New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 07:56:28 AM

The interesting thing for me here is the Ritter, whose music I've never heard before apart from one piece played on a pedal clavichord. I think Youann is a totally OK harpsichord player, and the sound is pretty OK too.

This CD contains the only surviving keyboard works by Ritter, a sonata and a sonatina. The sonatina is despite the title a short toccata and is often performed on the organ. I wonder if it was this work you heard played on pedal clavichord. Do you recall the name of the performer? BTW I ordered the Youann CD a week ago and hope to receive it soon.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 25, 2021, 09:38:15 AM
This CD contains the only surviving keyboard works by Ritter, a sonata and a sonatina. The sonatina is despite the title a short toccata and is often performed on the organ. I wonder if it was this work you heard played on pedal clavichord. Do you recall the name of the performer? BTW I ordered the Youann CD a week ago and hope to receive it soon.

The pedal clavichord recording is by Erik van Bruggen. But I forgot that there's a beautiful clavichord recording of the sonata by Leonhardt no less.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 09:56:30 AM
The pedal clavichord recording is by Erik van Bruggen. But I forgot that there's a beautiful clavichord recording of the sonata by Leonhardt no less.

By mistake I wrote "sonata" instead of suite. The Yoann Moulin recording contains the sonatina d-minor (usually performed on organ and BTW also recorded by Leonhardt on the Schnitger/Norden) and the suite c minor, the only two works of Ritter, I knew. However the suite Leonhardt plays on his clavicord recital CD (Philips) is listed as being in f sharp minor. So if this is authentic it must be another suite by Ritter. At IMSLP one can find free scores to the two suites without any editoral comments as to authenticy.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Madiel

Quote from: The new erato on October 25, 2021, 02:25:28 AM
Yes, we speak precisely as it is written but Danish is mumbled, and one has to understand the context.  :)

If only Danes would take the potatoes out of their mouths, right?...  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Madiel on October 26, 2021, 02:33:36 AM
If only Danes would take the potatoes out of their mouths, right?...  :laugh:

Agree, it has definitely become worse in recent decades. Before say 1980, Danish was much clearer and the syllables better articulated, making it more 'classically European' to listen to as well. I haven't seen any attempt at explaining why there is this development, or whether it happens elsewhere.

Madiel

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 26, 2021, 06:14:33 AM
Agree, it has definitely become worse in recent decades. Before say 1980, Danish was much clearer and the syllables better articulated, making it more 'classically European' to listen to as well. I haven't seen any attempt at explaining why there is this development, or whether it happens elsewhere.

It actually tends to happen in all languages, but Danish and French are 2 examples of it happening a lot. People everywhere are lazy with their pronunciation and drop the end of things, but the Danish ability to drop half of a word is pretty impressive.

PS a few years ago I saw the movie "Guldkysten". It's both a period piece and deliberately slow and dreamy. I really enjoyed it, partly because I could understand so much of it! (Yes, it was with subtitles anyway)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

French. Yes, probably a good point there.

Btw, even the main protagonist of a conservative political party here, Dansk Folkeparti, in reality says "Dansfolpti"  ::) .

So they've rather released a new name for it
- to ~return somewhat to the subject of the thread ... ;D

Mirror Image

Madiel

Saint-Saens is clearly in vogue. Though I imagine the Warner symphonies are just a subset of their larger box?

The Falla box is also an interesting one.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 06:13:21 PM
Back on topic:

The Hindemith disc looks interesting.
vers la flamme should buy the Szymanowski disc to use it for eye exams.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on October 26, 2021, 06:19:44 PM
Saint-Saens is clearly in vogue. Though I imagine the Warner symphonies are just a subset of their larger box?

Well, it is his anniversary year. Come next year, he'll go back to being neglected and largely forgotten. :)

A side note: it's a bit surprising that Stravinsky didn't get more love on this anniversary of his passing. I mean we got some sets from DG, Decca and Warner, but they're all rehashes of older performances in each label's back catalogs. I didn't see anything that made me think: "Now, I've got to have that!"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 26, 2021, 06:22:40 PM

The Hindemith disc looks interesting.
vers la flamme should buy the Szymanowski disc to use it for eye exams.  :)

Hah! :D

JBS

It has four (possibly more) recordings of El Amor Brujo: one each of the two versions De Falla composed, at least one historical recording, and at least one arrangement or transcription.

I am interested. But I'm not sure I'm that interested. The main draw for me is that it includes Atlantida.

ETA: also four La Vida Breves and three Three Cornered Hats

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 06:30:41 PM
It has four (possibly more) recordings of El Amor Brujo: one each of the two versions De Falla composed, at least one historical recording, and at least one arrangement or transcription.

I am interested. But I'm not sure I'm that interested. The main draw for me is that it includes Atlantida.

Which I'm sure can be bought second-hand somewhere if one looks around.

Brian

The big Warner Saint-Saens box has the Martinon symphony cycle; this Macelaru one is new. Macelaru was a student in conservatory when I attended the same university 2007-10, I saw him perform a few times, and it's fun watching his career grow.

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 06:30:41 PM

ETA: also four La Vida Breves and three Three Cornered Hats

Ugh. And this is the kind of over-stuffing that usually turns me off boxes of this sort. Especially "historical recordings". You do get some instances where recordings are of genuine historical interest (and I note that Falla himself appears to be involved) but often it just means "old recordings we can no longer sell on their own".

I get that some people like having multiple versions of the same work rather more than I do. But in this sort of context it really does tend to feel like an exercise in record companies working out how they can get more money out of people. Get them to buy more CDs than they really want to because there isn't an alternative.

Usually there is an alternative these days: the second-hand market. Or heck, streaming or downloads of the bits I actually want to hear.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2021, 06:42:00 PM
The big Warner Saint-Saens box has the Martinon symphony cycle; this Macelaru one is new. Macelaru was a student in conservatory when I attended the same university 2007-10, I saw him perform a few times, and it's fun watching his career grow.

Ah okay.