New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

The bottom line is that we don't know what Decca did, they are deliberately vague.

The 1997 issue does brag about using the CEDAR Dehisser DH-2.

https://www.cedar-audio.com/products/series2/series.shtml
https://www.cedar-audio.com/products/series2/dh.shtml

The thing is long extinct, but the material linked above says something about the thing being able accept 24-bit digital, as well as having its own ADCs and DACs.

If the people at Decca weren't idiots they would have run the tape with as high resolution ADC as they had and stored the raw audio. Then then would have run it through this monstrous thing. Then they could have tinkered with the DH-2 settings until they decided it was just right. I guess it's possible that they used this thing directly and never stored an unprocessed capture of the tape. The fact that that would have been an idiotic thing to do doesn't mean they didn't do it that way.

The more recent CD release I have (without CEDAR) just refers to a "high bit-depth transfer of the legendary recording, carefully remastered in 2012." Notice they don't refer to sample rate, only bit depth. Could be the 24-bit 48 kHz master referred to above. That suggest to me that they "remastered" the 1997 transfer.

So my guess is that they have a folder full of wav files that they created in 1997 and played with them to "remaster" the recordings in 2012. (That's how I stored the LP transfers I did with my audio CD recorder around the same time.)

Of course, they would be stupid not to try to run the tapes again, but I get the impression that the tapes are deteriorating faster than the technology is improving.

The bottom line is, I'm more interested in what they are doing to preserve my favorite Ring cycle, the Karajan/Berlin. And there are live recordings of the Karajan ring in Salzburg which (based on what I have heard, they were used for Karajan's film of Rheingold) are better than his studio cycle. Why is there no definitive edition of those? Why is no one baking those tapes?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: vmartell on September 19, 2022, 07:09:39 PMI that means what I think it means

It means you are misusing already misused phrases to support the false notion that new, high res audio comes with some type of material benefit, either audible or archival. 

I understand why now outmoded major labels, absorbed into a decreasing number of companies, endlessly recycle their back catalogs.  Reissues are cheap and easy.  Exciting A&R is expensive and hard.  Fortunately, smaller labels have taken up the slack in the classical realm in solo and chamber music, and social media and fewer barriers to entry in terms of recording have resulted in an explosion of musical acts in other genres.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

NOVEMBER NEW RELEASES

For those keeping score, Christian Zacharias has now recorded Mozart concertos 23/24 three times: once as pianist, once as conductor, and once as both.

The Tchaikovsky Souvenir de Florence on BIS is in a new arrangement for string orchestra by Julian Azkoul. Of course, previous arrangements for string orchestra exist and have already been recorded, so I consulted the booklet note by Azkoul: "The arrangement on this disc seeks to heighten the textural contrasts inherent in the original sextet, with occasional solos for the first violin, first cello, second cello, as well as the first and second viola. The double bass is present in the loudest sections and usually reinforces the second cello part when thematic material is repeated, even in quieter passages."

Oramo's Langgaard 1 track timings: 20:01 + 10:14 + 5:00 + 4:54 + 15:22 = 55:34
Contrast to Dausgaard's recording: 21:26 + 10:38 + 5:40 + 5:18 + 17:28 = 60:30
Or contrast to Segerstam's version: 23:09 + 11:50 + 5:44 + 6:13 + 20:20 = 67:16

"Peter Friis Johansson has commissioned new works as well as worked toward the unearthing of overlooked masterpieces of Swedish music. His latest disc presents the fruits of these efforts: one older, unfinished work with a completion by Johansson himself, the two others commissions made on his initiative. All three concertos were premièred between 2017 and 2020. At the turn of the previous century, Laura Netzel was one of Sweden's most acclaimed and frequently performed composers internationally. Composed around that time, the Piano Concerto, Netzel's largest composition, exceeds the expected framework with grand dramatic gestures and waves of emotion."

"When we recorded this album, in March 2022, no-one could have imagined that it would be Bramwell Tovey's last recording. Chandos Records would like to dedicate this recording to the memory of Bramwell Tovey, with whom the company had collaborated for over a decade."

Brian

MORE COOL NOVEMBER STUFF

"the Twelfth Symphony is an unusual 'sinfonia concertante' for nine soloists and orchestra."

Symphonic Addict

Ohh, some magnificent releases here!

The Langgaard looks like a thrilling performance, but man, what a stupid cover art! Dacapo needs to hire better graphic designers.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2022, 08:03:23 AM
MORE COOL NOVEMBER STUFF

"the Twelfth Symphony is an unusual 'sinfonia concertante' for nine soloists and orchestra."

