New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 02, 2022, 10:28:19 AM
Also, what seasoned listener needs another Chopin f minor concerto?

Well, I for one can't have too much Chopin in my life.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Maestro267

Most Chopin PC1s approach 40 minutes, not 30. 20-odd for the first movement then close to 10 for each of the last two.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on July 02, 2022, 10:32:16 AM
Well, I for one can't have too much Chopin in my life.  ;D

Of all the Chopin that I want in my life, I have to confess the concertos are somewhere near the bottom.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

staxomega

Quote from: Todd on July 02, 2022, 09:23:12 AM

The draw is Takahiro Sonoda playing the concertos.

Yes indeed, Sonoda is quite excellent in the Brahms Piano Concerti (Jiří Kout/NHK Symphony), and I should carve out some time to hear him in the Schumann.

[/img]

RACHMANINOFF
Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19

BRAHMS
Cello Sonata No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 38
Clarinet Trio in A Minor, Op. 114 (nice!)

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 02, 2022, 07:33:00 AM
I've not yet been listening to the Mitropoulos set because the shipment has been a Comedy of Errors, starting with it was released on 22 April, but initial supply was apparently low, and apparently I was not a priority recipient. Latest is: the lady at Sony told me delivery was expected yesterday, but the parcel is still sitting in Indiana, and when it gets to Massachusetts, nobody knows.

For perspective, and mine is not at all any serious complaint, of course, my publisher observes:
This sounds typical for today's times. Friends with medical shipments weeks late. Amazon packages lost or mis-delivered. Hordes of airline flights canceled.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

The Mitropoulos box set has some fascinating repertoire, but the dated fidelity would definitely keep me away from it.

Mirror Image

Some interesting Stravinsky releases coming out:

Brian

5 CDs

A handy complement to the disc by Samantha Ege, which contains unpublished fantasies which were found in a Chicago attic.

We also have more pics/info about the new Vaughan Williams Big Box (click to expand):

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 04, 2022, 10:25:48 AMWe also have more pics/info about the new Vaughan Williams Big Box (click to expand):

Looks like a lovely box set. My only wish was all of the recordings had a new digital remastering, then I might consider it. The Handley symphony cycle especially is in need of it. This would be a great set for someone who likes RVW and wants to explore more of his music beyond the usual suspects like The Lark Ascending, Tallis Fantasia, Five Variants on 'Dives and Lazaurs' et. al.

Mirror Image

Coming in August:

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 11:11:06 AM
Looks like a lovely box set. My only wish was all of the recordings had a new digital remastering, then I might consider it. The Handley symphony cycle especially is in need of it. This would be a great set for someone who likes RVW and wants to explore more of his music beyond the usual suspects like The Lark Ascending, Tallis Fantasia, Five Variants on 'Dives and Lazaurs' et. al.

It would seem 90% or more of the recordings in this set are the ones used in the old EMI Collector's Edition.  They even retained "Sir Adrian in Rehearsal". The main upgrade is therefore the packaging.

The old Edition had Barbirolli's mono version of the Tuba Concerto. His name is not listed here so I assume a newer recording was used.
Not mentioned at all are chamber works, which account for about 1 1/2 CDs in the old Edition. Either Warner included them but didn't think them worth listing, or they've been replaced by works not in the old Edition.

ETA: just realized the back cover blurb mentions chamber music, so it seems the only different recording is the Tuba Concerto.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on July 05, 2022, 12:54:15 PM
It would seem 90% or more of the recordings in this set are the ones used in the old EMI Collector's Edition.  They even retained "Sir Adrian in Rehearsal". The main upgrade is therefore the packaging.

The old Edition had Barbirolli's mono version of the Tuba Concerto. His name is not listed here so I assume a newer recording was used.
Not mentioned at all are chamber works, which account for about 1 1/2 CDs in the old Edition. Either Warner included them but didn't think them worth listing, or they've been replaced by works not in the old Edition.

