New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioCar

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 30, 2022, 05:36:11 AM
Interesting, thanks, I hadn't heard of that one.

You're welcome. It's really an evocative piece, and if you like sequences in music (as I do) it's music to your ears indeed.

Mirror Image

Here are some upcoming releases that may be of some interest:

This Bach Faust is a 9 CD set that I'm sure are reissues.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9361848--hans-rott-symphony-no-1

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2022, 07:51:17 AM

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9361848--hans-rott-symphony-no-1

That Rott Symphony No. 1 is a truly marvellous work but I have only very limited exposure to Hrusa, and that is in Dvorak's music.

André

Madiel

The SWR Ballets Russes simply repackages the existing separate releases. So there's no surprise there on things like the order of couplings.

The list of differences from Warner should also mention that Warner gives the whole of Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty, not little chunks.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on July 30, 2022, 08:17:56 AM
That Rott Symphony No. 1 is a truly marvellous work but I have only very limited exposure to Hrusa, and that is in Dvorak's music.

Quote from: André on July 30, 2022, 12:35:53 PM
Definitely on the shopping list !

I don't know the Rott work too well at all, but it's strange seeing Hrůša on the DG label. I wonder when he signed with them? He was recording for the Tudor and Pentatone labels. I guess he's going to be DG's next star? If this is the case, I really hope he does a Martinů cycle since DG is under the UMG umbrella and has the financial resources to record such a project. Fingers are crossed here for sure.

Mirror Image

Some other upcoming releases:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on July 30, 2022, 12:35:53 PM
Definitely on the shopping list !

The Rott is indeed a fine work but I don't think I need another version of it especially since this one;

is so fine - one of my favourite discs from Paavo Jarvi

Brian

The Mork cello sonatas disc with Britten and Bridge also has Janacek's Pohadka.

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 30, 2022, 11:51:34 PM
The Rott is indeed a fine work but I don't think I need another version of it especially since this one;

It's the two fillers that appeal to me :P. I have half a dozen complete Mahhler cycles and many individual discs, but NO version of Blumine. And Bruckner's Symphonic Prelude is a fantastic work in its own right. There is dispute as to its authorship, some claim it's by Mahler, others by Mahler's classmate Krzyzanowski. Whatever the case, it deserves to be played and recorded more regularly. Having a new recording of Rott's symphony on the disc is a big bonus of course...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 31, 2022, 05:15:30 AM
The Mork cello sonatas disc with Britten and Bridge also has Janacek's Pohadka.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on July 30, 2022, 06:14:58 AM
Good year for people who like big boxes of pre/proto-HIP performances of baroque stuff:

I Musici: the Philips Legacy
83 CDs

74 CDs

Personally I am more interested in the previously announced Reinhard Goebel box:

74 CDs

I saw this the other day, when you posted it, but I drooled so torrentially I shorted out my keyboard and couldn't respond ;D
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 30, 2022, 11:51:34 PM

Does anyone else see the resemblance here with Putin?

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MusicTurner

Quote from: GioCar on July 30, 2022, 07:00:20 AM
You're welcome. It's really an evocative piece, and if you like sequences in music (as I do) it's music to your ears indeed.

Thanks, JPC has two expensive recordings currently, but I'll be looking if it turns up cheaper some time.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on July 30, 2022, 08:17:56 AM
+1 for the Rott Symphony - a fine work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: ultralinear on August 02, 2022, 10:28:49 AM

I've seen Hrusa conduct Mahler in concert, and liked his work.  These seem pretty good too:

So the Rott is definitely on my list. :)

All of that is good to read. Cheers.

Mandryka

The first 11 klavierstücke from Benjamin Kobler - listening to 9 now, it is excellent. I know Kobler from his Rihm and his Natürliche Dauern - both wonderful, I have no doubt this is an important release.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

I don't think this has been mentioned here yet:

Brian

Now that is a Big Box. Wonder how many discs it will contain and how many pounds it will cost weigh  ;D ;D