New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

I've been holding off on Williams' Schubert, but now that eight discs have been boxed up, it could offer an A/B with Pienaar.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on October 10, 2020, 06:50:53 AM

I've been holding off on Williams' Schubert, but now that eight discs have been boxed up, it could offer an A/B with Pienaar.

Is this an 8-CD box?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Brian

16 CDs
136-page booklet
recorded 2015-16

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

One day, there will be no new recordings that interest me.  Today is not that day.

A timely complete set.

Whatever's included in the recording, I want it.

Nice to see more Odradek releases.  No reason Shakira shouldn't influence other genres, even if it applies only to covers.

From the austere album cover collection.

Like the Capuçons, but more of them.

Huh.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

Very positive first impression of this one.

QuoteThis recording focuses on his fantasias, remarkable masterpieces of counterpoint, rhetoric, architecture and virtuosity. Some of them are profoundly melancholic, while others seem full of gleaming light, but all reveal the true genius of John Dowland, who brought passionate emotion to the instrumental polyphonic writing of the renaissance. This may have been thanks to his character or to the influence of his Italian colleagues, who probably also shaped his use of chromaticism. His unique chromatic fantasias, monothematic monuments, the central axis of this programme, represent the very pinnacle of lute music.
These fancies make the lute speak as never before, turning it, in Dowland's own words, into the "most musicall instrument". He shared this vision with his eminent Florentine colleague Vincenzo Galilei, who compared the lute to the "least imperfect" among the instruments, the organ:"all of whom [organists], not by failure of their art and knowledge but by the nature of the instrument, have not been able, cannot, and never will be able to express the harmonies for affetti like durezza, mollezza, asprezza, dolcezza, consequently the cries, shrieks, tears, and finally quietude and rage—with so much grace and skill as excellent players do on the lute".

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on September 20, 2020, 01:49:16 AM

Cut Circle take a slice of the Ockeghem songs market. Details and samples here.

http://cutcircle.org/recordings/johannes-ockeghem-the-songs/

That's the only time I've seen someone using "close miked" like it's a good thing!

The first song is astonishing - like Graindelavoix! Haven't heard more yet,

Brian

Immensely amused to report that Amazon.de translated a new biography of Schubert (which mentions the "wanderer") as "Schubert Loves Hiking"  ;D ;D

Also:

for Karl Richter superfans

Holden

This appeared on my FB page. The sample I listened to sounded very good in comparision the Op13/1 my DGG box set

Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Nice c15 and c16 organs, at first I said to myself that they've chosen the wrong Gabrieli, but actually it's rather enjoyable. Recording made in 1994 but as far as I know not previously released

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 10, 2020, 01:44:53 PM

There are already too many recordings of Bach's violin sonatas, and I've given up keeping up.

But Pamena Nikitassova is an exceptional talent, I recently discovered.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 11, 2020, 01:18:18 AM
There are already too many recordings of Bach's violin sonatas, and I've given up keeping up.

But Pamena Nikitassova is an exceptional talent, I recently discovered.

Q

Forget that. Listen to the Dowland quick and tell me what you think!

Mandryka

10 course lute makes for an interesting sound.

Mandryka

Actually Bertoldo's music sounds like it's worth listening to. The organ has no bass at all, and it doesn't produce any interesting scrunch harmonies - I can't see the specs online, though apparently they're in the booklet.

Mandryka

This is absolutely fabulous in a Frenchified way. Always loved the rats.

Mandryka

The sound is not natural, but it has had me totally strapped to my seat. Somehow this recording has managed to capture all the excitement of an incandescent live concert. This year has been outstanding for new recordings of gamba, first a whole bunch of them from Dunford and now Kuijken.