New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 03, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
Conducted by Ernő Rubik

It's a few years later than the Cube but in fact I personally would rather collect the few Orpheus CO recordings I'd be interested in in there original issues because to me they are quintessentially connected with my beginning interest in classical CDs as a teenager in the second half of the 1980s. (Most of the covers are not particularly goofy 80s, though.) The only one I had (or technically it might even have belonged to my mother) was Mozart's clarinet + horn concerti. But I spent hours browsing the glossy DG catalogues back then and the Orpheus CO's recordings featured prominently.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Contents of this box...

...are listed on this page (alphabetically, not in track order).

Mirror Image

Rafael might be interested in this forthcoming release:

Looks like Roth's Strauss series is getting its own box:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

PaulThomas

Lise Davidsen's back!

26/3/2021

Only the Wesendonck lieder from Wagner (10 years before she takes on Isolde, apparently)

listing here

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8875058--lise-davidsen-beethoven-wagner-verdi

Artem

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 05, 2021, 05:39:08 AM
Also forthcoming:

It seems like there's been a lot of recordings of music for guitar by Takemitsu released recently. Not bad, but I'd personally love to hear some fresh recordings of orchestral music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on February 05, 2021, 10:59:57 AM
It seems like there's been a lot of recordings of music for guitar by Takemitsu released recently. Not bad, but I'd personally love to hear some fresh recordings of orchestral music.

Yeah, it does like his solo guitar music is getting more recognition these days, but I'm fine with that. It's not like I can control what is released. I would rather hear more of his chamber music get recorded than the orchestral works (even though I do love many of these works). There's plenty of recordings out there of his solo piano music.

Todd

Images for new releases from high end string players.  Mr Mönkemeyer's appalling choice of footwear shall not deter me from buying.

Works for bassoon and piano.  I'm actually kind of intrigued.

Some serious time and thought were clearly put into these two cover shot setups and selection.  And yet they are meh.

Closer to buy time.

Start of a second complete set?

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on January 29, 2021, 05:45:54 AM
This March, Brilliant is releasing a box set of the complete nine symphonies cycle of one of the least famous composers who wrote nine symphonies... Ecuadorian Luis H. Salgado. The recordings feature Ecuador's own Cuenca Symphony Orchestra.

Very interesting!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mandryka

QuoteThese pieces, which are permeated by ideas, gestures and ornamental modules customarily used by the famous organist, describe a sort of experimentation on the instrument: so they constitute the archaic version of a innovative lexicon that will gradually be enriched, modified and absorbed by his mind, and will reappear, extended, in the subsequent published compositions. From these compositions, which have been buried in oblivion for a long time, what emerges is an image of Frescobaldi that is new and fascinating because it is quite different from what we expect: the music bewitches us with its spontaneousness, its freshness, for the natural quality of its contrapuntal weave, and as an exemplary expression of the "extempore composing" that was so prized by his contemporaries.

Antegnati, Mantova, quarter comma meantone. First impressions very positive indeed.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Everything I've heard from this outfit has been of the highest standard and a pleasure to hear, and dipping into this one for five minutes max suggests strongly that it's no exception - despite the odd apparence of my bête noire - a predictable pulse.

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on February 01, 2021, 08:14:49 AM
MARCH (CONTINUED)

A new version of Korngold's Piano Concerto? Yes, please!

Mandryka

A big drum keeps the pulse . . . not for me.

Mandryka

New manuscript jobby. Seems OK, inoffensive.

Mandryka

Beautiful stuff here - Charles Magraner is the new Jordi! Same work ethic, same polish and knack for popularisation.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2021, 12:38:35 AM

Beautiful stuff here - Charles Magraner is the new Jordi! Same work ethic, same polish and knack for popularisation.

The knack for popularisation is worrying me, I find his recordings uneven and at times annoying, but the same goes for Jordi Savall, who does not shrink away in changing the notes at will. The man has despite his demeanor a ego that is at least at large as his discography. Magraner could be his brother in arms.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2021, 12:16:04 AM

Antegnati, Mantova, quarter comma meantone. First impressions very positive indeed.

I have a few recordings with this organist, which leaves doubt with me, about her musical stance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

prémont

Quote from: "Harry" on February 08, 2021, 12:42:52 AM
I have a few recordings with this organist, which leaves doubt with me, about her musical stance.

In this recording it's of course the  splendid Antegnati 1565 organ in the Palatine Basilica of Santa Barbara in Mantua, which is the primary interest. And it is very well recorded. But also Ivanas contribution is rather satisfying, so I have enjoyed this CD a lot.

Her Bach/Buxtehude CD I find rather uninspiring/uninspired, and other than thatI own her Girolamo Cavazzoni set on the same Antegnati organ, but haven't managed to listen to it yet.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν