New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2021, 05:54:21 AM
Here it is.  ;D

Given that my favourite bits of the Ring cycle were almost entirely where no-one was singing, I'm interested.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Lovely playing here and the music's not half bad either - serious music. I like this side of digital music -- I guess he's a talented gamba student who's excited enough about this sonata to make the release happen, and it is an asset. On spotify, and worth trying even if you don't normally listen to Telemann

http://faithful.a415music.com.au/?fbclid=IwAR1cAtVOeW_mYod8smAAv3SaFegAgXelDGLq9etJmYkB9WW-oyqaatkl8jQ

Mandryka

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mandryka on July 24, 2021, 03:47:53 AM

Lovely playing here and the music's not half bad either - serious music. I like this side of digital music -- I guess he's a talented gamba student who's excited enough about this sonata to make the release happen, and it is an asset. On spotify, and worth trying even if you don't normally listen to Telemann

http://faithful.a415music.com.au/?fbclid=IwAR1cAtVOeW_mYod8smAAv3SaFegAgXelDGLq9etJmYkB9WW-oyqaatkl8jQ

Listening on Spotify now. It's worth mentioning, I think, that this is really just what used to be called an EP: only 14 and a half minutes of music.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mandryka

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 28, 2021, 06:12:35 PM
Listening on Spotify now. It's worth mentioning, I think, that this is really just what used to be called an EP: only 14 and a half minutes of music.

Yes, there are a lot of them in early music. Again I think it's a very positive thing.

Mandryka

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on July 28, 2021, 11:25:51 PM
Interesting!  :)

The only Odhecaton I've heard is their Compère mass, it is very opulent and not as blended and uniform as groups like Cinquecento, and I can imagine that style will be interesting in Josquin.

Have you heard the new Cinquecento Agricola yet?

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on July 28, 2021, 11:39:56 PM
The only Odhecaton I've heard is their Compère mass, it is very opulent and not as blended and uniform as groups like Cinquecento, and I can imagine that style will be interesting in Josquin.

It's a very good ensemble, but they never do OVPP.

QuoteHave you heard the new Cinquecento Agricola yet?

Nope... The issue with Hyperion is, that it's not on Spotify. Perhaps a wise decision on their part...  :D

amw

Hyperion is possibly the single most pirated classical music label I've come across, with new releases (including high-definition formats) commonly being shared on torrent sites within weeks of release. I assume they must still be making enough money to offset that (I for one will buy Hyperion CDs I'm interested when cash is available, or ask my local library to buy them when it's not—apart from ethics, also don't generally trust any digital files being shared online), but I do wonder if they would see less piracy if their content was available for streaming.

Madiel

Quote from: amw on July 29, 2021, 06:17:37 AM
Hyperion is possibly the single most pirated classical music label I've come across, with new releases (including high-definition formats) commonly being shared on torrent sites within weeks of release. I assume they must still be making enough money to offset that (I for one will buy Hyperion CDs I'm interested when cash is available, or ask my local library to buy them when it's not—apart from ethics, also don't generally trust any digital files being shared online), but I do wonder if they would see less piracy if their content was available for streaming.

Quite possibly, though it's not as if they don't offer a download format if that's what people want.

Many years ago they concluded that the tiny amounts of money they'd get from streaming on Spotify and the like wasn't worth it. I did suggest to them that they might want to reconsider with the newer classical-specific services (Idagio and Primephonic) because these have a different payment model that is deliberately more suitable for classical, but I didn't get any kind of response.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

I didn't actually know that people still pirated music.  It seems silly.  Even if you're hard up enough on cash to forget your moral compass, it is very simple to legally stream music for free.  Most services have a free plan.  There is also tons of music on youtube. 

And since Hyperion sells digital downloads at a great price, pirating their catalog seems even worse.

T. D.

Quote from: amw on July 29, 2021, 06:17:37 AM

Off-topic, but I've always been puzzled by Hyperion's close relationship with Berkshire Record Outlet. BRO currently has 1,205 Hyperion items in inventory, many new releases and most discs offered at $8.99, a big discount to MSRP. I've bought lots over the years, but never understood why Hyperion does this.

Brian

Quote from: T. D. on July 29, 2021, 01:09:56 PM
Off-topic, but I've always been puzzled by Hyperion's close relationship with Berkshire Record Outlet. BRO currently has 1,205 Hyperion items in inventory, many new releases and most discs offered at $8.99, a big discount to MSRP. I've bought lots over the years, but never understood why Hyperion does this.
Do they ever have notches cut out of the side to indicate remainders/excess inventory? Thanks for the tip though. I should be buying my Hyperion from them, perhaps.

staxomega

I'll download Hyperion titles to sample them as that is the only way to hear them, I delete anything I'm not going to buy. At this point with how much I have I just don't want to make blind purchases and add to the further clutter if it turns out to be something I don't like. I think I've literally found maybe one or two people (including reviewers) I consistently agree with on performances, just not good odds to be making blind purchases on. Only exception is for box sets where I won't sample all the performances, just see how much of it is worth listening to for the amount of music there is/music I won't end up listening to.

Quote from: T. D. on July 29, 2021, 01:09:56 PM

I've wondered this as well, I had assumed it was retailers over ordering on certain titles then just dumping it off to BRO, instead of a direct Hyperion-BRO relationship.

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on July 29, 2021, 02:08:02 PM
Do they ever have notches cut out of the side to indicate remainders/excess inventory? Thanks for the tip though. I should be buying my Hyperion from them, perhaps.

I don't believe BRO's Hyperions generally have cutout notches. But I'm not 100% certain, because I transferred that portion of my CD collection to "space-saving (former Jazz Loft) sleeves" over the past year and the jewel boxes are gone. A goodly percentage of my Renaissance Polyphony collection came from Berkshire, Hyperions a large share of that.

The absence of notches and abundance of inventory led me to assume that Hyperion has some kind of relationship or agreement with BRO, but I could be wrong.

Alek Hidell

Hyperion may come around to streaming eventually. ECM resisted for a long time too, but now their titles are available at least on Spotify (the only streaming service I use).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 29, 2021, 06:31:33 PM
Hyperion may come around to streaming eventually. ECM resisted for a long time too, but now their titles are available at least on Spotify (the only streaming service I use).

ECM is also on Qobuz.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2021, 06:42:51 PM
ECM is also on Qobuz.

Good to know. Thanks, John. I haven't used them or bought anything from them but I keep considering it.