New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Really impressive! I just wish that he didn't mix Books, I want to hear all op 12 together and I'm not so interested in the Liszt type music. I want to get a clear view of Grieg's evolution, how his piano style evolved.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DaveF

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2022, 11:00:37 AM

Finally, good news for those of you who've long been wishing for a lady to become a composer:

Well, they obviously mean woman - it's no fit occupation for a lady.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Todd

Uhlig's Schumann will be boxed up.  Do I need a third complete Schumann cycle in my collection?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

I have Reine Gianoli, Jorg Demus, Eric Le Sage and the Brilliant Classics box. The Uhlig looks like a welome addition.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Florestan on June 21, 2022, 07:18:10 AM
I have Reine Gianoli, Jorg Demus, Eric Le Sage and the Brilliant Classics box. The Uhlig looks like a welome addition.  :D

Is Uhlig such an outstanding Schumann interpreter?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on June 21, 2022, 04:49:26 AM

Uhlig's Schumann will be boxed up.  Do I need a third complete Schumann cycle in my collection?

Quote from: Florestan on June 21, 2022, 07:18:10 AM

Hi Todd and Andrei - I own Le Sage & Ciocarlie; probably don't need another box but have not read reviews nor heard Uhlig - any early comments?  Inserted above is part of the JPC offering - not cheap despite the discount but includes 19 CDs!  My boxes have 13 discs each, so nearly 50% more music!  Dave :)

Florestan

Quote from: Que on June 21, 2022, 08:23:52 AM

I have no idea. Maybe amw can illuminate us.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 21, 2022, 08:25:54 AM
Hi Todd and Andrei - I own Le Sage & Ciocarlie

Drat! I forgot I have Ciocarlie too.  :o

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 21, 2022, 08:25:54 AMHi Todd and Andrei - I own Le Sage & Ciocarlie; probably don't need another box but have not read reviews nor heard Uhlig - any early comments?

Never heard a note.  I guess I will have to stream some.  Soon.  Today.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on June 21, 2022, 08:27:17 AM

This is actually a sign that I should be listening to what I already have rather than keep adding new recordings to my library. I very much suspect that my current library is large enough to keep me busy for years to come.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on June 21, 2022, 08:53:32 AM

Never heard a note.  I guess I will have to stream some.  Soon.  Today.

Well, for those that do look at reviews, I've attached a bunch (there were more on Fanfare of individual releases) - but the comments are somewhat mixed - still, Uhlig is available on Spotify, so will likely take a listen, and will be interested in what others may say?  Dave :)

MusicTurner

I just ordered an Uhlig/Schumann CD on offer from JPC, where he plays the three most well known concertante works, plus two pieces with orchestrations by others: an early Konzertstuck in d-minor B5, plus the Abegg Variations in a concertante version. Seems well played, judging from samples.
Hurwitz gave it 9/9 on Classics Today. Not mentioned in the reviews seen above.

The early version of the piano concerto, recorded by Frager and others, is not there however. But I think that version is only mildly interesting.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 21, 2022, 08:23:52 AM

I just listened to op 11/i. On the basis of that, I'd say that he can do dreamy and he can do bouncy; he can tell a story with the music;  nice tone too and a decent recording.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on June 21, 2022, 08:27:17 AM
Even I remembered you had Ciocarlie (and was surprised by your omitting that set from your list). There were quite a few posts about that box here on GMG some months ago (in which I did not participate, as I'm not in the market for more Schumann).

Good evening to you, Florestan.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on June 21, 2022, 11:48:11 AM
Even I remembered you had Ciocarlie (and was surprised by your omitting that set from your list). There were quite a few posts about that box here on GMG some months ago (in which I did not participate, as I'm not in the market for more Schumann).

Good evening to you, Florestan.

Good evening, Rafael. As I said, I should focus on listening rather than acquiring.  :D

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on June 21, 2022, 09:02:48 AM
This is actually a sign that I should be listening to what I already have rather than keep adding new recordings to my library. I very much suspect that my current library is large enough to keep me busy for years to come.
This weekend I remembered an entire 50 CD "big box" I had forgotten about and pulled a bunch of discs out to revisit. Nice to be surprised like that  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on June 21, 2022, 12:16:56 PM
This weekend I remembered an entire 50 CD "big box" I had forgotten about and pulled a bunch of discs out to revisit. Nice to be surprised like that  ;D

Good! Wh. box?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra on Sony / Vivarte!

Madiel

There's an entire discussion somewhere about the preferences of amw and others (the Schumann composer thread?) because I happened to ask about it a couple of months ago.

Edit: found the conversation. https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,80.msg1420678.html#msg1420678

Since then I've only listened to an album or two of the series I chose to try. Uhlig was one of them. So far so good. One of the distinguishing features is that Uhlig's set is ultra complete, reflecting the numerous cases where Schumann revised works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!