New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2020, 02:18:17 PM

Smetana Quartet's complete Beethoven cycle recorded for Nippon Columbia and here "the very first release beyond Japan." I imagine this will be mandatory shopping for many Beethovenphiles here!

I will buy the moment it is available in the US.  (Some European Amazons are not currently shipping everything to the States, and getting things out of Japan is currently like it was in the 90s.)

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2020, 02:18:17 PM

Unexpected, and another must buy.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

arpeggio

Although he is not everybody's cup of tea I have always been a fan of Danielpour.

[asin]B083N38FHJ[/asin]

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 11, 2020, 07:38:06 PM

Holy Schnittke! ;) Very great to see another recording of Guarnieri's orchestral music coming out. That will be a must-buy.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: T. D. on July 11, 2020, 06:48:21 AM

Maybe not "new" but recent. "Modern and electro-acoustic works for harpsichord". A bit surprising for Hyperion?

I expect the attraction for Hyperion is not so much the repertoire but the artist. He's done a number of albums for them of older music. This is his pay-off in contemporary works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

T. D.

Quote from: Madiel on July 12, 2020, 02:00:16 AM
I expect the attraction for Hyperion is not so much the repertoire but the artist. He's done a number of albums for them of older music. This is his pay-off in contemporary works.

Agreed, that seems likely.

Mirror Image

I wanted to provide this description of this Guarnieri recording posted via Presto Classical:

Camargo Guarnieri's catalogue of works represents a legacy of incalculable worth for Brazilian culture, as has his influence as a teacher on several generations of younger composers. His association with the poet and musicologist Mário de Andrade led to the birth of the Brazilian Nationalist School and the ideals of using traditional Brazilian music in classical forms. The series of seven Choros and the Seresta for Piano and Orchestra represent Guarnieri's personal approach to the concerto form, with striking contrasts between potent rhythm and dense, emotionally charged soundscapes and melodies full of Brazilian inspiration. This volume forms part of the first complete recording of the Choros.

kyjo

I noticed the Guarnieri on Naxos' website and was going to post about it here, but Naxos' website was being too slow as usual. ::) Anyway, very enticing stuff, and let's hope Naxos gets around to some Claudio Santóro in their Brazilian Composers Series as well. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Itullian

Is that Smetana Quartet Beethoven cycle different than the one they recorded on Denon?
Thanks
When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

Todd

Quote from: Itullian on July 12, 2020, 05:27:37 PM
Is that Smetana Quartet Beethoven cycle different than the one they recorded on Denon?
Thanks

It is the same one.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Carlo Gesualdo

Here two new release of 2020 for you what do you guys thinks?

Here my verdict first, I would love instantly the new Cristobal de Morales Super Lamentationes  on Capella de Ministers.

And the new Gesualdo on graindelavoix not that I did not like it,, but did not catch my ''full attention'' perhaps it's more experimental more exotic flavored, since it's graindelavoix ensemble I will perhaps herald it later on?

Wanderer

Quote from: Madiel on July 12, 2020, 01:58:59 AM
Complete songs? Oh wow.

Volume 1. Hopefully, they'll follow through to the end.

Madiel

Quote from: Wanderer on July 12, 2020, 07:49:06 PM

Yes, and hopefully I'm keen on the performances.

I was all excited when Delphian announced its album a few years back, but then it's not complete.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Wanderer on July 12, 2020, 07:49:06 PM
Yes, this is interesting and a bit adventurous. But it'll be an undertaking, since there are about 110 songs ...

Daverz

Quote from: Itullian on July 12, 2020, 05:27:37 PM
Thanks

But I think Denon was a Nippon Columbia label, so I'm also confused.  Was the Denon cycle only available in Japan?  I found the Middle Quartets second-hand years ago. 

JBS

These are currently available on Amazon MP, albeit not cheaply for two of the three.
[asin]B002OKTALO[/asin]
[asin]B000F0H3PU[/asin]
[asin]B003RECFOA[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on July 13, 2020, 03:31:21 PM
These are currently available on Amazon MP, albeit not cheaply for two of the three.
[asin]B002OKTALO[/asin]
[asin]B000F0H3PU[/asin]
[asin]B003RECFOA[/asin]

Discogs entry for the Denon set:

https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Smetana-Quartet-The-Complete-String-Quartets/release/13431033

The middle cover is from an older set of the Late Quartets from the 60s:

https://www.supraphon.com/album/360-beethoven-string-quartets-nos-11-16-incl-grosse-fuge

vandermolen

Previously on the defunct ClassicO label:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on July 15, 2020, 09:25:26 PM
Previously on the defunct ClassicO label:

You can still get the Butterworth and Gipps symphonies in this cheap box:

[asin]B004VRXEXI[/asin]

But kudos to Alto to having a keen eye for repetoire.  I think the Arnold Organ Concerto is a new addition.