New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

AUGUST

"The Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège, led by Gergely Madaras, presents the original, purely instrumental version of the Faust Symphony from 1854."

"'The five pieces featured on this recording are the result of an extended fascination and confrontation with Shakespeare's Hamlet', writes Brett Dean in his introductory text, going on to explain that the intention of this programme is to be 'a sonic exploration of the spaces, atmospheres and archetypes of emotion and character in which, and through which, the tragedy of Hamlet unfolds'. These works derive, each in its own way, from an opera, Dean's take on the topic of Hamlet, premièred in 2017.

"And once I played Ophelia for soprano and strings focuses on the often-misjudged character of Ophelia. Rooms of Elsinore for viola and piano, here played by the composer on the viola, feels like a drone flying over the castle of Helsingør, the play's supposed setting, moving from room to room. Gertrude Fragments for mezzo-soprano and guitar appears like a tribute to the art of lute songs – which are contemporary with Shakespeare – and centres on the complex character of Hamlet's mother, Gertrude. Examining the monologue of Hamlet's remorseful uncle Claudius, Confessio for bass clarinet solo explores the possibilities of the instrument. Finally, The Players, a concerto for accordion and small orchestra, revisits the players' scenes from the first act of Dean's opera."

Contents (alpha by composer NOT in track order):
Chopin, Frederic
Polonaise no.3 in A major, op.40 no.1 'Military'
Polonaise no.4 in C minor, op.40 no.2

Liakhovych, Artem
Postludes (24) 'War Notebook'
» no.2 in F major
» no.3 in G minor
» no.4 in B flat major
» no.5 in C minor
» no.6 in E flat major
» no.7 in F minor
» no.8 in A flat major

Narodytska, Maria
After

Shostakovich, Dmitri
Piano Sonata no.2 in B minor, op.61

Szymanowski, Karol
Masques (3), op.34

reissue of a 1979 recording

-

Complete works listings for the Firkusny and Orozco boxes from Australian Eloquence:
https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/241585/Rudolf_Firkusny_Edition.htm
https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/241584/Rafael_Orozco:_The_Philips_Legacy.htm

-

One JULY issue that I didn't see before...

Todd

Quote from: Brian on June 29, 2024, 11:47:03 AM

At least on record, Clara Schumann appears to be either core rep or nearly core rep.  I have some Sung-Won Yang playing her music in my queue, as it happens . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

Mookalafalas

These were mentioned, but I don't think the pictures were put up. Both very classy, old school...

It's all good...

Roy Bland

steve ridgway

Quote from: Brian on June 29, 2024, 11:47:03 AM

reissue of a 1979 recording

Music for prostitutes? :o

Todd

Classical music covers inch closer to Blue Steel.

Hmmm.

Hmmm, again.

Todd

Expecting good things here.

Holden

Surely that is some sort of period instrument that Sivelov is using or it's the worst piano I've ever heard. Whatever the case it sounds terrible.
Cheers

Holden

Brian

Quote from: Holden on July 06, 2024, 03:24:16 PMSurely that is some sort of period instrument that Sivelov is using or it's the worst piano I've ever heard. Whatever the case it sounds terrible.

Thank you for pointing this out, yes, it is a replica of a Graf fortepiano (per his record label's website). I happen to like the sound of Grafs - my favorite recordings of them feature Penelope Crawford - so I'll check it out.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2024, 04:14:58 PMThank you for pointing this out, yes, it is a replica of a Graf fortepiano (per his record label's website). I happen to like the sound of Grafs - my favorite recordings of them feature Penelope Crawford - so I'll check it out.

Shame he didn't use one for his fancy wedding cake of a WTC2.

Listening to the Gomez-Moran Liszt now, it may well be worth getting to know.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

Oistrakh travel

Brian

LATE AUGUST

The Lviv Orchestra was able to leave Ukraine and record this performance with Bell in Warsaw.

"The repertoire on this album became the motivating factor for the entire Thomas de Hartmann Orchestral Project, for which this album is the fourth out of likely six." - project executive producer Efrem Marder

Notice the line "Dalia Stasevska appears courtesy of Platoon." Platoon is the music rights/releases subsidiary of Apple, which now owns the label that released her previous albums, BIS Records.

Mookalafalas

apparently there is a larger Oistrakh in the works...
It's all good...

Todd

I believe this was mentioned earlier, and here's the cover image.

This was no doubt thought a clever title by some people.

At the right price, this seems like something to consider.

In the shitty AI cover image reissue arena:

I mean, come on.

I didn't know William Holden made a movie where he played a conductor.

Hey, wait a minute!  Richter is ripping off the title from Hunter Noack!

Mr Noack is a local yokel, seen here hovering above the Columbia out in the Gorge, and he named his outdoor concert series "In a Landscape".  Legal action must be taken!

Mirror Image

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I can easily see what I can or cannot do without.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on July 11, 2024, 01:03:38 PM

Exciting issue - La Ritirata is one of my favourite ensembles in Boccherini!

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on July 11, 2024, 05:33:05 AMapparently there is a larger Oistrakh in the works...

Definitely buying this! Contents listed here but not detailed on release date/label/accompanists

And also this:

Cleveland Orchestra & Christoph Von Dohnányi - Christoph Von Dohnányi: The Cleveland Years (40 CD) (Limited Edition)
(someone at Steve Hoffman manually assembled a list of the included albums)

More big boxes coming this fall:
Paavo Jarvi - The Complete Erato Recordings (31CDs) (not sure what he did for them?! I only knew of the Shostakovich cantata disc but it looks like he was a big accompanist to concertos and did some Orchestre de Paris choral music)
William Christie - The Complete Erato Recordings (61CDs)

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2024, 05:46:59 PMDefinitely buying this! Contents listed here but not detailed on release date/label/accompanists

European release date is 18 October 2024. Since it's Warner, I suppose that means it will get to the USA sometime before the end of 2025.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk