New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Brian on May 21, 2021, 07:33:08 AM

That one would certainly be of interest to me. Thank you.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 20, 2021, 05:47:33 PM
Wow! Would you possibly post your review and opinion later?

It's not high on my priorities to listen carefully in fact. The toccatas are a bit off the menu for me - so much music, so little time!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Brian

Contentious title on this one:

With new premieres of Roland Moser's piece responding to Schubert's Nonet and Moser's arrangement/completion of the slow movement from Schubert's "Tenth".

Symphonic Addict

The Maliszewski and Villa-Lobos look enticing. I'm looking forward to getting them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Forthcoming from CPO:
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Harry

I eagerly await them, especially the Furtwängler. But Lachner is in a series of which I collected all, an amazing composer!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on May 21, 2021, 12:33:52 PM

Contentious title on this one:

There's a track on Spotify to sample, a Byrd Pavan, sweet, sweet and poetic, melancholy of course,  as poetic as any  other Byrd Pavane I've heard on modern piano. The music's full of trills, and it's weird to hear them on a piano, it sound just weird! Maybe in time I'd get used to it. On a harpsichord the trills are like shards of metal, they bring a sort of electricity to the music. On a piano they sound like a pointless thing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2021, 08:10:32 AM
It's not high on my priorities to listen carefully in fact. The toccatas are a bit off the menu for me - so much music, so little time!

Totally reasonable. Since I like Dirksen, I will get the disc. Thank you for the info.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 21, 2021, 07:33:08 AM
More JULY stuff ...

YES!!! These sonatas were in dire need of a new recording as the only really good recording was on Brilliant Classics and that recording was practically ruined by a Nimbus-style reverberance. Definitely will be acquiring this recording once its released.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 21, 2021, 04:23:27 PM
Totally reasonable. Since I like Dirksen, I will get the disc. Thank you for the info.

But this has made it sound amusing

QuotePieter Dirksen has found a new approach to these pieces. He discovered that one of them, the Toccata in f# minor BWV 910, actually forms a tombeau on the death of Bach's mentor Dietrich Buxtehude. What is more, the sequel as a whole seems to depict the nature of the seven planets of the by then already old-fashioned, Ptolemaic planetary order: Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. Bach not only paid a final tribute in these works to an archaic genre (the toccata), an older music tradition as well as to its supreme master, Buxtehude, but at the same time to a world view that was quickly losing ground as the "Enlightenment" of the eighteenth century started spreading its wings. These youthful, exuberant masterpieces can thus be heard from a completely new perspective.

Apparently the Cd contains a paper on this research.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2021, 08:44:16 PM
But this has made it sound amusing

Apparently the Cd contains a paper on this research.

Listened to the recording via streaming. It was a likable performance with a middle of the road interpretation. Nice thick sound of the instrument.

mabuse

An album released a few months ago in digital only:

Bach & Brahms Reimagined
Brahms : Trio in E flat major Op. 40
Bach : Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 & No. 5

James Ehnes - Violin 

Jon Kimura Parker - Piano / Harpsichord 

Jens Lindemann - Flugelhorn / Piccolo Trumpet
Soloists of L'Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal and The National Arts Centre Orchestra
Recorded at the Schulich School of Music at McGill University June 3-4, 2019 Montreal
(Riverdale Classics, 2020)

:)  https://trumpetjens.bandcamp.com/album/bach-brahms-reimagined-2

André

Wow! Very interesting concept (fine review by Eric Friesen). I wish they'd make it available on cd...

Brian

Looking like the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra big box is being delayed from June or July until late August. Thought I could have it on my birthday wishlist!

kyjo

Some really enticing stuff there, Brian and Cesar!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

I've posted this before, and there was some banter about the punning in the ensemble's name, but I have just opened the booklet and it contains a remarkable little statement which I have never seen in any classical CD booklet ever before. Is this a common thing in Australian CDs? Do other nations' discs have this?

Acknowledgement of Country
Van Diemen's Band acknowledges, with deep respect, the Traditional Owners of the land lutruwita (Tasmania) on which we had the privilege to record this music.

For the muwinina people, nipaluna (Hobart), at the base of kunanyi (Mount Wellington) is their country. The muwinina people knew this place, and cared for their land, their seas and their waterways. They lived on the land, and are part of the land. Their songlines trace back millennia, and their music and culture flows through the beautiful bushland, beaches, rivers and the mountain streams of this island. We deeply respect and acknowledge that theirs is the oldest continuing musical culture in history.

We acknowledge the impacts of colonisation, and we stand for truth and recognition of the devastating consequences of invasion on the palawa people of lutruwita and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island communities. We pay respect to the Elders, past and present and all Traditional Owners of these lands, and strive to fight for Aboriginal justice, rights and truth, to help pave the way towards a stronger future.

Mandryka

Mandryka