New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 26, 2020, 07:21:16 AMMTT's Ives recordings were just issued as a box, so his Stravinsky seems a good possibility.

This would be a small box set, too. Probably only three CDs.

Roy Bland

André

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 29, 2020, 09:35:51 PM

Thanks, Roy!

Hopefully that will be available through normal channels at a reasonable price. Providing the performance is a valuable one (the soloist looks so young!) and sonics tolerable, I'd be interested in it. Gurlitt was a very good composer with a very meagre representation on disc.

Brian

Belated - February 2021 - but seems likely to be one of the best Beethoven anniversary albums. 11 page booklet essay by Honeck explaining his interpretation.

14:32
13:12
12:34
22:30
= 62:48

Honeck's notes indicate he is taking a bold interventionist approach with his own ideas:

"A final moment to consider is the grandiose passage near the end of the first movement which Beethoven has composed as a funeral march [measure 513 or 13:23]. Here, I reduce the tempo and pay particular attention to the wave-like secondary figures in the strings. I ask for a kind of tremolo which adds an almost gruesome, somber effect. I also direct the strings to play ponticello (near the bridge), thus producing an icy and rigid sound."

At the start of the finale, Honeck also attempts to have the cellos and basses "sing" their "narrator" part as if they are actually singing the words which Beethoven wrote on his score underneath the returns of the first three movements' themes, "subordinating the music to the flow of the speech melody, though in many instances, Beethoven does not notate these nuances."

also of interest:

"A great deal of discussion has taken place about the pace of the march (originally meant to be Turkish music) that follows [measure 331 or 9:29], perhaps due to the fact that some sources indicate the metronome marking as 84 for the half beat. But this would be an unbearably slow tempo for a march. Musicologists generally agree that this metronome number likely refers to the whole bar and I likewise concur for several key reasons. Firstly, the theme of joy from measure 92 [2:49] (metronome marking = 80) is in direct relation to the theme of joy of the march in measure 343 [9:37] (metronome marking = 84). Additionally, it is a tempo approximating a French Revolutionary march, which, according to tradition, was always faster than a Prussian march. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the desired expression: the expectation of a happy victory.... Although I am personally cautious about pedantically following the metronome markings, I am grateful that Beethoven has shared these numbers. "

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brass Hole

April 9th:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Oooh, happy to see the Jasper Quartet back on recordings. Enjoyed their Beethoven-Kernis pairings.

Brian

well, well, well, look what I found...

Eugene Ormandy-the Columbia Legacy
Preis:   204,99 €

Produktinformation
Hersteller : Sony Classical (Sony Music)
Label : Sony Classical (Sony Music)
ASIN : B08QRXT715
Anzahl Disks : 120

Dieser Artikel erscheint am 26. März 2021.

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 04, 2021, 08:00:13 AM
well, well, well, look what I found...

Eugene Ormandy-the Columbia Legacy
Preis:   204,99 €

Produktinformation
Hersteller : Sony Classical (Sony Music)
Label : Sony Classical (Sony Music)
ASIN : B08QRXT715
Anzahl Disks : 120

Dieser Artikel erscheint am 26. März 2021.

The question is whether it will include his mono Columbia recordings.  That they included his Miaskovsky Symphony No. 21 recording in the Sandor box is a good sign.

André

120 discs. !!!!  :o

That should be all of his Minneapolis and Philadelphia performances for Epic/Columbia/Sony, but probably excluding the RCA and EMI recordings.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on December 30, 2020, 08:38:46 AM
Belated - February 2021 - but seems likely to be one of the best Beethoven anniversary albums. 11 page booklet essay by Honeck explaining his interpretation.

14:32
13:12
12:34
22:30
= 62:48

Honeck's notes indicate he is taking a bold interventionist approach with his own ideas:

"A final moment to consider is the grandiose passage near the end of the first movement which Beethoven has composed as a funeral march [measure 513 or 13:23]. Here, I reduce the tempo and pay particular attention to the wave-like secondary figures in the strings. I ask for a kind of tremolo which adds an almost gruesome, somber effect. I also direct the strings to play ponticello (near the bridge), thus producing an icy and rigid sound."

At the start of the finale, Honeck also attempts to have the cellos and basses "sing" their "narrator" part as if they are actually singing the words which Beethoven wrote on his score underneath the returns of the first three movements' themes, "subordinating the music to the flow of the speech melody, though in many instances, Beethoven does not notate these nuances."

also of interest:

"A great deal of discussion has taken place about the pace of the march (originally meant to be Turkish music) that follows [measure 331 or 9:29], perhaps due to the fact that some sources indicate the metronome marking as 84 for the half beat. But this would be an unbearably slow tempo for a march. Musicologists generally agree that this metronome number likely refers to the whole bar and I likewise concur for several key reasons. Firstly, the theme of joy from measure 92 [2:49] (metronome marking = 80) is in direct relation to the theme of joy of the march in measure 343 [9:37] (metronome marking = 84). Additionally, it is a tempo approximating a French Revolutionary march, which, according to tradition, was always faster than a Prussian march. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the desired expression: the expectation of a happy victory.... Although I am personally cautious about pedantically following the metronome markings, I am grateful that Beethoven has shared these numbers. "

I will have this upon release. I have nothing by this outfit, but have read many generous remarks about them. Anyway, a new 9th: what's not to look forward to?  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

I don't think this has been posted before
Piano music from York Bowen
[Asin]B08LR1MFFL[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Who needs another recording of the Sonata?  Well, I do, that's for sure.

Daverz

The new erato

I have my eyes on this. The previous 2 volumes hva been very fine indeed.

Todd

Todd

In case you missed the Brendel Big Box for his 85th, it is being reissued for his 90th.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 10, 2021, 05:32:37 AM

In case you missed the Brendel Big Box for his 85th, it is being reissued for his 90th.

How many discs, I wonder?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy