New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Question about the Philadelphia/Nezet-Seguin recording of Florence Price symphonies--was it released as a physical CD or only via downloading?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

The new erato

It"s beeb promoted as download only on prestomusics site at least.

Ras

Just released - Jeremy Denk playing Mozart's piano concertos number 20 and 25 and a Rondo.

[asin]B09597KSL5[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Ras

Quote from: Mandryka on September 27, 2021, 06:50:51 AM

I know John Dowland, but I didn't know he had a son  - Robert Dowland - who was also a composer:

For others "in the unknow" - quote from Wikipedia:
>>Robert Dowland (c. 1591 – 1641) was an English lutenist and composer. He was the son of the lutenist and composer John Dowland. Throughout his lifetime he wrote almost 90 lute songs[citation needed] and other pieces written for the lute.<<<
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Mandryka

Quote from: Ras on September 30, 2021, 02:46:38 AM
I know John Dowland, but I didn't know he had a son  - Robert Dowland - who was also a composer:

For others "in the unknow" - quote from Wikipedia:
>>Robert Dowland (c. 1591 – 1641) was an English lutenist and composer. He was the son of the lutenist and composer John Dowland. Throughout his lifetime he wrote almost 90 lute songs[citation needed] and other pieces written for the lute.<<<

I'm afraid the songs don't seem to me quite as interesting to hear as his dad's.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on July 09, 2021, 01:00:34 AM
Harpsichord, closely recorded. I just came back to say that I'd been listening to it and to Glen Wilson. They are like night and day - Glen Wilson makes psychologically profound nocturnes of them, Bogner makes them into virtuoso improvised fantasias. The recording quality may have something to do with it, for me Wilson is too distant and reverberative and Bogner is too close and bright. I can't win!

The experience of comparing has made me appreciate the Wilson a lot - despite the sound problems.

Enjoying this much more now, I was obviously in a bad mood in July.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 30, 2021, 11:23:20 AM
Enjoying this much more now, I was obviously in a bad mood in July.

I probably would have ordered it sooner or later (L.Couperin / Bogner), but then I have done it now - together with Gorini's AoF.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

From quick sampling I'm gravitating more toward the Viccardi

prémont

Quote from: Selig on October 01, 2021, 01:46:14 AM

From quick sampling I'm gravitating more toward the Viccardi

I don't know these recordings (yet), but I know Nordstoga's earlier recording for Afontibus (released 2007) on the organ of the cathedral in Oslo (which incidentally also includes BWV 582 and 542), and I know also Viccardi's other Orgelbüchlein recording for Fugatto. How do the new (?) recordings compare to these? Any chance, that the Nordstoga Orgelbüchlein recordings are identical?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 30, 2021, 12:43:22 PM

together with Gorini's AoF.

They mostly all get louder towards the end, obvs.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 01, 2021, 05:21:24 AM
Any chance, that the Nordstoga Orgelbüchlein recordings are identical?

Nope

The new erato

It's a brand new recording.

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 01, 2021, 05:21:24 AM
I don't know these recordings (yet), but I know Nordstoga's earlier recording for Afontibus (released 2007) on the organ of the cathedral in Oslo (which incidentally also includes BWV 582 and 542), and I know also Viccardi's other Orgelbüchlein recording for Fugatto. How do the new (?) recordings compare to these? Any chance, that the Nordstoga Orgelbüchlein recordings are identical?

Even if not identical they seem interpretively similar from the little I heard*.

Unfortunately in the passacaglia he still does the slow tedious build-up  ::)

Can't listen to the "old" Viccardi, but looks like it was made only a few years ago? If so a new one might be inessential.

*I tried a couple of pieces at random—I'm curious if there are any specific pieces you guys use to test drive new Orgelbüchlein recordings?

Brian

Coming soon: new HIP Schubert cycle from L'Orfeo Baroque and Michi Gaigg on CPO and a new recording of Frank Bridge's cello concerto Oration on Naxos (Gabriel Schwabé).

Also a couple reissues of interest:

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on October 01, 2021, 07:51:40 AM
Even if not identical they seem interpretively similar from the little I heard*.

*I tried a couple of pieces at random—I'm curious if there are any specific pieces you guys use to test drive new Orgelbüchlein recordings?

Yes you're right for 599 and 600, 611 is the first one I found with a major difference. Then I stopped because I'm enjoying Obrecht this afternoon more than Bach!   One thing which surprised me with the two Nordstogas is the sound difference.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 01, 2021, 06:51:52 AM
They mostly all get louder towards the end, obvs.

Yes, this is the plague of the piano versions.  ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Selig on October 01, 2021, 07:51:40 AM

Can't listen to the "old" Viccardi, but looks like it was made only a few years ago? If so a new one might be inessential.

Thanks. I shall acquire the new Nordstoga all the same, if nothing else for the sake of the Haarlem organ.

I am not particularly taken by the "old" Viccardi Orgelbüchlein and this goes for the other five volumes  at Fugatto as well. It seems as if the series were cut short some time ago. Is it possible that Da Vinci Claccics plans a new and complete Viccardi set?

Ad Orgelbüchlein: I don't think it is possible to judge a recording until I have heard all of it. The chorales are too different.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

André

And this, too (surprised it didn't happen before): an album titled ta-ta-ta-taaa  ::) with 12 performances of Beethoven's symphony V:1 and a complete new performance.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-der-1-satz-der-symphonie-nr-5-in-13-verschiedenen-interpretationen-ta-ta-ta-taaa/hnum/10450344