Gothic Voices responds to Orlando Consort's last (and excellent) release, which was dedicated to music in renaissance Florence. And Fretwork move from Flat consorts to Little consorts in Locke. The Flat ones were very nice, so high hopes here. Duo Playel sounded cool in Schubert, so this may be OK too.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mapman

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 20, 2022, 08:57:25 AM
Ohh, some magnificent releases here!

The Langgaard looks like a thrilling performance, but man, what a stupid cover art! Dacapo needs to hire better graphic designers.

The Langgaard cover art is obviously designed to remind people of the (former) Amsterdam tram line 15. (I have no idea what they were actually thinking!)

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2022, 07:54:57 AM
NOVEMBER NEW RELEASES

For those keeping score, Christian Zacharias has now recorded Mozart concertos 23/24 three times: once as pianist, once as conductor, and once as both.

The Tchaikovsky Souvenir de Florence on BIS is in a new arrangement for string orchestra by Julian Azkoul. Of course, previous arrangements for string orchestra exist and have already been recorded, so I consulted the booklet note by Azkoul: "The arrangement on this disc seeks to heighten the textural contrasts inherent in the original sextet, with occasional solos for the first violin, first cello, second cello, as well as the first and second viola. The double bass is present in the loudest sections and usually reinforces the second cello part when thematic material is repeated, even in quieter passages."

Oramo's Langgaard 1 track timings: 20:01 + 10:14 + 5:00 + 4:54 + 15:22 = 55:34
Contrast to Dausgaard's recording: 21:26 + 10:38 + 5:40 + 5:18 + 17:28 = 60:30
Or contrast to Segerstam's version: 23:09 + 11:50 + 5:44 + 6:13 + 20:20 = 67:16

"Peter Friis Johansson has commissioned new works as well as worked toward the unearthing of overlooked masterpieces of Swedish music. His latest disc presents the fruits of these efforts: one older, unfinished work with a completion by Johansson himself, the two others commissions made on his initiative. All three concertos were premièred between 2017 and 2020. At the turn of the previous century, Laura Netzel was one of Sweden's most acclaimed and frequently performed composers internationally. Composed around that time, the Piano Concerto, Netzel's largest composition, exceeds the expected framework with grand dramatic gestures and waves of emotion."

"When we recorded this album, in March 2022, no-one could have imagined that it would be Bramwell Tovey's last recording. Chandos Records would like to dedicate this recording to the memory of Bramwell Tovey, with whom the company had collaborated for over a decade."

You think. "a whole hour of Pachelbel magnificat fugues -- it's just ridiculous." But then you realise that Space Time Continuo is a trio sonata thing, so maybe, just maybe.

NO!

Can't have too many Prussian Quartets-- though my favourite, the Hoffmeister, is left out in the cold.

JBS

Poor Weinberger. Even on a CD of piano works, he can't escape being the composer of Svanda Dudak.

He actually wrote a few operas, including one based on The Outcasts of Poker Flat.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Mandryka, which release caused you to say "NO!" ?  ;D ;D

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2022, 11:39:03 AM
Mandryka, which release caused you to say "NO!" ?  ;D ;D

Pachelbel obvs. It's going to be 60 minutes of exercise fugues, each one lasting for less than 90 seconds.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mapman on September 20, 2022, 11:23:35 AM
The Langgaard cover art is obviously designed to remind people of the (former) Amsterdam tram line 15. (I have no idea what they were actually thinking!)

That might be the only reason for such a decision.  ::)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

M. Yaskovsky

The former tram routes 13 in The Hague and 14 in Copenhagen had the same 'koersbord' https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijnkleurgebruik_bij_trambedrijven

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on August 07, 2022, 01:14:29 PM
Is the sound quality Ok?

Having listened to it this afternoon, I can say confidently that it is a fabulous new release and everyone should buy one without hesitating.

Mandryka

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on September 18, 2022, 03:52:41 AM

Good transfer IMO - of the Debussy preludes - dynamic range and tone. Lots of noise of course. But this is the one to go to I think, this is the transfer to use.

Will these recordings be on the upcoming Warner box? As I understand Columbia Graphophone Company is now owned by Warner, whereas Columbia US is owned by Sony.

Brian

Quote from: hvbias on September 22, 2022, 02:49:55 PM
Will these recordings be on the upcoming Warner box? As I understand Columbia Graphophone Company is now owned by Warner, whereas Columbia US is owned by Sony.
I believe Todd posted the complete contents of the Warner box. It might be far enough back that going through Todd's history (or looking up the Amazon.de listing) would be the fastest solution.

Brian

First-ever recording for the new music director of the RLPO.

Debussy - Jeux
Roussel - Bacchus et Ariane Suite No. 2
Debussy - the Faune
Dukas - Fanfare and La Péri

JBS

I obviously missed something.
What happened with Petrenko?
And what's Maestro Hindoyan's background? (Spanish or Latin American or Filipino, going by the first name)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk