New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Does anybody know what happened to the Ansermet Decca Big Box? "The Stereo Years," was supposed to come out in May 2022 but appears to have never made it to market. I wonder if there were technical/logistical difficulties.

Anyway here is another Biggish Box on the way...I seem to vaguely remember this popping up before, (EDIT: Yes, definitely, there was a discussion about the 4 CDs of Peter & the Wolf duplications). But it has now been delayed and rescheduled for March.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on December 19, 2022, 06:07:36 PMDoes anybody know what happened to the Ansermet Decca Big Box? "The Stereo Years," was supposed to come out in May 2022 but appears to have never made it to market. I wonder if there were technical/logistical difficulties.

Amazon France shows a February 3, 2023 release.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

Todd

Eschenbach conducting Schreker.  Yes, please.

Roy Bland

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Oh hell yeah.

Oh hell yeah, part two.

Symphonic Addict

Another interesting release from Dux:
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 27, 2022, 12:02:44 PM

Nice! I've really enjoyed what I've heard of Nowowiejski's music so far (Symphonies 2 and 3 and the choral/orchestral work Folk Paintings). Also, major kudos to conductor Lukasz Borowicz for doing yeoman's work recently for so much unknown music, both Polish and otherwise! What's more, his interpretations are usually fully convincing and excellent.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 28, 2022, 08:27:54 PMNice! I've really enjoyed what I've heard of Nowowiejski's music so far (Symphonies 2 and 3 and the choral/orchestral work Folk Paintings). Also, major kudos to conductor Lukasz Borowicz for doing yeoman's work recently for so much unknown music, both Polish and otherwise! What's more, his interpretations are usually fully convincing and excellent.

Agreed once again. I'm aware that Nowowiejski is too little known on these places. By him I also know his powerful oratorio Quo Vadis (it has some echoes of Berlioz), and the ballet King of the Winds, whose opening has a strong similarity with that of Bruckner's Te Deum.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Some more FEBRUARY releases from Naxos:

The Edward German disc is a reissue of a 1994 Marco Polo album.

The Rubinstein preludes and etudes are substantially longer than similar works by, say, Chopin - only 6 preludes and 8 etudes on a disc totaling 85 minutes!

Catison

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2022, 06:31:29 AM

Luisi's Inextinguishable appears to be rather slow: 36:31, compared to Gilbert (36:00), Oramo (35:26), Kuchar (34:00), or Martinon (32:44).

Did you get a chance to listen to this?  This is one of the most muscular readings of the 4th I have heard.  And the same feeling of raw power is in the 5th as well.  I'm really enjoying the cycle so far.
-Brett

Florestan

Quote from: Catison on December 30, 2022, 07:05:42 AMDid you get a chance to listen to this?  This is one of the most muscular readings of the 4th I have heard.  And the same feeling of raw power is in the 5th as well.  I'm really enjoying the cycle so far.

Woah hoah, Brett is back! Excellent news! Welcome back, Brett!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Catison

Quote from: Florestan on December 30, 2022, 09:25:50 AMWoah hoah, Brett is back! Excellent news! Welcome back, Brett!

Yes, its good to be back, but I don't know how much time I will have to post.  Life is different than it was for me back in the 2005-2010 time frame when I was most active.
-Brett

Mandryka

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on December 31, 2022, 04:08:47 AM
It's okay. Not great, not as bad as his other recent Beethoven recordings.

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on December 31, 2022, 03:52:04 PMIt's okay. Not great, not as bad as his other recent Beethoven recordings.

I just think it's 'orrible music. I wish you well in 2023.

prémont

Quote from: amw on December 31, 2022, 03:52:04 PMIt's okay. Not great, not as bad as his other recent Beethoven recordings.

It's difficult to imagine him being able to improve his interpretation compared to his earlier recording.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 01, 2023, 11:21:52 AMI just think it's 'orrible music. 

Well, tastes differ.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν