New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: traverso on April 28, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
It looks like someone has decided to take over the label.  New website: www.arcana.eu

AntoineMarchand was ahead on posting that.  :) But I guess we agree that it is very good news. I need some more ARCANA issues and can't wait for their reappearance. :D

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 28, 2009, 10:46:25 PM
I need some more ARCANA issues and can't wait for their reappearance. :D

I personally think Bernstein did better work in his previous Astree-Auvidis period.  But who doesn't need more new issues and reissues?  ;)

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: traverso on April 29, 2009, 02:48:51 AM
I personally think Bernstein did better work in his previous Astree-Auvidis period.  But who doesn't need more new issues and reissues?  ;)

Well, now you mention Astrée-Audivis: they have a notoriously bad track record on reissuing... ::)

So, I'm also looking forward to many reissues by them as well! 8)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 29, 2009, 10:21:00 AM
Well, now you mention Astrée-Audivis: they have a notoriously bad track record on reissuing... ::)

Of course because Astrée-Audivis is officially dead - their back catalogue was purchased by Naive, who seems rather naive about its reselling value... ;D

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: traverso on April 29, 2009, 07:51:45 PM
Of course because Astrée-Audivis is officially dead - their back catalogue was purchased by Naive, who seems rather naive about its reselling value... ;D

Indeed. Naïve does great work with Opus 111 for instance, but in handling the back catalogue they're idiots... ::)

Maybe they should pass it over to Brilliant - they'll know what to do with it. 8) SELL it for example. ::)

Q

Brian

Naxos have just released their June CD list, and I am somewhat amazed to see two odd transcriptions featured: Beethoven's Second Symphony arranged by the composer for piano trio, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons arranged for solo piano by the pianist (Jeffrey Biegel). I'm pretty sure the former will sound wonderful, but the latter is not a recording I look forward to.

Unfortunately an error on their webpage prevents the full list from showing.

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on April 30, 2009, 08:20:11 AM
Naxos have just released their June CD list, and I am somewhat amazed to see two odd transcriptions featured: Beethoven's Second Symphony arranged by the composer for piano trio, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons arranged for solo piano by the pianist (Jeffrey Biegel). I'm pretty sure the former will sound wonderful, but the latter is not a recording I look forward to.

Unfortunately an error on their webpage prevents the full list from showing.

Indeed, the Beethoven is quite good. (Duh, Duh, Duh, DUUH!)

As for the Vivaldi, I remember Manuel, classical music uploader extraordinaire, once sent me a link a to a live performance of Argerich performing the transcriptions. It beats me why I never downloaded them. I've to thank you for reminding me about it. :) 
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Drat! I've just visited Norbert Kraft's YouTube channel and now I'm looking forward to the CD releases of this and this!

Brian

In October (?) pianist Alexandre Tharaud will release his first CD on Virgin, a Chopin recital. :)

I'm also looking forward to the release of Simon Rattle's Brahms symphonies cycle, not because I want to hear it, but because I anticipate David Hurwitz' venomous "1 out of 10" review.

Some September releases that could be awesome:

Check out this one:
QuoteSTOKOWSKI, LEOPOLD The Maverick Conductor. EMI Icon 10cds [preorder MDT: $35]
CD1
Bach/Stokowski: Orchestral Transcriptions

CD2
Bartók: Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta, Sz106 (1936)
Ibert: Escales
Martin: Petite Symphonie Concertante (1945)
Farberman: Evolution (part 1)
Persichetti: Divertimento for band – March

CD3
Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune; Trois Nocturnes
Suite bergamasque – Clair de lune; Images pour orchestre No. 2 – Ibéria

CD4
Shostakovich: Symphony No.11 in G minor, Op. 103 'The Year 1905'
Barber: Adagio for Strings

CD5
Holst: The Planets, Op. 32
Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht

CD6
Glière/Stokowski: Symphony No. 3 in B minor, Op. 42 'Ilya Murometz'
Stravinsky: Petrushka – Suite
The Firebird – Suite

CD7
Dukas: La Péri – Fanfare
Turina: La Oración del torero, Op. 34
Loeffler: A Pagan Poem, Op. 14
Ravel: Alborada del gracioso; Rapsodie espagnole
Sibelius: Four Legends, Op. 22 – The Swan of Tuonela; Finlandia, Op.2 6

