New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

A pleasure to hear this charming and level headed performance - it's very British because it is always well mannered and calm. The recording is clear, the registrations are tasteful and the organ (Niedhardt Kleine Stadt) is rather nice too. If John Steed, or rather Emma Peel, played AoF, this is what it would sound like.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Frédérick Haas augments his Couperin product line, François that is, as far as I can see there is no overlap with his earlier offering.

Brian

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on November 28, 2021, 06:31:00 PM
I think the mania is from the record labels (not just DG, he's on several labels) who record him in everything.

that was exactly my point .... and as a conductor if you were asked to record all this music with A list bands you're not going to say no!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 29, 2021, 11:44:46 PM
that was exactly my point .... and as a conductor if you were asked to record all this music with A list bands you're not going to say no!

He's in the catbird seat, and lovin' it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Roasted Swan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2021, 07:15:09 AM
He's in the catbird seat, and lovin' it.

That's a new phrase to me! c/o Google; ""The catbird seat" is an idiomatic phrase used to describe an enviable position, often in terms of having the upper hand or greater advantage in any type of dealing among parties. It derives from the secluded perch on which the grey catbird makes mocking calls."

So.... a perfect description!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Brian on November 29, 2021, 10:40:27 AM
Chandos in January

Samuel Coleridge Taylor...... Tick
Florence Price.........Tick

Is it any good.......... don't ask

Brian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 30, 2021, 09:53:18 AM

Not sure what the exact contents are yet, but Price's chamber and solo piano music in general are very charming (in contrast to the somewhat amateurish orchestration skills; check out the solo piano dances recorded by Althea Waites), and Coleridge Taylor of course has a notably pretty violin concerto.

betterthanfine

What are you even implying?

Hans Holbein

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 30, 2021, 01:48:56 PM
What are you even implying?

The implication is (IMO)  that the only reason anyone would record the music of Black composers is tokenism and that it can be assumed that the music is of low quality.

Why bother posting such a comment? Even if you hold such views, what good comes of expressing them outwardly? There is no need to chime in. It adds nothing productive to the discussion.

The musicians judged these works to be worth learning and recording, and listeners can decide for themselves whether they are worth hearing.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2021, 12:00:33 PM
Not sure what the exact contents are yet, but Price's chamber and solo piano music in general are very charming (in contrast to the somewhat amateurish orchestration skills; check out the solo piano dances recorded by Althea Waites), and Coleridge Taylor of course has a notably pretty violin concerto.

Coleridge-Taylor in fact has been known and talked about for a few decades now, and more than a little of his music has been recorded. Sargent recorded Hiawatha's Wedding Feast in 1960 (approximately).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

staxomega

Quote from: Hans Holbein on November 30, 2021, 05:16:19 PM
The implication is (IMO)  that the only reason anyone would record the music of Black composers is tokenism and that it can be assumed that the music is of low quality.

Why bother posting such a comment? Even if you hold such views, what good comes of expressing them outwardly? There is no need to chime in. It adds nothing productive to the discussion.

The musicians judged these works to be worth learning and recording, and listeners can decide for themselves whether they are worth hearing.

On the contrary, I'd much rather these people have their views tattooed to their forehead.

Edit: upcoming on Eloquence, I think I'm in for both. 

Mandryka

I though 3 was particularly impressive so I'm looking forward to this.

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on December 02, 2021, 01:10:50 AM

I though 3 was particularly impressive so I'm looking forward to this.

Looking forward to the viola da gamba drone piece 8)

Brian

King's/Cleobury/Argo:

and for the Savall enthusiasts here are Beethoven symphony timings + recording info:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on December 03, 2021, 07:58:51 AM
King's/Cleobury/Argo:

and for the Savall enthusiasts here are Beethoven symphony timings + recording info:

Has anyone recorded a shorter Op. 125?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2021, 09:19:30 AM
Has anyone recorded a shorter Op. 125?
Gardiner 59:43 and could have been two minutes faster if he had skipped some repeats in the scherzo.

amw

Quote from: Brian on December 03, 2021, 11:48:12 AM
Gardiner 59:43 and could have been two minutes faster if he had skipped some repeats in the scherzo.
Spering 59:36. The best recording, Herreweghe, is 62:26; his Royal Flemish Philharmonic remake comes in at 60:55. This is a fairly standard tempo range at this point.

André

The 1959 Munch BSO performance runs under 63 mins. The same forces gave a concert a couple of days before and it's under 60'. The concert performance  is available on the net and it sizzles. No scherzo repeat of course. Munch never met a repeat he liked.

Karl Henning

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA