New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on January 14, 2021, 10:17:47 PM

Also a new viola da gamba recording:

My first impressions of this are really positive - I generally have a penchant for the new wave of early music interpretation coming out of Japan and this is no exception. Nuanced and expressive playing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on January 14, 2021, 11:15:13 PM
Definitely not new. The cover looks different from the two CDs have. It is worth acquiring.

Yes I listened to the op 110 yesterday, it's just really nice piano playing, well captured. The interpretation was mainstream as far as I could see, but the execution is just fabulous. It's the Schumann there which I remember was outstanding too, I'll try to find some time for it again soon.

Mandryka

More of the same as before, but I have a theory: I think they're getting more adventurous vis-à-vis tuning.  The central number is nearly 20 minutes, En demantant et lanentant. Mercifully they do not sing it with one voice. It is exquisite and worth the price of admission alone, probably the most interesting thing in all their Machaut so far, certainly one of them.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2021, 06:34:24 PMBluebeard's Castle is my favorite piece of music of all-time.

This is definitely news to me, John. Known for a long time you love this work, but didn't realize it was your all-time favourite.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2021, 12:40:15 AM
My first impressions of this are really positive - I generally have a penchant for the new wave of early music interpretation coming out of Japan and this is no exception. Nuanced and expressive playing.

I listened to the Hume on here and have similar positive impressions.
Edit: Listening to the Forqueray on here, played without any accompaniment, and man this is wonderful!

Another recent viol one - interesting music on it.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on January 15, 2021, 09:25:03 AM

Edit: Listening to the Forqueray on here, played without any accompaniment, and man this is wonderful!

All the renaissance and earlier music coming out of Japan is amazing at the moment. Baroque too. They must have some wonderful schools.

Where are you finding out about these new releases?

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2021, 12:22:46 PM

All the renaissance and earlier music coming out of Japan is amazing at the moment. Baroque too. They must have some wonderful schools.

Where are you finding out about these new releases?

I have a subscription to Naxos music library, which showcases new releases on the homepage. Of course this is only limited to labels carried by naxos, and sometimes there will be a delay between release on other platforms and naxos so it is not always reliable.

(Also for Profeti della Quinta I'm a fan of Elam Rotem and earlymusicsources :) )

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 15, 2021, 04:23:26 AM
This is definitely news to me, John. Known for a long time you love this work, but didn't realize it was your all-time favourite.

Yeah, discovering this work has been the highest point in my musical journey. I'm currently in the midst of re-reading a book about its history right now and it's one of those works that has provided an endless stream of inspiration for me.

Brian

I have good hopes for that based on my experience seeing Mälkki live, an incisive and exciting conductor. John, did you wind up trying her first Bartók CD?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 15, 2021, 07:48:57 PM
I have good hopes for that based on my experience seeing Mälkki live, an incisive and exciting conductor. John, did you wind up trying her first Bartók CD?

Yeah, Brian, I bought her recording, but embarrassingly enough, I haven't even listened to it yet. :-\ Did you buy it? Any thoughts on it? I've read good things about her conducting.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2021, 12:01:01 AM

Release Jan 15 according to Amazon, but already streaming on Qobuz and maybe elsewhere.

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on January 14, 2021, 10:17:47 PM
Lovely one, subtle but passionate. I also like the instrumental arrangements of Mille Regretz included in there.

Another one just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snD35t70Bz0

Very interesting!  :)

Mandryka

https://icrdistribution.bandcamp.com/album/the-garden-of-earthly-delights

A comic opera - so you know what to expect from the composer of Red Bird and a title taken from a Bosch painting of hell.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2021, 08:11:10 PM
Yeah, Brian, I bought her recording, but embarrassingly enough, I haven't even listened to it yet. :-\ Did you buy it? Any thoughts on it? I've read good things about her conducting.
Ha! I know the feeling. Streamed the Wooden Prince once when it came out, don't much remember my impression. At least you have a handy resource to help you decide whether you want the Bluebeard recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 16, 2021, 05:31:29 AM
Ha! I know the feeling. Streamed the Wooden Prince once when it came out, don't much remember my impression. At least you have a handy resource to help you decide whether you want the Bluebeard recording.

Very nice, indeed. The only problem is actually finding the recording now as its in storage with the majority of my collection.

MickeyBoy

Quote from: Holden on January 14, 2021, 11:15:13 PM
Definitely not new. The cover looks different from the two CDs have. It is worth acquiring.
Not to be confused with the 10-CD set from Piano Classics, which covers Berlin recordings from 1994-1997.

...the sound of a low whisper

Todd

Patience rewarded.

Warner new stuff and reissues:

Bachmaninoff returns.

On LP!  You can pretend it is 1952 all over again.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

MORCH

Piau album includes Strauss' Four Last Songs

Pretty sure Hadland has recorded the Sinding suite before.

The newly commissioned viola pieces are almost all in the 3-5 minute range and reactions to covid. They range from the despairing ("How many weeks...?" by Gabriel Prokofiev) to the silver-lining-seeking ("Perfect Time for a Spring Cleaning" by John Powell). The booklet contains a photo album where each composer shares their notes on life in lockdown, including a photo of a forest where Hosokawa likes to walk, and a portrait of Jose Serebrier in his bathrobe (  ??? ). Hiyoli Togawa studied with the Artemis Quartet and Antoine Tamestit, and is a German with Japanese and Australian parents.

André

The Daniel Jones disc from Lyrita will be eagerly awaited !

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on January 17, 2021, 04:41:28 PM
The Daniel Jones disc from Lyrita will be eagerly awaited !

Same here!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Includes a Brahms concerto with Fiedler/BSO and four Beethoven sonatas (1, 5, 7, 9) plus Beethoven triple concerto with Pierre Barbizet.