New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Back to new releases... I might be interested in Naxos starting a series of Brahms songs.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

premont

Quote from: jlopes on October 17, 2021, 12:22:07 PM

.. and of course our recent, rude and unnecessary "anachronistic all the same"..

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 17, 2021, 07:20:42 AM
I didn't intend to be provocative, but just wondered about the purpose of using a piano, which is a hundred years old. One doesn't get closer to the baroque sound world for that reason.

In summary: So far she [Mejoueva] wants to play the French suites on piano, I don't understand, why a modern piano wasn't used instead.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

Trifonov gives an impressive performance of the Brahms Chaconne in his brand new release.
It will be interesting to see what another pianist can make of it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

mabuse

The transcription by Brahms is magnificent and it is a pity that the pianists especially want to play the one by Busoni.

I did not hear Trifonov ...
I remain devoted to Anna Vinnitskaya:

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

Yes! I'll definitely be buying this one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 17, 2021, 08:33:27 AM
It's better than yet another Beethoven/Brahms/Bruckner/Mahler recording, at least!

QFT, Kyle. 8)

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 17, 2021, 03:39:50 PM
In summary: So far she [Mejoueva] wants to play the French suites on piano, I don't understand, why a modern piano wasn't used instead.

She always uses it, she travels around to give concerts with it, presumably it's her piano and she likes it. I like it in fact, it's a very good piano indeed.

She's got a big following in Japan. I have heard some of her Bach - inventions. It is strong confident playing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Bach on a modern chamber organ and viol. Intimate performances and the first track - a prelude - seems quite sympathetic actually. Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/85/000144358.pdf

Romina Lischka is someone I have heard before, in Demachy and Ferabosco. I don't know if this Marnix de Cat is the ubiquitous singer of the same name.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on October 17, 2021, 09:05:48 PM

Bach on a modern chamber organ and viol. Intimate performances and the first track - a prelude - seems quite sympathetic actually. Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/85/000144358.pdf

Romina Lischka is someone I have heard before, in Demachy and Ferabosco. I don't know if this Marnix de Cat is the ubiquitous singer of the same name.

I saw this too, not a modern chamber organ but a real church organ!

Artem

Quote from: Mandryka on October 17, 2021, 01:06:29 AM
This sounds very good indeed. And I think it's a nice piece of music. You can hear it on bandcamp.
On the strengths of her version of Triadic Memories, I'd consider purchasing her new Feldman recording. Not that there're so many new recordings of Feldman's music, that one has to make decisions.

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 17, 2021, 03:39:50 PM

It's odd, but those earlier Steinways do sound pretty.  :)

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 17, 2021, 08:49:43 PM
She always uses it, she travels around to give concerts with it, presumably it's her piano and she likes it. I like it in fact, it's a very good piano indeed.

She's got a big following in Japan. I have heard some of her Bach - inventions. It is strong confident playing.

Thanks, this explains a lot.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 17, 2021, 09:05:48 PM
I don't know if this Marnix de Cat is the ubiquitous singer of the same name.

It is him. He is a trained organist too:

https://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/De-Cat-Marnix.htm
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on October 17, 2021, 03:07:25 PM
What exactly, then, do you think the point of a score is?

To give headaches to performers.  :D

Seriously now, I think a score is supposed to represent what the composer had in mind and how they wanted the music to sound --- one might say "the composer's intentions". But the fact that there are recorded instances of composers departing from their own scores when performing their own music shows that the score is actually an approximation of those intentions and not the intentions themselves.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

MusicTurner

Another aspect is that say Stravinsky's recordings of his own works vary very considerably, depending on when they were done, chronologically. We don't have many published, recorded cases like that (Richard Strauss also comes to mind. I'm less sure about Boulez), but it's surely a tendency among many, more or less 'passive' performers as well, including HIP people.

Mandryka

Quote from: Madiel on October 17, 2021, 03:07:25 PM
What exactly, then, do you think the point of a score is?

The point of a score is to inspire performers to make music.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: jlopes on October 17, 2021, 03:54:31 AM
November.

This one looks particularly interesting to me.  I hadn't heard of Camerata Zürich before and was intrigued by the idea of a non-piano version of On an Overgrown Path.  I found a sample of them playing it here.  Quite interesting!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnbCrIjh0wo

PD

Brian

Quote from: jlopes on October 13, 2021, 04:59:14 PM
January from Hyperion:

Just realized - Hamelin's CPE Bach is a double album!