New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

I see Alpha has succumbed to the Paavo-on-the-cover rule.

Anyone know what his music is like?

ETA:
Or this guy?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on February 17, 2021, 06:04:45 PM

ETA:
Or this guy?

I don't recall any info about Dubugnon and would also be interested in comments on both these composers. Found this classicstoday review of a Dubugnon release:

"You might argue quite fairly that Dubugnon's music looks backward rather than forward: he is far more indebted to Ravel and Fauré than to any composers writing after 1940. Maybe it's reactionary music, but even so there's no denying its gorgeousness. His basic palette is one of great warmth. Splendid chromaticisms and long, sustained phrases color the Piano Quartet, which was directly inspired by Fauré's own work for the same medium."

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-8873/?search=1

And found this about Dubugnon pieces on a mixed recital for viola and piano:

"Incantatio, a three-movement work spanning fifteen minutes and drawing inspiration from paranormal/psychic rituals (!), is a stylistic odd man out on the CD, more percussive and stubborn than the rest of the music here. It can get, if this isn't a weird word to use, scratchy. It's never hard or less than intriguing, but I don't know that it belongs with Clair de lune, necessarily. On the other hand, Dubugnon's Lied does fit in splendidly, and its six-minute arc really does feel like a worthy successor to the other music here."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Mar13/Pavane_Rysanov_BISSACD1773.htm

.....which, ahem, was written by me 8 years ago  ??? ??? ??? Guess I will dig this disc up tomorrow and listen again!

Edit: looked at the upcoming BIS album for more info on these new works. Chamber Symphony 2 is in an interesting form: chaconne, fugue, chaconne, fugue. The piano concerto also includes a big part for celesta obbligato.

71 dB

Naxos has released a disc of Dubugnon's chamber music. I have it. It's cool stuff, even if Dubugnon hasn't become one of my most favorite contemporary composers.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Roy Bland

Balsys is a soviet mild generation composer.IMHO in Lithuania Dvarionas,Juzeliunas and Vainiunas are more impressive,

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Great art!!

I see Alpha has succumbed to the Paavo-on-the-cover rule.

Daverz

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 17, 2021, 07:17:05 PM
Balsys is a soviet mild generation composer.IMHO in Lithuania Dvarionas,Juzeliunas and Vainiunas are more impressive,

Mild generation?  So not balsy?

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on February 17, 2021, 02:50:08 PM

This is a real niche box set. Except the concerto, the recordings were originally recorded for Marco Polo, and some later reappeared on Naxos. Guess this is the box to have if you are a Thalberghead or an opera fantasy fanatic.

Thanks a lot for posting it. A must have for me. I have only one individual disc, namely this:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: amw on February 17, 2021, 02:52:50 PM
I'm still waiting for a recording of his Piano Sonata. At the time it was favourably compared with Liszt's. I've seen the score and have always wondered why.

My very short review here: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21492.msg1112835.html#msg1112835

I can let you have it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

relm1

Eduardas Balsys (1919-1984) sounds folk influenced and dramatic to me.  Think Epshai or Jānis Ivanovs.  I like it and will probably pick this up.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on February 18, 2021, 05:45:12 AM
Eduardas Balsys (1919-1984) sounds folk influenced and dramatic to me.  Think Epshai or Jānis Ivanovs.  I like it and will probably pick this up.
Eshpai and Ivanovs are good enough for me!

The lyrical Violin Concerto (on You Tube) reminded me of the one by Peterson-Berger.

Too much temptation on this thread!
VW symphonies 4 and 6
Balsys
Miaskovsky Symphony No.27
Robert Simpson etcetc  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Quote from: Daverz on February 17, 2021, 08:23:24 PM
Mild generation?  So not balsy?
Yes i find him derivative and insipid without dramatic force of Ivanovs , Eshpai or Heino Eller .Was  your judgement a pun?

Brian

The 74 CD Grumiaux big box will weigh 15 pounds.

Todd

Pfft.  The Karajan complete set was thirty-five pounds.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

I'd buy a Susan Tomes boxset. Although possibly I already have half the contents.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on February 20, 2021, 10:43:46 AM
Pfft.  The Karajan complete set was thirty-five pounds.

Just imagine how heavy that set would be on vinyl!

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on February 21, 2021, 07:55:01 AM
Just imagine how heavy that set would be on vinyl!

One could do heavy deadlifts without unsightly weight plates lying around.

Todd

Not so much a recording I am interested in, but more of a WTF?  Mahler for chamber orchestra.

Todd

Quote from: jlopes on February 21, 2021, 11:02:30 AM
They already recorded the Ninth (haven't heard):

Perhaps Mr Gale and his band can tackle Havergal Brian at some point.

Brian

Believe it or not there is actually competition, from a much colder part of the world.

In his 1 out of 10 rating, Hurwitz says the Lapland version uses "seven violins, three violas, two cellos, two basses, and a scant handful of winds, percussion and keyboards," concluding, "Mahler's Tenth certainly contains some cold, alienating music in spots, but it's not a cold, alienating symphony. Except in Lapland."