The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

New Releases

<< < (2507/2611) > >>

Brian:

--- Quote from: amw on October 23, 2021, 03:43:05 PM ---The saying in question ("All cats are grey in the dark") has always bothered me because whoever came up with it has clearly never seen a cat in the dark. You can still pretty easily tell what colour they are. I know it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I've never metaphor that I've liked.

--- End quote ---
Oh, the version my college roommate used was "all cats look the same in the dark." Your version makes much more sense.
Edit: and googling I see "your" version goes back to the 1500s, wow.

Now, the specific use to which he put the metaphor, that was something I had never liked!

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Artem on October 23, 2021, 12:36:39 PM ---Maybe there's a hidden bonus track of Ligeti's lost 3rd string quartet titled Not All Cats Are Grey?

--- End quote ---

Or maybe it's just a dumb title.

amw:

Keiko Shichijo fp, Cecilia Bernardini vn, Marcus van den Munckhof vc. This recording uses a c.1825 Böhm piano and the uncut version of the Schubert with exposition repeat in the finale.

I obviously am not going to be able to resist a pairing of my two favourite piano trios.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: amw on October 23, 2021, 03:43:05 PM ---The saying in question ("All cats are grey in the dark") has always bothered me because whoever came up with it has clearly never seen a cat in the dark. You can still pretty easily tell what colour they are. I know it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I've never metaphor that I've liked.

--- End quote ---

I thought the expression was la nuit tous les chats sont gris. I’ve never heard it in English in fact, maybe British people don’t say it.

Brian:
That HIP trio disc really really caught my eye for all the reasons you mention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version