New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D. and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jason

Quote from: Todd on July 14, 2017, 06:24:07 AM

Lots of PBS this fall.

I hope they include his Westminster Piano Trio recordings.

Brian

SEPTEMBER - PART I

**new Emma Kirkby alert**

Could Chandos' habit of *not* saying the traditional Mozart concerto #s be any more assholeish? That's concertos 14 and 19, for those like me who do not have superhuman Kv. # memories.

September from Alpha

Brian

SEPTEMBER - PART II

Sarge alert!

For those waiting for this collection to be boxed, it is superb and 1, 4, and 5 in particular rank among the best ever, with 1 possibly the very best (I was present for the live recording of 5):

Brian

SEPTEMBER - PART III (Naxos)

Bonus!

And two Ondine releases with no artwork yet:

- Prokofiev Concertos 2 & 5 with Mustonen and Hannu Lintu
- Christian Tetzlaff Bach Sonatas & Partitas

Mandryka

Bob van Asperen, Popma van Oevering
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Maestro267

Quote from: Mandryka on July 16, 2017, 11:21:28 PM

Bob van Asperen, Popma van Oevering

I never understand why, with a 'complete' disc like this, they don't put the works in numerical order. It's not like they have to place them in a different order to fit them onto two discs.

Brian

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 17, 2017, 12:26:22 AM
I never understand why, with a 'complete' disc like this, they don't put the works in numerical order. It's not like they have to place them in a different order to fit them onto two discs.
I don't often mind. It depends on whether the artist has put thought into presenting the music in an order where the transitions and contrasts are interesting/delightful, or whether the result sounds random. Have heard such things both ways. This recital of suites needn't necessarily worry about the cool feature some pianists do with, e.g., Chopin, of "building" suites by pairing works related in key.

Todd

A Manfred Honeck led The Epic of Gilgamesh.  Yes, please.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

Quote from: Todd on July 17, 2017, 06:21:23 AM

A Manfred Honeck led The Epic of Gilgamesh.  Yes, please.
Looks nteresting, particularly since given the line-up of soloists, I gather this will be using the original English text rather than the Czech translation used in the old Supraphon recording...

North Star

Quote from: ritter on July 17, 2017, 06:36:45 AM
Looks nteresting, particularly since given the line-up of soloists, I gather this will be using the original English text rather than the Czech translation used in the old Supraphon recording...
Indeed!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Image for the new Zimerman Schubert:

And a second high-profile recording of Op 97 is coming.  Which to get?  Both?

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wakefield

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 10, 2017, 05:46:18 AM
That strikes me as strange—such a popular, iconic work.

Maybe because what is essential is invisible to the eye?   ;) :D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Just noticed this
[asin]B071P9871F[/asin]

Spineur

A new album of Jonas Kaufmann in french repertoire

The usual suspects: Massenet, Bizet, Gounod

Jo498

Quote from: Jason on July 14, 2017, 07:30:30 PM
[Badura-Skoda Box]

I hope they include his Westminster Piano Trio recordings.
Not all of them I think. It contains both of Schubert's, Beethoven's "Ghost" and a few by Haydn.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Paul_Thomas

Quote from: Spineur on July 18, 2017, 09:51:17 PM
A new album of Jonas Kaufmann in french repertoire

The usual suspects: Massenet, Bizet, Gounod

Full tracklisting here

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88985390762

Jason

Quote from: Jo498 on July 18, 2017, 11:44:10 PM
Not all of them I think. It contains both of Schubert's, Beethoven's "Ghost" and a few by Haydn.

Thanks. I have an LP of a Dvorak trio they recorded but I don't know their whole discography. I'm glad the set includes both Schubert trios.

Christo

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 17, 2017, 12:26:22 AMI never understand why, with a 'complete' disc like this, they don't put the works in numerical order. It's not like they have to place them in a different order to fit them onto two discs.
Also depends on the logic of the published numerical order, which might be very different from the order in which they were composed.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948