Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Daverz

Quote from: mabuse on October 31, 2021, 09:26:05 AM

Les Kapsber'girls : Vous avez dit Brunettes ?
Alpha (2021)

:-*

If I saw this as a thumbnail in a listing of new releases, I don't think it would call out to me "This is for you, baroque lute lovers!"

mabuse

Quote from: Daverz on November 01, 2021, 03:55:19 PM
If I saw this as a thumbnail in a listing of new releases, I don't think it would call out to me "This is for you, baroque lute lovers!"

I wanted to leave the surprise to those who would possibly have the curiosity to want to know what it is  :D

(But otherwise, "Kapsber'girls" is a pun inspired by the name of composer J.H. Kapsberger, which may give an idea of what to expect... )

It is a lovely recording by these four young women !
« "Brunettes" being the name of the chansons that lovers crooned in each others' ears by the Bassin d'Apollon or among the groves of the Petit Trianon at Versailles Palace, undeniably light in character yet powerfully authentic. »

Brian

amw

Quote from: Brian on November 01, 2021, 06:26:03 PM
His Chopin is decent without really standing out in an increasingly crowded field. (Alain Planès had the same problem, imo.) Will be curious to hear this.

vers la flamme

Selig

Florestan

Quote from: Daverz on November 01, 2021, 03:55:19 PM

And you would be right, because it's more like "This is for you, French baroque song lovers!"  :D

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

This is a CD of music which has been attributed to Louis Couperin, familiar warhorses of the LC repertoire in fact, but it turns out that the authorship is very vigorously disputed. Good performances and well recorded I'd say, whoever wrote the music.

Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/16/000142861.pdf

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Selig on November 02, 2021, 03:28:14 AM

Unfortunately after Brexit purchasing CDs from English suppliers has become very expensive. If I were to purchase this attractive recording it would cost me three times as much as before Brexit.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ritter

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 02, 2021, 02:45:58 AM
Hey, that Craft Webern edition looks interesting.
Indeed. Of great historical interest, and never before available on CD AFAIK.

What is kind of sad is that Sony uses the same picture of the composer for both the Boulez and Craft releases of Webern's works in this budget series, resulting in almost identical covers:

How lazy is that?  ??? ::) >:(

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on November 02, 2021, 06:14:52 AM

What is kind of sad is that Sony uses the same picture of the composer for both the Boulez and Craft releases of Webern's works in tis budget series, resulting in almost identical covers:

Well, they're budget sets, so I'm not expecting an astonishing presentation nor should anyone else.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 02, 2021, 06:47:14 AM
Well, they're budget sets, so I'm not expecting an astonishing presentation nor should anyone else.
No, of course not. But just choosing another picture of good old Anton wouldn't have broken the bank.... ;)

Brian

Personally I thought it was confusing because I remembered the earlier box and wondered if maybe it was a reissue of the exact same box over again. Had a moment of worry that someone would reply, "That's not a new release! It came out years ago!" ;D

Artem

That's exactly what I thought at first.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2021, 07:18:05 AM
Personally I thought it was confusing because I remembered the earlier box and wondered if maybe it was a reissue of the exact same box over again. Had a moment of worry that someone would reply, "That's not a new release! It came out years ago!" ;D

Yes, poor marketing. To make it even more convoluted, I saw the cover and thought, well that's just the Boulez set, which I already have with a different cover.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Cross-posting this warning in the hopes that somebody bought a physical CD and can advise us on whether it is affected.

-

! POTENTIALLY DEFECTIVE NEW RELEASE WARNING !

Just had an amazingly trippy experience:

I've never heard Hindemith's Clarinet Quartet before. But unfortunately, in this performance, the second movement contains two tracks overlaid on top of each other. The second movement is played normally, but with the entire first movement repeated in mono sound in the background of the right channel. The result takes Hindemith's love of counterpoint to, uh, a dangerous new extreme.  ;D ;D

This is true on several streaming sources I've tried: Naxos Music Library, Presto free samples, even Orfeo label's own website. So it is possible Orfeo has coded the insane merger track into everything.

Now I have to seek out another album to hear this piece as it is meant to be played. Because that was...uh...terrifyingly intense. Kind of cool in an Ivesian way. But also hair-raisingly bizarre.

vers la flamme

Quote from: ritter on November 02, 2021, 06:14:52 AM

What is kind of sad is that Sony uses the same picture of the composer for both the Boulez and Craft releases of Webern's works in this budget series, resulting in almost identical covers:

I definitely had the same thought. Personally I have the Boulez set in a different guise, this:

... which seems to highlight Boulez more so than it does Webern...