New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on October 17, 2021, 10:35:11 PM
On the strengths of her version of Triadic Memories, I'd consider purchasing her new Feldman recording. Not that there're so many new recordings of Feldman's music, that one has to make decisions.

I've heard the whole thing via the free bandcamp stream, and of course it's a good experience. Such strange music - in the past I've heard 2 with Tilbury and that Irish violinist whose name starts with a D, one with Zukofsky and a pianist, one with Mark Knoop and someone. And I've never heard any of them twice.

As you can see long form Feldman eradicates memory.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 11:13:16 AM
Hah! I am acquainted with Iain.
How cool. I've enjoyed his Haydn and CPE Bach discs. It looks like (those famous names aside) he is an adventurous explorer of repertoire.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2021, 11:15:30 AM
How cool. I've enjoyed his Haydn and CPE Bach discs. It looks like (those famous names aside) he is an adventurous explorer of repertoire.

We met at an organ recital (he was not the performer) in Trinity Church on Copley Square. I feel sure I sent him my Organ Sonata ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on October 18, 2021, 02:05:55 AM
To give headaches to performers.  :D

Seriously now, I think a score is supposed to represent what the composer had in mind and how they wanted the music to sound --- one might say "the composer's intentions". But the fact that there are recorded instances of composers departing from their own scores when performing their own music shows that the score is actually an approximation of those intentions and not the intentions themselves.

Agreed. A score is inevitably an approximation.

The problem is, for most composers the score is the one thing that we have. Unless you create some sort of conceptual divide once you get the age of recorded music.

You then have to, for early recordings, take into account some of the limitations of the medium. A composer might well have played a piece at a fast piano in order to fit it on a side of an LP for example.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on October 18, 2021, 03:04:57 AM
The point of a score is to inspire performers to make music.

Ah well, I've seen soundtrack albums that say "music from and inspired by the film", which is code for "you didn't hear a lot of these songs in the film".

When classical performers start saying how they've been inspired by Beethoven , then I think they'll be entitled to take more liberties than when they tell us they are performing music composed by Beethoven.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

The Ukrainian Piano Quintes, Portuguese Music for Strings, the Aho and Petridis caught my attention. Naxos rarely disappoints with their new releases. The same goes for CPO, Chandos and BIS.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

I'll be getting the Ukrainian piano quintets some time, for sure. None are in my collection.

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 19, 2021, 11:22:35 PM
Friedhelm Flamme Buxtehude Vol 2. now out:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lI8cE2xUsWbbyTN8iOFqRAEC75Jf6gacw

It is already on it's way to me along with vol.1. I have hesitated a bit, because I don't think Flamme always hits the spirit of stylus phantasticus. And the Treutmann organ may not be the most obvious choice for Buxtehude.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

Some great-looking stuff there!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

milk

I'm more open-minded about stuff like this this these days. I like when the piano plays the bass over the other parts. Then there's a strange clarity in that part of the counterpoint. It's interesting at least.

Mirror Image

Upcoming:

Looks like a great program, but why does every album that is released now have to have some kind of stupid title? What can't this be titled Bartók/Ligeti/Dutilleux String Quartets? Is that too simplistic? Too generic? It's better than Not All Cats Are Grey. That's for damn sure!

Todd

Who hasn't been clamoring for this box?

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

How the heck is a John Williams Boston Pops box coming out before an Arthur Fiedler Boston Pops box?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 23, 2021, 07:05:18 AM
How the heck is a John Williams Boston Pops box coming out before an Arthur Fiedler Boston Pops box?

Maybe because John Williams sells?

DaveF

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2021, 06:46:16 AM
Upcoming:

Looks like a great program, but why does every album that is released now have to have some kind of stupid title? What can't this be titled Bartók/Ligeti/Dutilleux String Quartets? Is that too simplistic? Too generic? It's better than Not All Cats Are Grey. That's for damn sure!

3 pieces on the disc, Métamorphoses nocturnes, Ainsi la nuit and Bartók's completely un-nocturnal 2nd quartet.  Hence... but I'm sure you'd worked it out anyway.  God help us :'(
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky