New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Brian

MORE NOVEMBER RELEASES

piano quartets

Despite the "New" title it's actually Brahms - Sonata No. 1 and variations Opp. 9 and 18b

World premiere, eh?
82 minute disc

From the booklet notes, explaining the edition: "Alma did eventually ask the composer Ernst Krenek to make a fair copy of the Adagio first movement and the Purgatorio. Alma then sent Krenek's score to the conductor Willem Mengelberg, one of Mahler's most loyal and insightful champions, who prepared his own version, enlarging the orchestra and making several changes in expression and tempo markings. Mengelberg has been criticised for this, but the readings of a conductor who understood Mahler so well – at a time when few others did – have to be worth hearing, at the very least."

staxomega

If such a thing is possible, I have too many recordings of Debussy's String Quartet so this is a nice change of programming.

JBS

This is really a "no date set, but it will be released eventually" post---

Yuja Wang is performing both Shostakovich piano concertos this weekend with the BSO, Andris Nelsons conducting. The program for the concerts includes a "please be quiet" note stating DG is recording them for future release.

[Seen on Twitter]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Bachtoven

Quote from: JBS on October 01, 2022, 06:31:28 PM
This is really a "no date set, but it will be released eventually" post---

Yuja Wang is performing both Shostakovich piano concertos this weekend with the BSO, Andris Nelsons conducting. The program for the concerts includes a "please be quiet" note stating DG is recording them for future release.

[Seen on Twitter]
I'm hearing her play the world premiere of Magnus Lindberg's new piano concerto written for her on October 13th in San Francisco (Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts). I certainly I hope I see a "please be quiet" note for that concert! Actually, I attended a concert of Mahler conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas many years that was being recorded for the SFO's label. He had us practice holding our applause until he completely lowered his baton!

Mandryka

Now streaming at a streaming place near you. Sounds cool.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on October 02, 2022, 09:55:29 AM
I'm hearing her play the world premiere of Magnus Lindberg's new piano concerto written for her on October 13th in San Francisco (Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts). I certainly I hope I see a "please be quiet" note for that concert! Actually, I attended a concert of Mahler conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas many years that was being recorded for the SFO's label. He had us practice holding our applause until he completely lowered his baton!
;D :laugh:

Has the ML concerto been recorded yet?  Or any plans in the works?  I do love his clarinet concerto.

PD

p.s.  Do you know if it was (or will be) broadcast over a radio station?
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2022, 12:41:42 PM

Has the ML concerto been recorded yet?  Or any plans in the works?  I do love his clarinet concerto.

PD

Well, it hasn't been performed yet, so a recording is unlikely! :) I would imagine at some point it will be recorded. KDFC streams SF concerts on the following Thursday, so that would be October 20th. https://www.kdfc.com/radio/on-demand/san-francisco-symphony-on-demand/

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 01, 2022, 06:17:17 AM
MORE NOVEMBER RELEASES

Elsewhere on the forum people are already listening to this.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on October 01, 2022, 06:17:17 AM
MORE NOVEMBER RELEASES

I got the Clementi/Kim disc years ago, exactly the same cover.  ;D

Despite the "New" title it's actually Brahms - Sonata No. 1 and variations Opp. 9 and 18b

The "New Paths"  title is very apt, being a direct allusion to Schumann's famous "Neue Bahnen" article he wrote in 1853, after Brahms played his first (actually published as the second; not the one on this recording) Piano Sonata in Schumann's house.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on February 14, 2022, 08:08:35 AM
It looks like Naxos fixed its tech issues so new image releases should be displaying properly again? Let's try it.

APRIL

I like Bavouzet 482! Just a really reflective and nuanced, intelligent anti-virtuosic interpretation in a warhorse where it's not easy to stand out.

Mandryka

vandermolen

This is a very dangerous thread! Malipiero, Weinberg, VW, Sibelius's 'The Tempest' (Kamu) etcetc  ???
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on October 02, 2022, 02:36:29 PM
Well, it hasn't been performed yet, so a recording is unlikely! :) I would imagine at some point it will be recorded. KDFC streams SF concerts on the following Thursday, so that would be October 20th. https://www.kdfc.com/radio/on-demand/san-francisco-symphony-on-demand/
Thanks for the info; I'll put it on my calendar.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bachtoven on October 02, 2022, 09:55:29 AM
I'm hearing her play the world premiere of Magnus Lindberg's new piano concerto written for her on October 13th in San Francisco (Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts)

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2022, 12:41:42 PM

PD

That's a tasty clarinet concerto!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on April 30, 2022, 11:45:47 AM

2022 is turning out to have a lot of intriguing releases.

I think the Golkhovaya is worth a chance, even if only once.  It's good to know what it is so that if ever the memory of it returns and haunts,  you can revisit.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2022, 02:36:31 PM
That's a tasty clarinet concerto!
The only recording of it that I am familiar with is the one with Kari Kriikku.  Out of curiosity, do you know whether or not other any other artists have now recorded it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: The new erato on May 29, 2022, 01:06:15 AM
I really do love this disc:

The new one is better I think, better singing and better sound.