CD8
Orff: Carmina Burana
Strauss: Suite in B flat for Wind Instruments, Op. 4 – Gavotte
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 8 in D minor – Scherzo
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36 – Scherzo
Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition – The Hut on Fowl's Legs; The Great Gate of Kiev

CD9
Respighi: Pini di Roma
Khachaturian: Symphony No. 2 "The Bell'
Frescobaldi: Gagliarda
Palestrina/Stokowski: Adoramus te Christe, motet for 4 voices

CD10
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 1, Op. 10; Prelude & Fugue for piano No.14 in E flat minor, Op. 87
Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, Op. 29 – Entr' Acte
Bloch: Schelomo (Hebrew rhapsody for Cello & Orchestra)
Cesti/Stokowski: Tu mancavi a tormentarmi – arranged for strings & harp
Gabrielli/Stokowski: Sacrae Symphoniae No. 6 – Sonata pian e forte for 8 parts
Only thing I don't like is the bizarre "excerpt" quality of CD 8.

Also I see Roger Norrington is going to do a HIP, vibrato-free Bruckner 7. Barf!

MishaK

CSO Resound will be issuing a Mahler 2 with Haitink and a complete Stravinsky Pulcinella with Boulez in the near future, both of which I'm looking forward to as I attended both concerts from which the recordings will be made and they were terrific.

admiralackbar74

I'm very much looking forward to reading reviews of Pollini's Bach WTC I.

Bulldog

Quote from: admiralackbar74 on August 11, 2009, 11:48:56 AM

I'm very much looking forward to reading reviews of Pollini's Bach WTC I.

Now that's a set I'll have to get regardless of the reviews.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Bulldog

Quote from: Brian on August 06, 2009, 08:44:02 AM
In October (?) pianist Alexandre Tharaud will release his first CD on Virgin, a Chopin recital. :)

I'm also looking forward to the release of Simon Rattle's Brahms symphonies cycle, not because I want to hear it, but because I anticipate David Hurwitz' venomous "1 out of 10" review.

Some September releases that could be awesome:

The Beethoven set with Faust and Melnikov looks particularly enticing. 8)

The new erato

I see Harmonia Mundi have recorded Frank Martin's Golgotha. Event though I have the old Warner (probably erato) recording and am quite content with that, considering the superb quality of their recording of Le vin herbe (excuse the missing accents), this is something I look forward to with considerable pleasure. Martin's oratorios are something not to be missed and should be staples of any 20th century collection.

Brian

Naxos have just released some interesting news. They are in the process of recording a CD of rare and world-premiere piano pieces by the composition students of Frederic Chopin. The music is apparently not just carbon-copies of Mr. C: the composers include a Norwegian and a Romanian who brought their own folk dances to the salon, much as Chopin brought the mazurka. Full information here. Definitely a recording I anticipate quite a bit. :)

George

Quote from: Brian on August 14, 2009, 06:12:20 PM
Naxos have just released some interesting news. They are in the process of recording a CD of rare and world-premiere piano pieces by the composition students of Frederic Chopin. The music is apparently not just carbon-copies of Mr. C: the composers include a Norwegian and a Romanian who brought their own folk dances to the salon, much as Chopin brought the mazurka. Full information here. Definitely a recording I anticipate quite a bit. :)

VERY cool Brian. Thanks for the heads-up.  :)

I do hope he plays in a older, romantic style. If so, I'll be first in line for a copy.

The new erato

Naxos also are recording two discs with the Trondheim (Thomas Tellefsens birthtown BTW) Symphony Orchestra with music by Hjalmar Borgstrøm (unfortunately it is the symphonc poem The Thought which has been recorded before) and Irgens Jensen.

Brian

Yevgeny Sudbin returns with Rach 4, Medtner 2, and ... the North Carolina Symphony Orchestra? Sounds like one for Sonic Dave!

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on October 21, 2009, 12:12:05 PM
and ... the North Carolina Symphony Orchestra? Sounds like one for Sonic Dave!

How totally cool.  This is exactly what Alex Ross was referring to awhile back, in his tour of orchestras in the middle of the country - i.e., outside those in major metropolitan areas.  I'll bet the NC group sounds pretty good, and I've heard good things about Grant Llewellyn's work.

--Bruce

Mandryka

Two Haydn re-releases:

Symphonies 52, 60, 39, 73. Blum with the Esterhazy Orchestra. To be released January 2010. Pre-order from amazon.com

Qaurtets Opus 33, Apponyi-Quartett. Should have been re-released last week but it has been delayed. Pre-order from amazon.de
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen