New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2024, 06:32:26 AMOtomh I can't think of any other pianist who has Goyescas split over two discs.

So? 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2024, 06:32:26 AMOtomh I can't think of any other pianist who has Goyescas split over two discs.
My guess is it's because he also split Iberia in half and the idea is to make everybody buy two CDs.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on March 09, 2024, 08:42:04 AMMy guess is it's because he also split Iberia in half and the idea is to make everybody buy two CDs.

Hah!  ;D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on March 09, 2024, 08:42:04 AMMy guess is it's because he also split Iberia in half

Imho, Iberia can be split in half, or quarter, or simply individual pieces without any loss but Goyescas is a much more coherent suite and splitting it damages its musical and aesthetic purpose. (And yes, I'm well aware that the two books are separated by two years.)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 09, 2024, 08:42:04 AMMy guess is it's because he also split Iberia in half and the idea is to make everybody buy two CDs.

That's the blindingly obvious part. 

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 09, 2024, 09:06:13 AMThat's the blindingly obvious part.

See, that's the difference between us: you think first and foremost in terms of money, I think first and foremost in terms of art...  ;D  >:D  :P

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2024, 09:10:09 AMSee, that's the difference between us: you think first and foremost in terms of money, I think first and foremost in terms of art...  ;D  >:D  :P

And that's why it is a very good thing that GMG posters are not involved with running record companies.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 09, 2024, 09:13:40 AMAnd that's why it is a very good thing that GMG posters are not involved with running record companies.

No argument from me here.

Bachtoven

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2024, 08:58:23 AMAnd yes, I'm well aware that the two books are separated by two years

I think there's at least merit in recognising that. If it wasn't genuinely designed as a single work.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 08, 2024, 06:43:49 AMI think that he had a more catholic taste than he is sometimes given credit for. I enjoy his Rachmaninov (Symphony No.3) and Sibelius (Tone Poems) recordings.

Not to forget all four Brahms symphonies and an excellent Schubert 'Great'.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Kiri Te Kanawa - Complete Philips & Decca Recordings
Release Date: 7th Jun 2024
Catalogue No: 4870009
Label: Decca
23 CDs
$180.50 (this is the Presto price)

Que

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on March 12, 2024, 02:00:37 PM

Interesting as well! I'll definitely give that recording a (virtual) spin.

Mandryka

Quote from: jlopes on March 14, 2024, 11:10:40 AMOnly six and a half years years late...................... released in September 1, 2017. And I thought it was annoying enough to see some posts with records published in this very same thread weeks or months ago. Sigh.

Wrong thread! I shall move it forthwith. Have you heard it? What do you think of it if you have?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Amazon US has pushed the Andras Schiff box all the way back to December 31, 2024.

akebergv

Quote from: Brian on March 14, 2024, 05:43:10 PMAmazon US has pushed the Andras Schiff box all the way back to December 31, 2024.

December 31 is just a placeholder date. It will be available in May in Europe and I would think not that much later in the US.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 14, 2024, 05:43:10 PMAmazon US has pushed the Andras Schiff box all the way back to December 31, 2024.

Whenever it is released, patience will be rewarded.  I own pretty much all the solo stuff, some of the chamber stuff including the killer Haydn Piano Trios, and most of the lieder I care about.  It's high-grade stuff.

Among the things I don't own, the item of most interest, by several orders of magnitude, is the complete LvB Violin Sonatas with Sandor Vegh.  The box lists this as the first international CD and digital release.  I will patiently wait for the download to become available.