Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 2215737 times)

Mandryka and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
Re: New Releases
« Reply #12560 on: October 26, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
Back on topic:

The Hindemith disc looks interesting.
vers la flamme should buy the Szymanowski disc to use it for eye exams.  :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #12561 on: October 26, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »
Saint-Saens is clearly in vogue. Though I imagine the Warner symphonies are just a subset of their larger box?

The Falla box is also an interesting one.

Well, it is his anniversary year. Come next year, he'll go back to being neglected and largely forgotten. :)

A side note: it's a bit surprising that Stravinsky didn't get more love on this anniversary of his passing. I mean we got some sets from DG, Decca and Warner, but they're all rehashes of older performances in each label's back catalogs. I didn't see anything that made me think: "Now, I've got to have that!"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:29:10 PM by Mirror Image »
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #12562 on: October 26, 2021, 06:29:25 PM »

The Hindemith disc looks interesting.
vers la flamme should buy the Szymanowski disc to use it for eye exams.  :)

Hah! :D
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #12563 on: October 26, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »

It has four (possibly more) recordings of El Amor Brujo: one each of the two versions De Falla composed, at least one historical recording, and at least one arrangement or transcription.

I am interested. But I'm not sure I'm that interested. The main draw for me is that it includes Atlantida.

ETA: also four La Vida Breves and three Three Cornered Hats
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:34:32 PM by JBS »

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #12564 on: October 26, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
It has four (possibly more) recordings of El Amor Brujo: one each of the two versions De Falla composed, at least one historical recording, and at least one arrangement or transcription.

I am interested. But I'm not sure I'm that interested. The main draw for me is that it includes Atlantida.

Which I'm sure can be bought second-hand somewhere if one looks around.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12565 on: October 26, 2021, 06:42:00 PM »
Saint-Saens is clearly in vogue. Though I imagine the Warner symphonies are just a subset of their larger box?

The big Warner Saint-Saens box has the Martinon symphony cycle; this Macelaru one is new. Macelaru was a student in conservatory when I attended the same university 2007-10, I saw him perform a few times, and it's fun watching his career grow.

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #12566 on: October 26, 2021, 06:45:09 PM »

ETA: also four La Vida Breves and three Three Cornered Hats

Ugh. And this is the kind of over-stuffing that usually turns me off boxes of this sort. Especially "historical recordings". You do get some instances where recordings are of genuine historical interest (and I note that Falla himself appears to be involved) but often it just means "old recordings we can no longer sell on their own".

I get that some people like having multiple versions of the same work rather more than I do. But in this sort of context it really does tend to feel like an exercise in record companies working out how they can get more money out of people. Get them to buy more CDs than they really want to because there isn't an alternative.

Usually there is an alternative these days: the second-hand market. Or heck, streaming or downloads of the bits I actually want to hear.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #12567 on: October 26, 2021, 06:45:21 PM »
The big Warner Saint-Saens box has the Martinon symphony cycle; this Macelaru one is new. Macelaru was a student in conservatory when I attended the same university 2007-10, I saw him perform a few times, and it's fun watching his career grow.

Ah okay.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12568 on: October 26, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »
I'm happy for the historical add-ons to those Warner boxes. They've included stuff like Falla and Ravel performing their own works, and other stuff that just isn't available any other way (because of their own terrible catalog management). And ultimately for the addition of a couple extra discs, we're usually only talking about $3-4. They're not making some huge fortune. It's for total nerds like me.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #12569 on: October 26, 2021, 07:01:06 PM »
I'm happy for the historical add-ons to those Warner boxes. They've included stuff like Falla and Ravel performing their own works, and other stuff that just isn't available any other way (because of their own terrible catalog management). And ultimately for the addition of a couple extra discs, we're usually only talking about $3-4. They're not making some huge fortune. It's for total nerds like me.

The Warner Stravinsky box is a juicy one: a whole series of recordings by or including Stravinsky from the 30s that aren't in the Sony/Columbia sets.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #12570 on: October 26, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »
Which I'm sure can be bought second-hand somewhere if one looks around.

There a couple of other things in the set that I have only one recording, or even none (Homenajes).

On another angle:
Do you have a contents list for the Mariss Jansons set?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #12571 on: October 26, 2021, 07:06:41 PM »
There a couple of other things in the set that I have only one recording, or even none (Homenajes).

On another angle:
Do you have a contents list for the Mariss Jansons set?

Yep, here you go:

[Left-click to enlarge]

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #12572 on: October 26, 2021, 07:11:37 PM »
And ultimately for the addition of a couple extra discs, we're usually only talking about $3-4. They're not making some huge fortune. It's for total nerds like me.

We're talking about increasing the profit margin on each individual nerd so that the overall effect is to make significantly more money with a minimum of effort. That's kind of the point of the exercise.

But it's really no different to record company behaviour generally, ie it's not confined to classical. Every "greatest hits" of anniversary reissue of a pop album is practically guaranteed to have a few bonuses to induce people who already own most of the material to cough up more money to get those otherwise unobtainable extras.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #12573 on: October 26, 2021, 07:17:46 PM »
Yep, here you go:

[Left-click to enlarge]

Thanks. I'll definitely look out for that. But I hope those SACDs are really SACD hybrids.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #12574 on: October 26, 2021, 07:56:57 PM »
Thanks. I'll definitely look out for that. But I hope those SACDs are really SACD hybrids.

I'm pretty sure they will be. I haven't known this label to release purely SACD recordings.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12575 on: October 27, 2021, 09:52:46 AM »
A new recording, I believe.

I forgot about this before, I think it’s a wonderful video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/D5hXMWAeOMs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/D5hXMWAeOMs</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #12576 on: October 27, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #12577 on: October 27, 2021, 11:40:36 PM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #12578 on: October 28, 2021, 05:37:38 AM »
What's the music like?

Very tonal.  He does a lot of music for films and video games too.  Here is an excerpt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCZ62ELzQk

Offline hvbias

« Reply #12579 on: October 29, 2021, 05:57:11 AM »
Oh, the version my college roommate used was "all cats look the same in the dark." Your version makes much more sense.
Edit: and googling I see "your" version goes back to the 1500s, wow.

Now, the specific use to which he put the metaphor, that was something I had never liked!

I wonder if this started as something quite literal (1500s diet with low vitamin A = poor night vision) then morphed into a metaphor?