New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

It's a very poor year for releases in early music so far I think  -- when I compare to last year.  The quality is just not there.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2020, 06:23:36 AM
It's a very poor year for releases in early music so far I think  -- when I compare to last year.  The quality is just not there.
I'm finding very little I want to buy.

jlopes

prémont

Quote from: Ras on August 14, 2020, 03:38:47 AM

Harmonia Mundi is releasing a box with all of Liszt's Beethoven symphony-transcriptions (for piano) played by various pianists - it seems to be a box that consists of previously released recordings?
Here are the pianists:
Paul Badura-Skoda (piano)
Michel Dalberto (piano)
Jean-Louis Haguenauer (piano)
Jean-Claude Pennetier (piano)
Alain Planes (piano)
Georges Pludermacher (piano)
I couldn't find it on amazon.de, but this site has it listed:
https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/148250/Beethoven-Liszt_-_The_Symphonies_transcribed_for_piano.htm

I have owned the previous releases for decades.  Well worth a listen.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Quote from: jlopes on August 14, 2020, 08:37:48 AM
The filler is a new set of Intermezzi Widmann wrote for Schiff.

Outstanding.

Brian

October teaser:
- Antonini and Il Giardino Armonico pivot from Haydn's symphonies to his Creation
- Lucchesini Schubert Vol. 3
- Andrew Litton completes his Prokofiev symphony cycle with 1/2/3
- Daniel Grimwood returns in Brahms chamber works, not sure if HIP
- Bernard Herrmann's opera "Whitman"

I'm not posting more because I don't have images or tracklists or artist info yet, beyond what's in the titles.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 14, 2020, 11:39:25 AM
- Lucchesini Schubert Vol. 3

That's all you had to say.

relm1

Quote from: Brian on August 14, 2020, 11:39:25 AM
October teaser:
- Bernard Herrmann's opera "Whitman"

There is no opera by Herrmann called "Whitman", are you sure you don't mean "Wuthering Heights"?

Brian

Quote from: relm1 on August 14, 2020, 04:22:19 PM
There is no opera by Berrmann called "Whitman", are you sure you don't mean "Wuthering Heights"?
Sorry, I guess it's incidental music to a radio drama. https://www.artsjournal.com/uq/2019/06/whitman-and-music-a-fresh-discovery.html

Undersea

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 10, 2020, 01:06:04 PM
Some years ago I purchased the CDs with the cello/saxophone arrangement, but they ended in the bin.

Joking aside do you do that (throw unwanted CD's in the Bin) often? - With Cd's I don't like/need any more I usually give them to Charity or sell them on EBay...

relm1

prémont

Quote from: Undersea on August 14, 2020, 06:41:58 PM
Joking aside do you do that (throw unwanted CD's in the Bin) often? - With Cd's I don't like/need any more I usually give them to Charity or sell them on EBay...

Depends upon how the recording is. Some CDs I give to some interested friends, but if I consider the recording to be crap it goes to the bin. I have never used Ebay.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Undersea

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 15, 2020, 12:48:03 PM
Depends upon how the recording is. Some CDs I give to some interested friends, but if I consider the recording to be crap it goes to the bin. I have never used Ebay.

What I sometimes do is gather up a pile of the crap CDs over a period of 6 months or so and hand them in at a charity shop - You have some Danish version of Oxfam right?
I'm an Ebay addict - I think it's a reputable site and certainly safe to buy/sell from... :)

Madiel

Two CD-Rs that Amazon sold me without knowing they were CD-Rs (and in one case Amazon themselves doesn't seem to have known  ::)) will be going in the bin. I wouldn't wish them upon anyone.

Actual CDs, I've been party to the physical destruction of one with virtually no musical merit. Many years ago. A bunch of Christians attempting to make songs out of Bible verses. It was my Bible study group that decided to destroy it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

I've got a lot of CD-Rs. They play exactly the same as the original CDs. Most importantly, when I rip them to FLAC onto a HDD, which I am doing now with my collection, I can put them away and forget about them.

Some of the CD-Rs I have are of extremely rare and oop recordings. Argerich playing some LvB piano sonatas from the '60s is just one example. She's never revisited them or any other LvB PS. I also picked up Ginzburg playing the Chopin Op 25 Etudes. A priceless recording.
Cheers

Holden

prémont

Quote from: Undersea on August 15, 2020, 03:55:18 PM
What I sometimes do is gather up a pile of the crap CDs over a period of 6 months or so and hand them in at a charity shop - You have some Danish version of Oxfam right?
I'm an Ebay addict - I think it's a reputable site and certainly safe to buy/sell from... :)

We have in the town where I live a Red Cross and also a Blue Cross thrift shop, which I  use not only to deliver to but also sometimes to purchase from, but I have not given them CDs so far. And when I write crap CDs, I mean crap CDs, which it would be far from charity to impose upon anyone.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Undersea

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 16, 2020, 03:24:56 AM
We have in the town where I live a Red Cross and also a Blue Cross thrift shop, which I  use not only to deliver to but also sometimes to purchase from, but I have not given them CDs so far. And when I write crap CDs, I mean crap CDs, which it would be far from charity to impose upon anyone.

No offense but what credentials do you have which would put you in a position to judge what other people find valuable or not? :)

prémont

Quote from: Undersea on August 16, 2020, 04:09:04 AM
No offense but what credentials do you have which would put you in a position to judge what other people find valuable or not? :)

You may have a point there, but as I own these CDs, I also have got the right to decide what do do with them.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: Holden on August 16, 2020, 12:19:58 AMI've got a lot of CD-Rs. They play exactly the same as the original CDs. Most importantly, when I rip them to FLAC onto a HDD, which I am doing now with my collection, I can put them away and forget about them.

Exactly.  The concerns people have about CD vs CD-R are bizarre.  They are both physical data storage formats.  That's all.  Transfer the data to something else if it's a problem.