New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2023, 07:24:14 AMPresto Music now says the Ansermet Stereo Big Box is coming on April 28. So it will be a whole year late!

This keeps up, it may overtake the new Sony Complete Casals Edition, which has been promised and had delivery dates moved for what, five or ten years.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

milk

Quote from: jimsumner on January 24, 2023, 03:05:39 PMThank you for the verse of reason. Most pictures of George Harrison show him smoking. Way  cool. Until he died of lung cancer. The last thing I expected to see on this board was a glamorization of injesting an addictive carcinogen.

And yes, I have lost loved ones to smoking-induced lung cancer.
Quote from: Madiel on January 24, 2023, 01:03:33 AMNo, because enough people these days are aware of the minor detail of how inhaling burning tobacco tends to kill you.
You don't inhale when you smoke a pipe. This is off-topic. Way off. Pipe smoking may not be healthy but let's leave the topic at least from a factual basis. Pipe smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. It may increase risk of other types of cancer depending on certain factors. Sorry for going off topic. There are many risks in life.

Madiel

Quote from: milk on January 25, 2023, 01:56:31 PMYou don't inhale when you smoke a pipe. This is off-topic. Way off. Pipe smoking may not be healthy but let's leave the topic at least from a factual basis. Pipe smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. It may increase risk of other types of cancer depending on certain factors. Sorry for going off topic. There are many risks in life.

It does cause lung cancer. Here's some facts for you. https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/96/11/853/2520796?login=false

As to the point that you don't inhale, think about what the point of the exercise is. The nicotine has to get into your system somehow for there to be any effect. The technique is different, yes, but the aim of the exercise is for a drug to get into your body.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

The Kvandal piqued my curiosity.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on January 25, 2023, 02:02:09 PMIt does cause lung cancer. Here's some facts for you. https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/96/11/853/2520796?login=false

As to the point that you don't inhale, think about what the point of the exercise is. The nicotine has to get into your system somehow for there to be any effect. The technique is different, yes, but the aim of the exercise is for a drug to get into your body.

My father smoked a pipe. Too late he was diagnosed with Emphysema. I doubt there is a worse way to die, fighting for every breath with the thought that the next will be the last. The only good thing to come from it was seeing the suffering of my father I stopped smoking myself.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

I couldn't find better resolutions of these images.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Can't remember if this was posted before.

Here's something you don't see every day.

I hope that one day Beethoven's music is recorded frequently enough.

Brian

Complete Piano Sonatas
Composer(s):   Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Artist(s):   Yeol Eum Son
Label:   NAÏVE (NVV)

March 31

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 27, 2023, 06:41:28 AMComplete Piano Sonatas
Composer(s):    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Artist(s):    Yeol Eum Son
Label:    NAÏVE (NVV)

March 31

Holy shit.

Calling purchase of the year now. 

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/06/000155260.pdf

Seems really nice actually -- calm and expressive and full of a sense that he cares about this music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/07/000153670.pdf

Quelle horreur! Cello played with the same vibe as gypsy violin -- piano like it's Liszt or something. Yuck!

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/89/000154798.pdf

Clearly essential listening for me. First track sounds wonderful and the booklet essay looks fun.

Mandryka

May be worth a shot.

Mandryka

Inspired by the visit of the King of the Romans to the palace of Henry IV on The Thames in Greenwich, sounds cool.

Mandryka

A Chopin potpourri inspired by the pianist's encounter with a rather big 1905 Pleyel, includes op 58.

Another Chopin potpourri including op 58. The pianist says some intelligent things about the sonata in the booklet.

Brian

More LATE MARCH RELEASES

"The composer Constantin Regamey, born in Kiev in 1907, is little known. A Swiss of Polish descent, he was also a pianist, music critic and writer, who was appointed lecturer in Indian philology at Warsaw University in 1936. He joined the Polish Resistance in 1942 and it was at this time that he wrote his Quintet for clarinet, bassoon, violin, cello and piano."

Mozart No. 19 / K. 465 / "Dissonance"
Tchaikovsky No. 1
Soo Yeon Lyuh (b. 1980) "Yessori (Sound from the Past)"

This is a 9-minute work originally written for the Kronos Quartet. Despite being all-Korean, the quartet here is based in Germany, where they have studied with members of the Artemis and Kuss Quartets.

Brian

MORE FOR MARCH

This Sinbad piece is somehow fully 80 minutes long, for solo guitar. It's divided into 21 tracks depicting all of his adventures.

This oddity is 9 of the original collection of orchestral Wunderhorn songs (minus "Verlor'ne Müh," "Trost im Unglück," "Wer hat dies Liedlein erdacht?"), plus "Der Tamboursg'sell," Blumine, and the scherzo from Symphony No. 1, arranged for baritone, two oboes (one doubling English horn), two clarinets, two bassoons, French horn, double bass, and field drum.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 28, 2023, 01:49:38 PM

First glimpse of predicted perfection.  I will be preordering this one.

Quote from: Brian on January 28, 2023, 01:49:38 PM

Could be interesting.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on January 28, 2023, 01:53:25 PMCould be interesting.
The cello prelude cycle is great. This one is 53' and is some sort of specialty Naxos Denmark production.