New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Bulldog on February 14, 2012, 03:23:09 PMI don't see sex as a subtle activity; it's primitive and messy. 8)

Eh, it can be both. :)

Mandryka

Quote from: DavidW on February 14, 2012, 03:30:01 PM
The ending is what sticks in my mind most about that movie.  It's a pretty good sex scene though but forgettable, not risque for it's time but probably risque for now... we're such puritans! ;D

It depends what you mean by risque'.  I get very bored very quickly  by explicit sex scenes, by images of dicks pounding inside cunts and assholes and mouths. S and M is more interesting, but it's a different genre and it's unfair to compare it with what Roeg was trying to do.

I think the music in the scene is extremely evocative. In fact it's some of my favourite film music (another example would be some of the music in Rocco and his Brothers)

By the way I wasn't saying that sex is subtle. That's not what I think. I was saying that the film, the scene, subtly displays sex. The way clothes are used, that marvelous image of Donald Sutherland casting a glance at Julie Christie while she is in the bathroom. Or Donald Sutherland  drinking the whiskey. All thse things are marvelous touches IMO and add to the eroticism of the whole, for me. But they're subtle -- not just a dick in a cunt.

But most importantly, you can see that they're really turned on. And really affectionate.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DavidW

Quote from: Mandryka on February 15, 2012, 01:26:17 AM
By the way I wasn't saying that sex is subtle. That's not what I think. I was saying that the film, the scene, subtly displays sex. The way clothes are used, that marvelous image of Donald Sutherland casting a glance at Julie Christie while she is in the bathroom. Or Donald Sutherland  drinking the whiskey. All thse things are marvelous touches IMO and add to the eroticism of the whole, for me. But they're subtle -- not just a dick in a cunt.

But most importantly, you can see that they're really turned on. And really affectionate.

That's probably why many people thought it was the real deal.  Just superior cinematography and acting. :)

mc ukrneal

I have long been interested in this one, and now it is going to be dirt cheap once there are sales and such! I must hold firm! I must be resolute! I must be disciplined! I must...(sweating)....I must...(sweating more)...I must...oh no...
[asin]B006XOBFJC[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 16, 2012, 01:41:06 AM
I have long been interested in this one, and now it is going to be dirt cheap once there are sales and such! I must hold firm! I must be resolute! I must be disciplined! I must...(sweating)....I must...(sweating more)...I must...oh no...
[asin]B006XOBFJC[/asin]

O, common Neal this is easy to resist, for God sake, who wants Wagner in their collection, no one right?  :P :o ;D

jlaurson

It's a modern "singer's cycle", with the microphones giving clear precedence to the voices over the orchestra. Good singers, too... a last prestige-hooray of the GDR's "People-Owned" record industry.

Sergeant Rock

[asin]B006XOBFJC[/asin]

Son of a bitch...I'd hoped they wouldn't re-release that one cheap so I could avoid the temptation. I really don't need another Ring....but for 25 Euro? How can I say no?  :(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

The new erato

25 Eiuros where? 35 GBP on amazon.co.uk. Does anybody have a listing for all the releases in the latest bunch?

Sergeant Rock

Wanderer

Quote from: Opus106 on February 16, 2012, 05:52:35 AM
Prisoner of Wagner?

They're reworking the Geneva Conventions as we speak.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Wanderer on February 16, 2012, 06:11:28 AM

I fear it won't be soon enough to save me.

Sarge

Opus106

Quote from: Wanderer on February 16, 2012, 06:11:28 AM

Amendment No. 1: Change name to Bayreuth Conventions.
Regards,
Navneeth

madaboutmahler

Really really really really excited!!!!
[asin]B0074B2MV8[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock