Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1847563 times)

Offline Iota

Re: New Releases
« Reply #10840 on: November 18, 2020, 07:59:45 AM »
I was going to mention Matan Porat in defense of the "very mixed recital." But I was going to mention another of his albums, "Variations on a Theme by Scarlatti," where he takes a Scarlatti sonata and, like the Goldberg Variations, plays it at the start and end of the album, surrounding dozens of small works by other composers which he thinks sound like variations in obvious or subtle ways. The range goes from other baroque composers (Couperin) all the way to Kurtag and Boulez.

That album does not include one big piece chopped up into bits, like Porat's Carnaval or Ms. Schmidt's Miroirs. So it is different from what we're talking about. But it does one thing I really like - I really enjoy the experience of having a smart, tasteful, interesting artist curate a listening program for me without asking me, so that they can reveal all sorts of new things I'd never thought of. One example - Porat plays a Boulez Notation and then goes straight, without pause, into a piece by Mozart that's so weird I thought maybe it was more Boulez and not Mozart. That's a really surprising and delightful experience.

The effect is similar for me in Marino Formenti's 'Kurtag's Ghosts', which is also really effectively curated. The effect the pieces have upon eachother in terms of perception is at times really striking, and sometimes as you say, delightfully disorientating. I'd recommend it highly.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #10841 on: November 18, 2020, 08:18:14 AM »
I’m sure this has already been posted I’m sure, but...

...of course, Naxos would box this series up after I had bought them all individually. ::) For those that missed out the first-time, don’t hesitate and buy this set. Not all of the symphonies are top-drawer, but there is some fine music here.
Yes, this is of great interest John, although I think that I've bought too many of the separate releases to justify splashing out on the boxed set (not that this has stopped me in the pass, Thomson's Bax and VW cycles, Haitink's VW cycle and the Naxos Arnold cycle being examples  ::))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #10842 on: November 18, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
Yes, this is of great interest John, although I think that I've bought too many of the separate releases to justify splashing out on the boxed set (not that this has stopped me in the pass, Thomson's Bax and VW cycles, Haitink's VW cycle and the Naxos Arnold cycle being examples  ::))

You may want to refrain from buying this set, Jeffrey as you may or may not have it coming in the post. ;)
Don’t forget your three A’s, folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #10843 on: November 18, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »
Not sure if this CD was posted already: Penderecki's Sinfoniettas
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #10844 on: November 18, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »

Some Lambert de Sayve, and a lot of Lassus. Music which Kepler probably knew . . . and some striking pieces by a living composer called Calliope Tsoupaki.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:06:11 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #10845 on: November 19, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »

Figuren der Sehnsucht, Hans Maier plays Frescobaldi, Froberger  and others on a meantone tuned accordion. It includes a couple of  pieces by Nikolaus Brass, a living composer and a great favourite of mine (though I’m not sure about the long piece here!)

He sometimes plays the baroque music in a way which is very eccentric in conventional HIP terms, many things sound unexpectedly like an elevation toccata and of course everything is durezze. But it’s not totally unattractive and it really shows the harmonic impact of the tuning well in the baroque pieces. Viva discord!

NB I haven’t heard the Zipoli - not my sort of thing at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 10:55:55 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #10846 on: November 19, 2020, 10:49:31 AM »
Not sure if this CD was posted already: Penderecki's Sinfoniettas

More doom and gloom from Penderecki.
Don’t forget your three A’s, folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #10847 on: November 19, 2020, 09:18:51 PM »

This is volume 8 of 9. Roscoe, like Hewitt, seems to be leaving the Hammerklavier for last.

I wasn't sold on his recording of the three last sonatas, despite someone else describing it as one of the great late Beethoven recordings. Opinions presumably will vary.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #10848 on: November 19, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »

Also a more interesting, or at least weirder, Beethoven sonata release. Tom Beghin plays Beethoven exactly the way Beethoven complained about all of Beethoven's own contemporaries playing Beethoven—i.e. with added ornamentation and ostentatious tempo changes. His technique also isn't that great. On a preliminary examination though, this seems more worth listening to than the earlier release of the late piano sonatas on Beethoven's Broadwood.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #10849 on: November 20, 2020, 01:25:41 AM »

I wasn't sold on his recording of the three last sonatas, despite someone else describing it as one of the great late Beethoven recordings. Opinions presumably will vary.

I just listened to 109. It sounded like really good playing of a pretty mainstream interpretation. If there are new interesting ideas in there, you’d have to more familiar with the reception of the music than I am to notice them.

But rather nice nonetheless.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 01:01:49 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10850 on: November 20, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »

This is volume 8 of 9. Roscoe, like Hewitt, seems to be leaving the Hammerklavier for last.

Martin Roscoe and great late Beethoven?  One day I shall find out, but not today.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #10851 on: November 20, 2020, 01:05:15 PM »
It was 109 I heard this morning, not 110, I changed the post. But I listened to his 110 this afternoon, and the 109 again, and I must say, I think they were very enjoyable indeed, memorable performances for me. 109 especially was delicate, nuanced, touching, feminine - as in the “snowdrops gave a feminine touch to the table"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 01:17:14 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10852 on: November 21, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #10853 on: November 21, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »

Was she 'fated' to live in the shadow of her 'feted' older brother as some would say? Her bio says otherwise.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10854 on: November 22, 2020, 06:05:50 AM »
One for Todd (and Sarge  ;) )

Information

Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven

CD1:

(01) Piano Trio in E flat major, Op. 1 No. 1
    (05) Piano Trio in G major, Op. 1 No. 2

CD2:

(01) Piano Trio in C minor, Op. 1 No. 3
    (05) Piano Trio in D major, Op. 70 No. 1 "Ghost"

CD3:

(01) Piano Trio in E flat major, Op. 70 No. 2
    (05) Piano Trio in B flat major, Op. 97 "Archduke"

Trio Sōra
Pauline Chenais, piano
Clémence de Forceville, violin
Angèle Legasa, cello

Date: 2020
Label: Naïve
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10855 on: November 22, 2020, 06:20:05 AM »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10856 on: November 22, 2020, 06:20:59 AM »
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10857 on: November 22, 2020, 06:23:15 AM »
Oooops, my bad! Did you push the button or not?

Not yet.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #10858 on: November 22, 2020, 06:26:36 AM »

Not yet.

Okay. I just did. The Piano Trios are, along the Violin Sonatas, my favorite Beethoven chamber music:D

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #10859 on: November 22, 2020, 07:02:17 AM »

I spy Mr Mönkemeyer's name.

What's this, a high mid-price reissue?  Mr Orozco should get the big box treatment. 

A pity a violinist as good as Ms Conunova must record yet another version of this musical travesty.