Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 2268469 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: New Releases
« Reply #12460 on: October 17, 2021, 06:48:51 AM »
Actually Lisiecki's Nocturnes are a really good example of somebody successfully being different from the rest, I just think that, ironically for being so different, it's really boring  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12461 on: October 17, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »
This is a really stimulating discussion (at least to me; Florestan clearly thinks it's crazy).

Why should Florestan, who according to you clearly knows the distinction between crazy and normal, let itself involved in such a discussion? He must be crazy himself ;D --- unless this were a really stimulating discussion for himself as well....

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12462 on: October 17, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
Actually Lisiecki's Nocturnes are a really good example of somebody successfully being different from the rest, I just think that, ironically for being so different, it's really boring  ;D ;D ;D

Boring for who?
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12463 on: October 17, 2021, 07:03:54 AM »
Boring for who?
Hint: look at the phrase "I think it is"

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #12464 on: October 17, 2021, 07:04:29 AM »
why they were not putting their money where their mouth is?

The idiom was misused.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12465 on: October 17, 2021, 07:12:01 AM »
FYI, it may be a language barrier thing, but the question here does come off a bit hostile. It reads like you are defending those artists by going on the attack.

Well, I am defending those artists, possibly a bit hostile.

It's not that much a language barrier thing, but a cultural barrier thing. I mean, we Romanians have a proverb: whomever cant reach the grapes, claims they are sour. Like, amw (a confessedly unprofessional pianist) complaining about this or that professional pianist being dead wrong on their interpretation of Chopin's music. No offense meant but I'd take, say, the first name coming to my kind, Maria Joao Pires's Nocturnes over amw's any day or midnight.

(FWIW, I did once sketch out what I'd want to do if I were a pianist and if I got to the level of a recording career. My debut album would include two rarities I really love a lot and suffer from a lack of recording choices - A. Tcherepnin's Etudes Op 18 and excerpted preludes from Kabelac Op 30 - along with two mainstream works where I have really unusual/bizarre ideas for how they should be played, and which no existing recording gets the way that the works go in my head - Chopin's Barcarolle and Schumann's Fantasie. I'd hope to be recognized for personality both on the choices of rarities and the clearly well outside mainstream interpretive choices in the famous stuff.)

Splendid! I for one would get your debut recording instantly --- if only because any new recording featuring Chopin or Schumann is of interest to me.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #12466 on: October 17, 2021, 07:20:42 AM »
The poster was obviously provoked by an entry.

I didn't intend to be provocative, but just wondered about the purpose of using a piano, which is a hundred years old. One doesn't get closer to the baroque sound world for that reason.

As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #12467 on: October 17, 2021, 07:30:46 AM »
Moderator: please transfer this discussion to a more appropriate thread - I mean, this still is "New Releases", right? Thank you.

Just block all of us, and then you will only see your posts, which are all listing new releases or telling the world you blocked someone. You can also add me to the list.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12468 on: October 17, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »
A peculiar comment.

+ 1.

I cannot relate that particular/peculiar comment to any post in this thread. Unless educated, articulated and civil expression of one's mind is to be put on one's ignore list.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 07:33:03 AM by Florestan »

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #12469 on: October 17, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »
+ 1.

I cannot relate this particular/peculiar comment to any post in this thread. Unless educated, articulated and civil expression of one's mind is to be put on one's ignore list.

+ 2

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #12470 on: October 17, 2021, 07:36:41 AM »
Just block all of us, and then you will only see your posts, which are all listing new releases or telling the world you blocked someone. You can also add me to the list.

+1 If someone wants to put me on their ignore list, that's fine by me! Immaturity is always a prerequisite for joining a forum it seems these days.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12471 on: October 17, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
Immaturity is always a prerequisite for joining leaving a forum it seems these days.

FTFY.  :D

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #12472 on: October 17, 2021, 07:39:49 AM »
FTFY.  :D

Best example of immature behaviour was the Moeran biographer who took his ball ⚽ and went home because people dared asked questions.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12473 on: October 17, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
Wow, I missed the Moeran biographer, that sounds fun. Is Moeran really that controversial??

It's not that much a language barrier thing, but a cultural barrier thing. I mean, we Romanians have a proverb: whomever cant reach the grapes, claims they are sour. Like, amw (a confessedly unprofessional pianist) complaining about this or that professional pianist being dead wrong on their interpretation of Chopin's music. No offense meant but I'd take, say, the first name coming to my kind, Maria Joao Pires's Nocturnes over amw's any day or midnight.
As a writer about restaurants who has never owned a restaurant, I have a professional interest in not adopting this attitude!

(But seriously, there are other approaches to music besides the artist's; the historian's, the musicologist's, the listener's, the critic's, etc. If you are not interested in a non-performer's view of how music should be played, that is fine, it just leaves us with much less to talk about.)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12474 on: October 17, 2021, 07:44:43 AM »
Best example of immature behaviour was the Moeran biographer who took his ball ⚽ and went home because people dared asked questions.

Well, there's a Romanian saying in this respect: if you don't go my way, I'll take all my toys and go home!  :D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12475 on: October 17, 2021, 07:51:12 AM »
there are other approaches to music besides the artist's; the historian's, the musicologist's, the listener's, the critic's,

You nominated the only five categories that to the very best of my knowledge are, or might be, relevantly interested in how "good music" GMG-style is approached. Please let me/us know what other aproaches to this kind of music are. TIA.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12476 on: October 17, 2021, 07:57:00 AM »
a writer about restaurants who has never owned a restaurant

Hah!  ;D

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #12477 on: October 17, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
I wanted to get excited about this release, but I can't. While I love both of these works, neither of them need another recording, IMHO.

It’s better than yet another Beethoven/Brahms/Bruckner/Mahler recording, at least!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #12478 on: October 17, 2021, 08:47:25 AM »
Hint: look at the phrase "I think it is"

Well, yes, agreed --- but we're going in circles.  :D

Imho, there is no right or wrong performance, let alone right or wrong instrument. As for "the composer's intention(s)", they are written on the other side of the moon --- nobody, not even the composer(s) themselves have any strict and fixed idea(s) about what they are and how they should sound. And anyway., a work of art once made public acquires a life of its own, independent of what the original intentions of its author were. The audience is sovereign.

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #12479 on: October 17, 2021, 09:02:56 AM »
And anyway., a work of art once made public acquires a life of its own, independent of what the original intentions of its author were. The audience is sovereign.

That pretty much dismisses the entire period instrument and period performance cult in one fell swoop.

And I approve this message!  :D