- actually, the best Turkish TV series are the historical ones; the other ones are fun to watch for a while but become boring rather soon.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on June 23, 2020, 08:52:54 AM
Go for it!  :D

???  Kidding, Que? This doesn't look like something you'd recommend (or this type of mega-box, in general).

I recently got the "Academy of St. Martin's in the Fields" box as sort of an impulse buy, having just a few of their disks, both with and without Neville Marriner. And it has turned out to be fantastic. Every disk I play out of it seems reference-quality, for sound and interpretation.   My general impression of Barbirolli is very  high, but it's another case where I only have a couple samples.
It's all good...

Que

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 23, 2020, 04:37:15 PM
???  Kidding, Que? This doesn't look like something you'd recommend (or this type of mega-box, in general).

Yeah, I was kidding.  :D

Mandryka

https://inexhaustibleeditions.bandcamp.com/album/dedekind-duos

I know (some of) this music through another recording by Duo Contour. It is airy and minimal.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Itullian

When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 24, 2020, 12:25:10 AM

https://inexhaustibleeditions.bandcamp.com/album/dedekind-duos

I know (some of) this music through another recording by Duo Contour. It is airy and minimal.

As a former mathematics major, I have to say that is the nerdiest album title ever!

Proof: I went to the label site, and the notes conclude with ...So, speaking about the Dedekind Duos: if "two" is about disjunction, about separation, the idea of "Dedekind cut" is near.

I may have to listen on that basis alone  ;D , even though I doubt Wandelweiser is exactly my cup of tea.

[Added] OMG, there already was a music project on bandcamp named "Dedekind Cut"!
https://leebannon.bandcamp.com/  Dedekind Cut Pronounced "Dead-da-ken Cut" is a music project fronted by Northern California based experimental composer & producer Fred Welton Warmsley iii. One of various monikers used in a larger heterogeneous anthology of Fred's music and art projects. the "DED" extracts the calm of industrial music in modern approach to Noise, New Age & Ambient music.
Sorry for the digression, not a new release. Too bad I discovered it late; the yoga mats are sold out...  ;)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Maestro267

It is a lengthy concerto, but with Gergiev conducting it's probably going to be sub-40.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on June 24, 2020, 03:00:42 PM
As a former mathematics major, I have to say that is the nerdiest album title ever!

There's also the Cantor Quartets -- very beautiful too, in that Wandelweisser way.

https://anothertimbre.bandcamp.com/album/cantor-quartets
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

IMHO Forgotten records is doing a great work with French Music of last century.

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 26, 2020, 12:03:12 PM
There's also the Cantor Quartets -- very beautiful too, in that Wandelweisser way.

https://anothertimbre.bandcamp.com/album/cantor-quartets

Thanks. That is an interesting release, but a little too subtle for me. In the Cantor vein, someone should (maybe it's already happened?) compose a piece referencing Gödel's incompleteness theorems (whose proofs utilize a Cantor diagonalization process)!

It did motivate me to take a deeper look at the Another Timbre catalog, beyond the "name" (Cage, Feldman) composers.
Just to start with, John Lely's The Harmonics of Real Strings, Richard Glover's Logical Harmonies, Catherine Lamb's three bodies (moving) [a physics nerd title!], Evans-Weiler/Pisaro Lines and Tracings and  Illogical Harmonies' Volume all got my attention.

A lot to explore in that catalog, online for the moment as I'm not sure whether the recordings would have enough "staying power" to purchase after my recent Cage Number Pieces binge.

Ras

More Beethoven headache for Mandryka  :-X

Released yesterday:

[asin]B086PVQLNP[/asin]

July 10th:

[asin]B088T2D9YH[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

André

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 26, 2020, 06:01:10 PM

IMHO Forgotten records is doing a great work with French Music of last century.

Thanks, another one to keep an eye on !