New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: GioCar on June 05, 2021, 10:23:23 PM

Listening to right now, on Qobuz.

Schiff really brings new life to these old warhorses. He plays a Blüthner grand piano c.1859 and conducts the orchestra.

I'll be buying that. I normally don't like PI in Brahms, but the extracts on Presto sound hugely enticing. The slow mov from no 2 in particular seems revelatory - tempo, balances, playing are striking.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 06, 2021, 09:42:40 AM
Thank you for the organ info, did not know that. I absolutely love late 19th century salon piano - adore Moszkowski, Paderewski, that whole genre - but the Grand Piano label traversal of Saint-Saens piano stuff was very boxed in acoustically and as a result rather colorless. Might have a look at the Vox box.
Very interesting. Wonder if it's like September or October. Ask for it for Christmas  ;D

Then you definitely will want the Naxos set of Thalberg I just finished (it's a re-issue of 5 CDs from the 1990s).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 06, 2021, 08:14:21 AM
Not something I ever thought I'd say less than 8 months ago but....

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh  8)

Yes, indeed. I'm rather surprised by this set, but it is the 100th Anniversary of the composer's passing, so I'm glad one of the major labels stepped up to the plate. Let's just hope they'll knock this one out of the park! :)

MusicTurner

Quote from: JBS on June 06, 2021, 07:55:38 AM
"Complete Solo Organ Works" is in truth only half of his organ music.

(...)

Nice, but yet another ~creative Arte Nova cover - the Dunnottar castle ruins, in Scotland, whatever the reason ... I checked, and apparently Victor Hugo for example isn't associated with it.

Brian

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 07, 2021, 05:47:07 AM
Nice, but yet another ~creative Arte Nova cover - the Dunnottar castle ruins, in Scotland, whatever the reason ... I checked, and apparently Victor Hugo for example isn't associated with it.
They probably thought "organ music - it's kind of Gothic - let's find a cool picture of a castle."

MusicTurner

steve ridgway

Quote from: Brian on June 07, 2021, 06:34:43 AM
They probably thought "organ music - it's kind of Gothic - let's find a cool picture of a castle."

It'd be so cold there the organ pipes would be dust in minutes. ::)

Mirror Image

For those that missed Roth's Stravinsky the first-time around:

Mirror Image

Upcoming:

Looks like an interesting program: Janáček, Szymanowski and Ravel.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2021, 01:22:53 PM
For those that missed Roth's Stravinsky the first-time around:

Hmm. Could be interesting.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 10, 2021, 04:47:14 AM
Hmm. Could be interesting.

Yeah, from what I recall, the performances were quite good --- they have that PI sound, which worked particularly well in The Firebird.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2021, 09:13:09 PM

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68333

Yes, that caught my eye as well.  :) 

At 55 minutes not very generous playing time though...   ::)

Was that really all the music this kind of creepy looking king of Scots listened to?  8)

Brian

Heads up, members of the Schnittklub:

CDs 13-19 look pretty cool.

Plus, Deutsche Grammophon is assembling many of the biggest stars in their catalogue for a collection of.......

.....yes, you guessed it.....

.....Korean soap opera soundtracks!!!!!

Google Translate rendering of the Amazon.de German:

On par with K-Pop, K-Drama has also become a successful hype. Crime, romantic comedy and historical drama - subtitled Korean TV series captivates a global audience on streaming services. Their success lies in their music.
With Shades Of Love, some of the most famous K-Drama soundtracks have now been recorded. On July 9th, the East-West album will be released by Deutsche Grammophon, available as a digital download and on Pure Audio Blu-ray in Dolby Atmos® for a unique immersive listening experience.
Two connoisseurs of Korean culture made it happen: the German composer Marco Hertenstein and the Swiss flautist Philipp Jundt. Hertenstein has written breathtaking orchestral versions of 15 titles from series such as Crash Landing On You, Moon Embracing The Sun, Mr. Sunshine and Reply 1988 and also composed two brand new Korean-inspired pieces: Shades Of Love - Red and Shades Of Love - Blue.
The music will be performed by the Zurich Chamber Orchestra under the direction of David Philip Hefti. Soloists are Philipp Jundt, Sir James and Lady Jeanne Galway (flute), Daniel Hope (violin), Albrecht Mayer (oboe), Richard Yongjae O'Neill (viola) and Sebastian Knauer (piano).

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 12:37:23 PM
Heads up, members of the Schnittklub:

CDs 13-19 look pretty cool.

Hmm, all of these look excellent, but I already have the Bruckner in a previous guise, but I love it. As for the Barbirolli Mahler, I have all but the 1st so I probably won't be getting this, but it is great to see these recordings in one box. I don't know much about Barenboim; when was this cycle of the sonatas recorded? I understand he's done three or four of by them now.

Brian

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 10, 2021, 01:54:18 PMI don't know much about Barenboim; when was this cycle of the sonatas recorded? I understand he's done three or four of by them now.
This is a reissue of the very first one, from the 1960s. I think he's up to four piano sonata cycles now, with two of the four from after 2000.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 02:01:20 PM
This is a reissue of the very first one, from the 1960s. I think he's up to four piano sonata cycles now, with two of the four from after 2000.

Interesting, I'm more interested in his earlier work. May have to check this out.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 02:01:20 PM

The concertos in this new set seem to be otherwise available only in this supercomplete set (which has the same 1960s sonatas).  They aren't the Klemperer conducted cycle that was EMI standard re-issue fodder.
[Asin]B01LVXBI4M[/asin]

JBS

Amazon lists this with a release date of July 2.

Que

Quote from: JBS on June 10, 2021, 06:37:15 PM
Amazon lists this with a release date of July 2.

Check!  :) Good thing I caught up with the violin concertos again.... ready for nr. IX...