New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on November 18, 2022, 06:17:11 PMWonder who did the orchestrations for the Goerne Schubert album because that could be really good.

The Clara Schumann piano concerto is simply not good enough to justify this many recordings and live performances (the Dallas Symphony did it a few weeks ago). She was only 14 years old, and the work is quite formulaic and stiff except for the strangely beautiful slow trio for piano, solo cello, and timpani. I suspect a fundamental laziness by concert promoters and record labels, going for the famous, marketable "brand name" rather than looking through the rest of history for a work by a woman (or commissioning a new one).

Agreed, though like you say the slow movement is quite beautiful. There are many more interesting PCs by female composers IMO which rarely get performed/recorded (Beach, Gipps, Bacewicz, Garūta, Levina, Auster, etc).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Daverz

Quote from: Todd on November 25, 2022, 12:35:33 PM

We need a Dohnanyi in Cleveland box now.  Unfortunately, that legacy is split between Warner and Decca.

Todd

I don't typically search DGs digital only releases, but it looks like DG has started recording young local artist Elisabeth Brauß.  There's also a Brahms release.  A good sign.

There's also a release from a more seasoned performer:

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Quote from: Daverz on November 29, 2022, 08:20:20 AMWe need a Dohnanyi in Cleveland box now.  Unfortunately, that legacy is split between Warner and Decca.
Not to mention Telarc.

Symphonic Addict

I didn't know that Walter had written a string quartet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2022, 05:52:09 PMI didn't know that Walter had written a string quartet.

I quite liked his Symphony and am looking forward to hearing his chamber music.

Todd

O.M.G.  Two discs.  Played on a 1905 Pleyel.  I'm calling a 2023 purchase of the year already.

Vinyl.  In case you want to pay a premium for a twenty year old recording.

Also, no image yet, but the complete recordings of the Fitzwilliam Quartet is in the hopper.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on December 02, 2022, 04:57:08 AMSchiff seeking new paths:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/j-s-bach-clavichord/hnum/11092435

Clavichord is all the rage at the mo. Even John Tilbury has bought one and he is planning some more releases with it  - not Bach though. Skempton.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2022, 05:52:09 PMI didn't know that Walter had written a string quartet.

The Spohr clarinet concertos piques my interest, but I already own the sets w/ Michael Collins on Hyperion and Karl Leister on Orfeo (he plays a 'German' clarinet), both MI versions - anyone aware of performances on PIs?  Dave :)

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on November 19, 2022, 09:14:49 AMTitelouze is now on Spotify, https://open.spotify.com/album/0UNQW9CxzncEy8vN0F2kzi
I have to say I am a little disappointed - while the organ sounds very well in this sort of music and Leon Berben makes interesting sounds with it, his playing comes off a little fussy and drags a bit imo. But it is something that I can see myself growing to like.

This arrived to me at last. I'm also a bit disappointed for the same reasons as you, and I would add that I think this music should be played a little more straightforward. Berben seems to be so occupied with the details that the great lines are drowned in details, as if he can't see the wood for the trees. Also I find his registrations interesting but a bit overthought and not allways well suited to the music. He may be an acquired taste, I'm not sure.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on December 03, 2022, 08:39:06 AMThis arrived to me at last. I'm also a bit disappointed for the same reasons as you, and I would add that I think this music should be played a little more straightforward. Berben seems to be so occupied with the details that the great lines are drowned in details, as if he can't see the wood for the trees. Also I find his registrations interesting but a bit overthought and not allways well suited to the music. He may be an acquired taste, I'm not sure.

I reacted like this to the Bull and grew to like it, and in fact I sense the same mindset in the Titelouze as the thinking which guided his Bull. There's something about what he does which makes the music sound particularly interesting contrapuntally.

I'm not totally convinced I like the organ, but I may come round.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kyjo

Some interesting-looking stuff from Sterling:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

Quote from: Todd on December 02, 2022, 05:59:28 AMO.M.G.  Two discs.  Played on a 1905 Pleyel.  I'm calling a 2023 purchase of the year already.

Also, no image yet, but the complete recordings of the Fitzwilliam Quartet is in the hopper.
Wow, for sure. I will buy the FFG double album immediately.

Fitzwilliam image came in now:

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on December 03, 2022, 06:02:17 PMFitzwilliam image came in now:

I see quite a lot of Shostakovich, which I already have.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on December 03, 2022, 06:12:26 PMI see quite a lot of Shostakovich, which I already have.

If I count it correctly, 8 CDs of DSCH, half of the box.
I have their cycle already, like you. But I have to admit it's my least favorite DSCH cycle: never clicked with me.

But a lot of people seem to like it so this may be a good way to get it if you don't have it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roy Bland

IMHO is interesting comparison between anatolian and caucasian folk music

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2022, 01:25:45 AMShouldn't it be Four-Hand instead of Four-Hands?

"Piano Four-Hands" is a general term for these sorts of pieces. I honestly don't know what you should do if you try to add the word "Sonatas" at the end!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Composer(s):
Sir Richard Rodney Bennet (1936-2012): concerto for Stan Getz.
Dave C. Heath (1965)JacobTV (1951)Adam Caird (1977)Artist(s):

Jeroen Vanbever - sax
Lucas Heytens - piano
Casco Phil