New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Unusual harpsichord sound. This needs to be explored.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 08, 2022, 11:22:50 PM

Unusual harpsichord sound. This needs to be explored.

I admire your resolve to keep exploring the umpteenth recording of these sonatas, it's getting crazy by now!
You did inspire me to do a recent run through of new and unknown recordings, but it didn't render any new favourites...

I think I'm good.  8)

Mandryka

Sounds like another rather nice Schubert CD with good instruments and sound.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 08, 2022, 11:31:42 PM
I admire your resolve to keep exploring the umpteenth recording of these sonatas, it's getting crazy by now!
You did inspire me to do a recent fun through of new and unknown recordings, but it didn't render any new favourites...

I think I'm good.  8)

Yes well this one won't be!

Mandryka

Yea! New Reusner!

Mandryka

Yea! New Gautier, or rather Les Gautier.

Mandryka

The interesting thing here is Sabine Lutzenberger.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 08, 2022, 11:31:47 PM

Looks definitely  interesting. Piet Kuijken is self recommending, but don't know the violinist.

I was just in the process of gathering the Anton Steck/Robert Hill MDG recordings!

Mandryka

The interest here is the piano player obvs.

Mandryka

Holliger arrangement of Schoenberg op 19!

Madiel

Mandryka, it's been pointed out to you before that other people will make a single post with a series of images of album covers. Why do you persist in making a string of separate posts? It frankly makes it more difficult to process the information.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Mandryka

The earlier recording of trios with Hantai is a great favourite of mine. NB the presence of flute.

Mandryka

This sounds very fun to me

QuoteFor »Colombina«, the Accademia del Piacere has selected particularly attractive pieces from the manuscript of the »Cancioniero de la Colombina«, the songbook in the Colombina Library in Seville. The manuscript is undoubtedly one of the great musical monuments of Spanish Renaissance music. It was acquired in 1534 by the library's founder, Hernando Columbus, son of Christopher Columbus, and was most likely assembled by one of the first gamba ensembles in the Duchy of Medina-Sidonia. Fahmi Alqhai, musical director of the Accademia del Piacere, rediscovered the sound of this old ensemble five hundred years later for his Accademia del Piacere. In this way, these rarely heard pieces from the Andalusian music school of the 15th century are brought to new life.

kyjo

New Dutton Epoch releases!! How exciting! Including, but not limited to:

Henry Walford Davies, Alfred M Wall, Susan Spain-Dunk – Piano Quintets:

Richard Arnell – Symphony for Strings, Concertino, Divertimento No. 1, Canzona and Capriccio, Divertimento Concertante

Arthur Sullivan – L'île Enchantée: ballet in one act, Procession March, Day Dreams, The Sapphire Necklace: Overture

Benjamin Godard – Volume 3: Violin Concerto, En plein air, Scènes écossaises, Suite de trois morceaux, and Trois morceaux

Paul Lacombe (1837-1927) – Volume 2: Piano Quartet, Cello Sonata, Violin Sonata No. 3

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2022, 07:50:50 PM

The earlier recording of trios with Hantai is a great favourite of mine. NB the presence of flute.

Who exactly are the performers? And which trios? The JPC watermark covers all the details.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2022, 07:43:10 PM

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/neusidler-lute-music/hnum/10942790

Yavor Genov, a new name for me.

Thanks for completely ignoring me and not even bothering to respond. Much appreciated.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on June 09, 2022, 08:34:54 PM
Who exactly are the performers? And which trios? The JPC watermark covers all the details.

I did notice that and meant to say something, but got distracted. Pierre and Marc Hantai, Alexandre Moccia and Alessandro Verssier. I don't think it has been released but there are a couple of teasers on Spotify.

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2022, 12:00:35 AM

Holliger arrangement of Schoenberg op 19!

I thought this was outsanding. Might be the performance of op. 9 that interweaves the sentimentality of the past with how modern the piece is. There isn't any homogenizing, and there is a razor sharp clarity to the work and a perfunctory confidence not just from the orchestra but how perfect Schoenberg's piece is.

I liked Holliger's transcription of op. 19 as well, then I made a playlist with the piano work (Daniele Pollini) before each orchestral transcription and liked it even more. Holliger is daring in his choices of textures and doesn't just default to safe instruments that sound like the piano. Sehr langsam in particular really convey's the stillness of Mahler's death.

Very good performances of both Webern works as well, but they didn't stand out as much as Boulez has reference level performances of both.

Oh yes the album art reminds me of Melancholia, one for the best looking album art thread!

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on June 08, 2022, 11:31:47 PM

Slightly peculiar to me that we're getting two new recordings of the music for piano and violin on period instruments, yet it's uncommon to find period instrument performances for what I think are better works- the Trout Quintet, string quintet, and the string quartets. I asked Arcana about Festetics recording more of the string quartets many years ago and got a cryptic reply along the lines of it will be happening but there has been nothing new.