ETA: just realized the back cover blurb mentions chamber music, so it seems the only different recording is the Tuba Concerto.

Yes, this does indeed seem to be the case. Oh well, for the newcomer, it would be most welcome I'm sure.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on July 02, 2022, 09:23:12 AM

The draw is Takahiro Sonoda playing the concertos.

I just want to add that the cover says Brahms All Symphonies.

Brian

More AUGUST RELEASES

The extraordinary choir Accentus has signed with Alpha.

Bonus: the Truls Mork album with Debussy, Bridge, and Britten sonatas ALSO has Janacek's Fairy Tale.
The Vieuxtemps is all world premiere recordings of previously unpublished works, so if you like the composer, you will need it.

After Adam Fischer's Beethoven cycle, I think we are all used to his newfound mega-eccentricity. So here are the track timings for his Brahms:

Symphony No. 1
14:53
7:47
4:17
16:34

Symphony No. 2
18:13
8:16
4:47
8:34

Symphony No. 3
12:39
8:03
5:39
8:02

Symphony No. 4
10:41
8:47 (!!)
5:39
9:06

The booklet interview with Adam Fischer is also interesting and unexpected. He is asked about being the only conductor to have recorded all the Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, AND Mahler symphonies, and replies that he's actually doing Haydn AGAIN:

"We now plan to record Haydn's last 24 symphonies over a period of four years, basically from live concerts. Only Antal Doráti, yet another Hungarian, recorded all the Haydn symphonies (on Decca) before me, and now I am alone on the market with the complete symphonies. But that will change soon, 2032 is Haydn's 300th birthday, that will surely initiate a lot of new recordings!"

Two notes on that:
1. Does he not know about Antonini's ongoing 2032 project?
2. His explanation for re-recording Haydn is: " I realise now that we should rely much more on our imagination. In his own time, Haydn was a kind of "popstar", his humour and jokes were understood immediately, whereas now we must bring them to life anew. Maybe I was too frightened or cautious then, too concerned with the notes. I must work and think as a stage director, recreate life, not just interpret music."

DavidW

I'm happy to hear that Fischer will rerecord the last 24 symphonies.  I feel that was the weak spot in his cycle.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2022, 05:30:07 PM

The booklet interview with Adam Fischer is also interesting and unexpected. He is asked about being the only conductor to have recorded all the Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, AND Mahler symphonies, and replies that he's actually doing Haydn AGAIN:

"We now plan to record Haydn's last 24 symphonies over a period of four years, basically from live concerts. Only Antal Doráti, yet another Hungarian, recorded all the Haydn symphonies (on Decca) before me, and now I am alone on the market with the complete symphonies. But that will change soon, 2032 is Haydn's 300th birthday, that will surely initiate a lot of new recordings!"

Two notes on that:
1. Does he not know about Antonini's ongoing 2032 project?
2. His explanation for re-recording Haydn is: " I realise now that we should rely much more on our imagination. In his own time, Haydn was a kind of "popstar", his humour and jokes were understood immediately, whereas now we must bring them to life anew. Maybe I was too frightened or cautious then, too concerned with the notes. I must work and think as a stage director, recreate life, not just interpret music."

He seems to have forgotten Marzendorfer and Davies as well.
I can think of three reasons why he didn't mention Antonini:
--Because A. is using more than one orchestra, and he didn't.
--Because A. Is PI and he isn't.
--As a marketing ploy.

DavidW

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2022, 06:08:36 PM
He seems to have forgotten Marzendorfer

Which is a very glaring omission since it is only one of only two sets currently still in print (and the second isn't Fischer! it is Naxos).

DavidW

Is the Heidelberg set complete yet?

JBS

Quote from: DavidW on July 06, 2022, 06:42:21 PM
Which is a very glaring omission since it is only one of only two sets currently still in print (and the second isn't Fischer! it is Naxos).

Fischer is still in print, albeit as part of a much larger set.