New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on June 02, 2023, 06:03:02 AMIt does, I didn't realise she'd recorded so much Bach, for example.

Is this Europa Disc?
Cheers

Holden

Roy Bland

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on May 21, 2023, 07:33:44 AMJULY STUFF

This sounds like it would be quite interesting to hear.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

I'm not liking Dacapo's cover arts. Too much simple, with little creativity.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

For the first time, the Pittsburgh/Honeck team on Reference Recordings is producing a disc that sounds like a real loser. The coupling piece is an orchestration by Honeck and collaborator Tomas Ille of Schulhoff's Five Pieces for String Quartet. And the main piece is Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony - which Pittsburgh/Honeck have already released on a CD from the Exton label in 2011. How much has his interpretation changed in 12 years? Do we really need a new one?

Exton track timings: 14:15 / 13:33 / 5:36 / 12:41 (including applause)
Reference track timings: 14:08 / 13:21 / 5:37 / 12:11

(I own the old one and think it is pretty darn good but not an all-timer. Maybe a B+/A-.)

Of greater interest, maybe:

Todd

Quote from: Brian on June 06, 2023, 06:56:18 PMFor the first time, the Pittsburgh/Honeck team on Reference Recordings is producing a disc that sounds like a real loser. The coupling piece is an orchestration by Honeck and collaborator Tomas Ille of Schulhoff's Five Pieces for String Quartet. And the main piece is Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony - which Pittsburgh/Honeck have already released on a CD from the Exton label in 2011. How much has his interpretation changed in 12 years? Do we really need a new one?

Exton track timings: 14:15 / 13:33 / 5:36 / 12:41 (including applause)
Reference track timings: 14:08 / 13:21 / 5:37 / 12:11

(I own the old one and think it is pretty darn good but not an all-timer. Maybe a B+/A-.)

This intrigues me.  I dig the Schulhoff in its original form, so a scaled up version could be fun.  I do not have Honeck's earlier Tchaikovsky 5, and while a new version is hardly a priority, it couldn't hurt.  At least not too much.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

It could be that Exton is so hard to source, they wanted to do it again for easier public availability. In which case we might get new Mahler 1/3/4...

Brian

The Fischer is a 2004 reissue with Khachaturian, Glazunov, and Prokofiev 1.

Naxos just uploaded the Honeck Tchaikovsky booklet to its sales server, and although Honeck wrote a 12-page essay about the symphony, he never once mentions the previous recording or why he is re-recording the piece.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on June 07, 2023, 06:06:32 AMIn which case we might get new Mahler 1/3/4...

I'm down with that idea.

Todd

Looks like Eloquence will be releasing a complete Ancerl DG recordings edition and a Kathleen Battle Edition.  No images yet, at least that I could find.

JBS

Quote from: Todd on June 09, 2023, 03:50:04 PMLooks like Eloquence will be releasing a complete Ancerl DG recordings edition and a Kathleen Battle Edition.  No images yet, at least that I could find.

What did Ancerl record for DG?
I only remember seeing Supraphon recordings. Amazon only shows a Dvorak Requiem, and a DSCH 10/Stravinsky VC on DG, for a grand total of 3 CDs.
It also shows this.

Which brings the total to 6.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

In addition to the Shosty 10 and I think another choral/vocal album, there were several co-productions where DG and Supraphon shared rights. So there may be some things in the Supraphon edition included.

JBS

Update.
Found a listing at an outfit called ProperMusic, of whom I've never heard of before.

DG Blurb with Tracklisting
QuoteFORMAT: 9CD

Release Date:  14 July 2023

Description
A Czech maestro in his element: the complete Philips and Deutsche Grammophon albums of Karel Ancerl collected as a single edition to mark the 50th anniversary of his death (3 July 1973).

Karel Ancerl made most of his recordings behind the Iron Curtain for the Supraphon label, as chief conductor of the Czech Philharmonic between 1950 and 1968.

However, as the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra began to tour abroad, Ancerl's own reputation rose with them, and he accepted invitations to lead orchestras across Europe and the US.

Deutsche Grammophon recorded the Czech Philharmonic and Ancerl while they were on a tour of Germany in 1955, and international listeners discovered the 'Ancerl style' - taut, with clean lines, yet always an eloquent singing quality to the melodies - as it applied to the Tenth Symphony of Shostakovich.

The mono LP set the standard for recorded versions of the symphony in years to come.

So did the subsequent DG recording, made in Prague, of the Requiem by Dvorak.

Though the cast of solo singers is German, featuring Maria Stader on the top line, the burning passion of the performance as a whole is inimitably Czech.

Ancerl was an equally superb Stravinskian, and his DG recording of the Violin Concerto complements his Supraphon legacy of the ballets and vocal works.

In the spring of 1958, Ancerl made several albums with the Wiener Symphoniker, which had become a 'house band' for Philips.

The demonstration-quality engineering of the Dutch label complemented the conductor's intensely dramatic approach to Dvorak (the Ninth Symphony), Smetana (Vltava) and a collection of Tchaikovsky including ballet suites, the 1812 Overture and the Fourth Symphony.

Preserving the original coupling of Dvorak's Op.

46 Slavonic Dances, we have the first official CD/Digital release of Tibor Paul's recording of seven of Brahms's Hungarian Dances.

Ancerl brought to Czech and Russian repertoire in particular an old-school authority balanced by a warmth and even a vulnerability that seems to reflect his own temperament.

His DG and Philips legacy captures him on top form, and this edition evokes the spirit of the time with original covers and a new essay by Peter Quantrill exploring Ancerl's life, his rocky relationship with the Czech Philharmonic and the background to these recordings.

This set contains a 'bonus' by way of Tibor Paul's recording of seven of Brahms's Hungarian Dances, in its first official CD release - the original coupling forAncerl's recording of the Op.
46 set of Slavonic Dances by Dvorak.

1. TCHAIKOVSKY Swan Lake: Suite; The Sleeping Beauty: Suite
2.1. TCHAIKOVSKY The Nutcracker: Suite; Waltz from Serenade for Strings; Romeo and Juliet; Marche slave
3.1. TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Overture; Symphony No. 4
4.1. DVORAK Symphony No. 9
4.2. SMETANA Vltava
5.1. DVORAK 8 Slavonic Dances, Op. 46
5.2. BRAHMS 7 Hungarian Dances* (*Tibor Paul)
6.1. CDs 6 & 7 DVORAK Requiem
7.1. STRAVINSKY Violin Concerto (Wolfgang Schneiderhan)
7.5. PROKOFIEV Violin Sonata No. 2

The Stravinsky/Prokofiev is presumably a misnumbered CD 8, which leaves CD 9 unaccounted for.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Atriod

Quote from: Brian on June 07, 2023, 06:06:32 AMIt could be that Exton is so hard to source, they wanted to do it again for easier public availability. In which case we might get new Mahler 1/3/4...

Honeck hasn't recorded Mahler in some time and it's scantily programmed in Pittsburgh. Since going part time I have wanted to travel to see it but nada. Since Reference Recordings transitioned to Fresh! all their Mahler has been from the other Fischer (or the other other Fischer  ;D ).

As for Exton availability that rings true for me, it's rare for me to make blind buys without streaming first which they can't be.

Symphonic Addict

Content:

Ludi Symphoniaci
Variations on the Theme of Bohuslav Martinů
The Spectre's Bride
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Works for organ and orchestra.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Jan Novak has been an incredible discovery (hat tip Daverz) so that sounds exciting!

vandermolen

Looks interesting:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).